Started on: 10-04-2017 07:31 AM
Replies: 24 (571 views)
Last post by: RayOtton on 10-08-2017 11:58 PM
RayOtton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Didn't make it, but didn't miss by much.

Here's the list of things I did. All weights are net. For instance, I replaced the battery with one of the lightweight AGM types so the weight loss listed is 20 lbs, not 31 lbs:

Removed 1/2 of the secondary grill on the underside of the trunk lid vents - .75 lbs
Wing delete - 11 lbs
Battery - 20 lbs
Hi-torque starter - 7.25 lbs
Floor mats - 6 lbs
Front license plate bracket - .75 lbs
Jack - 6 lbs
Lug wrench and bracket - 3 lbs
Spare tire -29 lbs
Hi-flow cat - 4 lbs
Cat heat shield - 2 lbs
Exhaust tips - 2.5 lbs
RH wiper - 1 lb

Total of 93.25 lbs.
Some notes:

Removing the spare and jack basically gives the car two usable trunks. I do have two cans of fix-a-flat on board.

The secondary grill is riveted to the bottom of the deck lid heat vents. I assume it is for cosmetic reasons so you can't see inside the engine bay. If you remove the 1/2 that is closest to the firewall you'd hardly notice the difference.

The new cat is so much smaller than the old one that removing the heat shield seemed logical. It's been off the car for 3 years without any trace of extra heat affecting the underbody.

When I took the RH wiper off I replaced the LH wiper with a 26" unit. It clears about 3/4 of the windshield. I don't know how this would go for state inspections but you'd have two options, put the wiper back on for inspections or, as I did here in Virginia, register the car as a classic. At that point there are no more annual inspections.

It was very simple to screw the front plate directly to the front bumper with a light plastic frame around it. Can't even tell anything is different.

None of these weight loss mods affect the functionality of the car. In other words, you won't even notice them. Well, that's not true, sadly, the wife noticed the extra trunk space on our last weekend jaunt.

The battery is the one thing that you have to watch. In the winter months I have to keep a trickle charger on it or it goes dead in about a week. In the summer I've gone as long a 3 weeks without running the car and it's been OK.

I replaced the exhaust tips with a couple of single outlet chrome pieces that don't stick out as far and look pretty good.

Though it's not on the list I also got ruthless about carrying "stuff". I was able to unload maps, cassettes and other various bits of junk for an additional 5 lb loss.

Also, if the new diet works I might just make it to the 100lb mark.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a heads up...

The spare tire is part of the front crash protection engineering.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got a 26" wiper to fit? I'm using a 24" wiper, and it comes very close to the top left corner of the windshield. But the big wiper sweeps across about 2/3 of the windshield. I like that.

Do you carry passengers very often? The passenger seat weighs about 35-40 lb. The passenger side visor is another pound or so.

Have fun!
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I saved 50 lbs.(!) on my '82 BMW 320i just buy swapping the stock low-back seats for Corvette seats. The Fiero seats probably weight as much or more than the BMW seats...
The carpet padding weighs a ton. You could remove it & put the carpet back in - would result in a little louder cockpit.
Just a couple of things that will make a big difference.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dont know about that. Fiero seats in my opinion are very light compared to other seats I have messed with. Now granted you could swap in racing seats and those would be lighter but you would be giving up some creature comfort for sure.

olejoedad, i was not aware that the spare tire was part of the crash protection. That is crazy to think about.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

You got a 26" wiper to fit? I'm using a 24" wiper, and it comes very close to the top left corner of the windshield. But the big wiper sweeps across about 2/3 of the windshield. I like that.

Do you carry passengers very often? The passenger seat weighs about 35-40 lb. The passenger side visor is another pound or so.

Have fun!

The 26" wiper blade comes within a 1/4 inch of the top of the windshield molding. I'm happy with the coverage.

I did not know about the spare being part of the crash protection, thanks for that info.

Won't be removing the seat as this is our weekend jaunt vehicle. Same for the soundproofing under the carpet.

I don't think there's much left to remove without impinging on the practicality of the car.

I would like to put more modern wheels on it at some point so maybe I could reduce weight in that area.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was lucky enough to have ordered my 85 SE V6 with the V6, the WS6 suspension...and basically nothing else....The car weighed approx' 2580 to begin....Since, I have added the 86-88 GT rear bodywork, the 88 rear subframe, 3.4 F-body long-block, Getrag 5 spd......Plus some ignition spares and a tool box up front, so now it weighs 2640 with half a tank. Oh yeah, I removed those vent grills (Which also keep leaves out of the engine bay) and the trunk blower/tubes.....And to improve weight distribution I moved the battery up front, under the spare...(Weight dist' 44/56)...

I knew about the tire being part of the crash structure.....But what effect would the battery have being "Inside" the spare wheel?

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 10-04-2017).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Cat heat shield - 2 lbs
RH wiper - 1 lb.

Where these items weighed? Seems heavy.

I too am a fan of running light
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, everything was weighed.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet - good question.

The way the battery box is made and mounted, and covered by the flipped over spare, I'm thinking that there is going to be little change in the cars crashworthiness.

Hmm, maybe I should add a rubber flap to act as a splash guard to cover my battery......

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
other thoughts:
Remove / replace muffler? Go single outlet?
Remove washer fluid reservoir?
Flush mount headlights remove buckets and motors.
Need the heater? If not remove core and lines.
A/C?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 10-04-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The flush mount headlights are worth exploring, thanks.

I'm happy with the look of the exhaust. If I went to single outlet I'd have an empty notch on one side of the rear valence whcih I wouldn't want.

All the other ideas would reduce the comfort level too much. This ain't a racer, it's a weekender.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2017 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add weight. Be comfortable. Or buy a Caterham.
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2017 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

As my old wrestling coach used to say after not making weigh-ins, "fat and happy"
88cryan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88cryanSend a Private Message to 88cryanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

My thoughts also. I think its funny that people had to have the "light weight" Formulas with crank windows, manual mirrors, no a/c....but the owner weighs 250 pounds lol
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The point of the post is that there are things you can do to reduce weight WITHOUT affecting comfort or practicality.

None of these things has affected the comfort level and the least practical thing I've done is the battery replacement. But since the car is a semi-garage queen it's no big deal to keep it on a trickle charger in the cold weather.

The spare tire? That's a call each person would have to make for themselves.

BTW, with the "Bright Line" diet the two of us are down over 40 lbs.

About the same as removing the passenger seat, so there.

jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2017 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One day.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2017 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Old thread we had on the go that might help...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050410-2-056199.html

There's also this one:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/112942.html

Coulda sworn there was another one with multiple pages where people were listing things they weighed...

[This message has been edited by Stubby79 (edited 10-06-2017).]

Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can also replace your wheels and tires and improve drivability.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for bringing that up. I do have new wheels on the bucket list but I'm very happy with the new Bridgestone 15" tires and plan to keep them.

I'd like to get some 5 spoke mag type wheels a lot like the Pony Wheels I had on my '91 5.0 Mustang. Classic look, not fussy because,some of the new wheels are just too busy for my taste.

Truthfully the whole wheel thing is a bit confusing. I guess that's why it comes up on a regular basis around here.

Since I have an '88 I know I need to consider the rear wheel offset.

So do I look for matching wheels but with different offsets front and back?

Or, as some members suggest, getting 4 wheels with the same offset but basically split the difference?

But in all honesty, how does that look?

And of course, how much lighter would 5 spoke mags be compared to the OE basket weave wheels?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88cryan:

I think its funny that people had to have the "light weight" Formulas with crank windows, manual mirrors, no a/c....but the owner weighs 250 pounds lol

Exactly my thoughts!

I'm not suggesting this is the case here, but... it always astonishes me when I read of herculean efforts to improve a car's performance and/or MPG by an owner who is himself a hundred pounds (or more!) overweight.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-08-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, for the record I'm 66 years old, 6'3", 203 lbs, LDL of 180 and a resting heart beat of 44. Hope that straightens out the weight loss issue.

FWIW, my PSA is a little bit high so I have to have those fun interviews with the doc every six months. Don't even get a dinner invite afterwards.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ray, I don't know what body style you drive, and this might not be relevant, but if you have a fastback, convert it to a notchie. Instant savings of about 200 lbs.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RayOtton:

Well, for the record I'm 66 years old, 6'3", 203 lbs, LDL of 180 and a resting heart beat of 44. Hope that straightens out the weight loss issue.

Ray, over the years I've seen a lot of images posted here where the PFF members were a little, ummm... "beefy" shall we say. Glad to hear (for your heath's sake) that you're not one of them!
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2017 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, it hasn't always been easy.

While caring for my bed bound wife I was stuck in this house 24/7/365. I slowly gained weight over a 10 year period and got up to 225.

After she died I did a good job by getting down to 210. Gotta look good if you're getting back int he dating game, right?

Got remarried in 2011 to a good woman who had been in a similar situation. She too had slowly gained some weight and hadn't been able to shake it.

Then, about a year ago she discovered "Bright Line Eating". Basically, no sugar and no flour. There's other stuff, along the lines of AA I guess you'd say.

She lost 33 lbs and dropped her LDL from 260 to 210. The docs were impressed.

Of course, as any guy knows, if the cook goes on a diet so do you. That's how I lost the rest of the weight.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock