Is 200ish HP achievable in a 2.8 by heypal
Started on: 10-09-2017 12:46 PM
Replies: 10 (540 views)
Last post by: Australian on 10-16-2017 05:24 AM
heypal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kind of (reliable) horsepower is the 2.8L capable of? Can you reach 200 HP with tweaks to the bore, intake and exhaust?? My Formula has 207,XXX on the odometer. The car is in great shape so I plan to restore it starting next winter. I always figured I would swap it out for a 3.8 SC, but that is more work than I would like to take on. If I can squeeze 200 out of the 2.8L I would be happy with that!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Start with a 3.4 block...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140469.html

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-09-2017).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heypal:

Can you reach 200 HP with tweaks to the bore, intake and exhaust??

I would say no, you would need to do more than that. You are looking for 60 hp, about 43 % increase.

For starters I think a cam upgrade would additionally be required.

Other options: forced air such as turbo.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-09-2017).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say do not waste your money. Go with the 3800 or leave it alone. At the end you may spend as much. I went through that with my 3.4. Great learning experience but expensive.
zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you already have any kind of motor swap on your mind, I wouldn't waste any time dumping money into the 2.8. You will spend a lot of money, and in the end I don't think you will be happy with the end result.

I personally bought an 87 GT with a built up 2.8 (ported intake, exhaust, heads, mild cam bigger springs, blue-printed and balanced, bigger injectors, 7730 ecu swap, 4t60 auto swap etc., everything you could do to a 2.8 without a turbo or supercharger.) And in all honesty, it really doesn't feel that much better than stock, especially when I look at the $$ on the reciepts for what has been done to the drivetrain.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I documented all of my 2.8 engine mods and posted them here -

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/139779.html

For sure it's no where near 200HP but the gurus around these parts estimate 20-25HP gain.

Then I went on a weight loss binge -

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140453.html

Again, "They say" every 100lb loss equals 10HP. If so, I picked up the equivalent of another 7-9 HP by reducing the weight.

So total improvement is somewhere around 30HP which feels about right to the "butt dyno".

I can also say that having put a lot of mods on a lots of cars over the years, many of them were almost undetectable. I'd say the same for the Fiero until I added the 1.6 rockers. It pulled all the other mods together. Without sounds too touchy, feely, there's a harmony under the hood.

So you can tell I'm quite happy with the performance of the car now. Well balanced handling and it feels so much more responsive.

That said, it might not be enough of an improvement for you if you really are looking for 200HP.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 3.4 isn't a bad idea if you're looking for a fresh block and you might see some gains vs your warn 2.8 if it is getting low on compression. If your looking for a target HP, a 3800 sc is more economical.
heypal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for heypalSend a Private Message to heypalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the posts guys. I guess the main objective would be to take the 2.8 and rebuilt it. So while I am at it, improve the performance of it with this and that. I have never dug into an engine before so for me I think it would be a rewarding experience to take the trusty 2.8L and give it new life. Plus I am a sucker for the venerable red "Fiero" intake plenum! A good friend of mine is a diesel mechanic who plays around with a Fox Body Mustang who has the skills to assist me in a rebuild.
AWautoworks

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AWautoworksSend a Private Message to AWautoworksEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
find eph_kay on the fourm. he has a 2.8 that is pushing 200 or above but then again it is forced induction.
turbo noises
He has a little write up on it. our build page
Operation T-top Widebody

As far as engine swaps 3900 NA is pushing about as much HP as a 3800SC and takes boost very well from what I am told
He did the 3900 swap in my car its pretty quick.

[This message has been edited by AWautoworks (edited 10-10-2017).]

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2017 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by heypal:

Plus I am a sucker for the venerable red "Fiero" intake plenum!

That's one of the bonuses of the 3.4, you can use all the Fiero top end stuff. The biggest modification is the starter location, the 3.4 starter location interferes with the transaxle/axle. There's a shelf to mount it in the correct location for the Fiero, you just have to drill and tap the mounting holes, there are jigs available for this.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2017 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Throw a turbo on it build it up to 200hp easy and enjoy it for it's final week. Save up for engine swap hang on to turbo.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock