Started on: 07-22-2010 11:02 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: fierosound on 07-23-2010 06:51 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Just fixed my front-end bottoming problems with NEW Chevette springs.

My 1987 GT has 1" lowering spindles on it, which are meant to be used with STOCK length coil springs. But springs wear out, so even with the stiffest FJH springs up front, I was having problems, and any other old springs I got were equally bad (have a collection now). Although the car looked good sitting static, the tire clearance was a bit less than I'd prefer (about 2 fingers). That was less once I got in, even worse with 2 people in the car. Hitting bumps, or even braking hard (have LeBaron rotors etc), the nose would dive and the wheelwell liners would rub on the tops of the tires. The car would also seem to "wander" on braking, and I had checked tire pressure, alignment etc trying to eliminate the problem.

You CAN'T get new Fiero springs, other than lowering ones, so I looked up what was available for Chevette,
since I knew the 84-87 Fiero suspension is similar. Listing at Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/cat...040218,parttype,7512

The wire diameter and inside diameter matched the Fiero's springs,
so I got the "tallest" springs RAYBESTOS Part # 5851118 Free Height=14.06"

There were about 3/4 INCH longer than the springs I pulled out of the car. While the Fiero springs are tapered and a bit smaller diameter at the top end, the Chevette springs are the same diameter at both ends. That does not cause any problem. It still fits into the rubber donut and into the upper support fine, and sits in the lower control arm perfectly.

I now have "3 fingers" of clearance, the front doesn't drop when 2 people get in, and the car rides great. The "wander" on braking is gone too.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-22-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post

You CAN'T get new Fiero springs, other than lowering ones

Says who?
http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=59020&d=332&p=1

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
So $35 + shipping for a new set of springs.... that is a very good deal. Might have to get me some too!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tbone42:

Says who? http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=59020&d=332&p=1

OK, so that's the ONLY source, but I didn't want to return to the original "4x4 look".
Asked about them here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/100970.html

And I only needed the fronts, as I have Eibach's on the rear.
Chevette front springs only cost me $53/pair locally.

How the car sits now (after 1 day) with the Chevette front springs - may settle a touch more.
Sorry, I don't have a "before" picture, but front tire/fender clearance was about half this,
and even less once you put 2 people in the car.

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic!! Looks like a simpler solution then cutting a coil off the stock springs also. Plus you get new instead of 25+ years old. Nice find!
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Looks like a simpler solution then cutting a coil off the stock springs also.

Actually, I needed the new springs to RAISE the front end up a bit.

The ones I bought are longer than the Fiero springs I had
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104712.html

MadDanceSkillz

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadDanceSkillzSend a Private Message to MadDanceSkillzDirect Link to This Post
Will the Chevette springs fit on the front of an 88 if 1" worth of coil was cut? I have heard from several people that you can use 88 front springs to lower an 84-87 1".
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Actually, I needed the new springs to RAISE the front end up a bit.

I understand but as they sit it looks like they are lower then good stock springs. Deffinately sits lower then my 84 SE. I assume you are running stock diameter tires? Since your using Eibach in the rear they look to be slightly lower then stock. The unloaded height may be taller but your fieros springs have 25 years of settling on them. Maybe I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-22-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

I understand but as they sit it looks like they are lower then good stock springs. Deffinately sits lower then my 84 SE. I assume you are running stock diameter tires? Since your using Eibach in the rear they look to be slightly lower then stock. The unloaded height may be taller but your fieros springs have 25 years of settling on them. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have 1" lowering spindles. With time, the springs got weaker and the front end sagged even more.
My car never did look overly high in the front even when new. But the back looked "jacked up".

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-23-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

I have 1" lowering spindles. With time, the springs got weaker and the front end sagged.

Oh right. You mentioned that. Oops.

Just for the sake of decumentation. I have a set of ST front springs here. They are 11" height with an unknown spring rate. The WCF springs on the car I believe measured at 10" with a 400lb spring rate. I guess 14" does seem about right for stock spring size. I thought I remembered measuring my only good set of stock springs at 15".
fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MadDanceSkillz:

Will the Chevette springs fit on the front of an 88 if 1" worth of coil was cut? I have heard from several people that you can use 88 front springs to lower an 84-87 1".

Don't know. Chevette springs are closer to 84-87 lengths. Why not just buy the 88 lowering springs?
Maybe look here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104659.html

PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Just swapped the ST springs into the 84SE. Springs that came out (the originals) are 13". It has always had the dreaded 5 finger gap.
gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound :
I'm likin' those wheels, please tell me more!

Norm
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting this! When I restored my old '64 Chevy back in the Dark Ages of the early 80s, I bought my front springs from JC Whitney because I was in college, poor and didn't have any money for frivolous things. Remembering this, I found Chevette front springs on their website this morning for $40. They are made by Raybestos.

They also listed the Fiero rack and pinion for $154 but when I opened the link, it turned out to be a Chevette. Maybe my earlier search was still in their cache.

Edit: Rock Auto is cheaper--I should have looked there first.

[This message has been edited by starlightcoupe (edited 07-23-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

They also listed the Fiero rack and pinion for $154 but when I opened the link, it turned out to be a Chevette. Maybe my earlier search was still in their cache.

Nice work on the Chevette Springs but I just wonder if they will fit and work on completely stock -87 Fieros. Also we must consider spring rates that will dicatate ride comfort and control.

Also be advised that rebuilt steering racks are no very hard to find in the aftermarket, and quite expensive when you do find them. However, they can be easily rebuilt using Rodney Dickmans repair bushing which is a PERFECT fit.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Nice work on the Chevette Springs but I just wonder if they will fit and work on completely stock -87 Fieros. Also we must consider spring rates that will dictate ride comfort and control.

Agreed. It's all "trial and error" - you won't know until you try it out.

Basically, I bought the longest springs from the heaviest Chevette (4-door hatchback w/ A/C) and I was worried as to how it would work. I was expecting that it may ride too stiff or that I'd have to cut a coil. It's worked out fine because I have extra weight up front with my stereo amp, capacitors etc. - and the car feels balanced. I don't have that "front suspension feels stiffer than the back" (or the reverse) feeling when driving.

Unfortunately, the other springs on the page (Husky, Moog, AC Delco) don't give specs, but I'd expect them to be made to the same dimensions and specs..

All three Raybestos spring sets have the same wire diameter, but have different heights and likely a different number of turns (coils). For a stock Fiero, a better choice may be the shorter RAYBESTOS Part # 5851199 for the lighter 3-door hatchback w/o A/C. For $40, even if it eventually needs one coil cut for a lower ride height, at least you're starting with a new spring. If anyone tries this - LET US KNOW HERE.

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-24-2010).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

fierosound

15141 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by gt88norm:

Fierosound : I'm likin' those wheels, please tell me more!

Norm

Thanks. Prime Model 260 - 16"x7" with 35mm offset - perfect fit - discontinued years ago. //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...011127-1-008467.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock