Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New springs only 2 inches longer seemed to raise my car 4 inches?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New springs only 2 inches longer seemed to raise my car 4 inches? by SP1200
Started on: 09-15-2017 08:15 PM
Replies: 5 (246 views)
Last post by: SP1200 on 09-16-2017 08:12 PM
SP1200

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I had some 12 inch 88 springs on the front of my 1987 GT and found it to be to low. I got tired of it.
I just changed from the 12" used 88 (ARD) springs to a pair of new Mogg # 6556 13.75"

...so this is almost a 2" difference...but the car looks like it was raised 4 to 5 inches.
I just drove the car a little bit, and they ether are not fully settled...or that just is how it is?

Can new springs really accommodate for that much lift?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
wait... I think it just looks like more than it is.

So I had about 2 maybe 3 inches of space in the wheelwell with my 12 inch springs, now I just measured 5 inches.
maybe I will drop 1 inch with settling. Or maybe I'll cut one coil of the new springs later down the road.

lol. but WOW it just looks like a LOT of space now.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SP1200:

I just changed from the 12" used 88 (ARD) springs to a pair of new Mogg # 6556 13.75"

So I had about 2 maybe 3 inches of space in the wheelwell with my 12 inch springs, now I just measured 5 inches.

Keep in mind that 1" difference at the coils becomes about 1.5" (I forget the exact ratio) at the wheels. It's not 1 to 1.

And that's not even taking into consideration that the new springs might be stiffer than the replaced ones.

Did you get the springs positioned correctly so that the end of the coils sat in the little "pocket" of the lower control arms? If not, that would add to the height as well.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-16-2017).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Keep in mind that 1" difference at the coils becomes about 1.5" (I forget the exact ratio) at the wheels. It's not 1 to 1.
And that's not even taking into consideration that the new springs might be stiffer than the replaced ones.

Agreed. It can be a bit of trial and error to find the right one.

When I needed to replace my GT's springs I used '87 Chevette springs (see RockAuto)
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-110255.html

Raybestos lists different sets of front springs for Chevette.
http://www.raybestoschass is...204Cyl%20L%20(-)(98)

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-16-2017).]

SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Did you get the springs positioned correctly so that the end of the coils sat in the little "pocket" of the lower control arms? If not, that would add to the height as well.

I believe so. Possibly not. I was more focused on aligning the end of the top coil to the exact position to the upper spring bushing that was stuck to the bump stop post. It was ether get it to align or remove the rubber altogether. Thinking now I wish i had removed it.

IIRC the bottom coil I remember was facing to the inside of the car because I was prying on it to get the springs to fit in.
SP1200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SP1200Send a Private Message to SP1200Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SP1200

169 posts
Member since May 2016

^ Thats a great idea. I just might use lowering ball joints and not mess witht the springs again.
How many inches lowering is that ball joint there?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock