Started on: 09-15-2017 03:17 AM
Replies: 12 (894 views)
Last post by: Fiero84Freak on 09-26-2017 10:38 AM
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For those that have 84-85 Fieros, or even those that have done something different, unique or new to add or replace a 3rd brake light, what have you done?

I have an 85 (pre 3rd brake light), and wanting to add one. Looking for creative options and ideas.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd like to add one outside under the rear clips lip, I want to use an OEM led exterior light from another car, maybe a cadi because I don't have much faith in the aftermarket led array type lights. If it used just a single standard bulb ssocket or two, it would be easy to swap out LEDs until you found reliable ones.

[This message has been edited by jmbishop (edited 09-15-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest is tapping white wire out from Brake light switch to turn light switch. Then retrofit Fiero or another car or use something looks like a brake light.
You don't want to be a target for cops etc w/ odd colors or lights.
Don't use side marker and some others. Many are too dim and DOT label is wrong this use.

In late 80's to 90's... Many had "kits" to install this w/ a "module" so can tap @ rear red brake/turn lights but doesn't always work right.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Doober

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2017 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DooberSend a Private Message to DooberEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like those... much more modern look.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2017 07:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used a 87 Pontiac t/a one that was in the center of the rear wrap around spoiler it bolts to the spoiler and the deck lid, it also stops the fiero wing sag in center,and less of the thing flapping when you shut the deck lid..

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2017 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I integrated mine into the decklid, but this could also be done to a GT spoiler.

It's a Subaru piece, although I saw a Nissan piece that was identical.

Bob
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2017 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:
I integrated mine into the decklid, but this could also be done to a GT spoiler.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Looks ok but is missing the point of 3rd brake light.
Mounted high and in the middle so many people can see when on including car behind car that's often tailgating you. (I ignore car/truck behind often blocks this for many reasons. Is how feds think at time they write a new FMVSS rule.)
Is part of why OE Fiero 3rd is where its mounted.

Summary: https://itstillruns.com/thi...ght-law-7694370.html
longer story: http://articles.latimes.com.../fi-24385_1_air-bags
Location is in FMVSS 108 section 5.3 under high-mounted brake light. In short... Cars can have 3rd light anywhere centered in rear glass. Outside then must be behind glass or mounted w/in a few inches of rear glass and centered.
Your location is likely "legal" but doesn't work as good as OE and others. Wing lights are better but Fiero is low so many doesn't work very well either. (Many wings versions on Fiero to say is better/worse then OE.)
While OE Fiero light is a bit hidden at top, light output can be viewed by most big trucks. LED at edge like fierosound can work but just slap any LED in/on it can be too bright/dim and create glare... People may see the light but too bright and glare can make problems and affect drivers behind you.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2017 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Wow.... not one mention of it not being DOT compliant

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-20-2017 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RCR:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Mounted high and in the middle so many people can see when on including car behind car that's often tailgating you. (I ignore car/truck behind often blocks this for many reasons. Is how feds think at time they write a new FMVSS rule.)
Is part of why OE Fiero 3rd is where its mounted.

Summary: https://itstillruns.com/thi...ght-law-7694370.html
longer story: http://articles.latimes.com.../fi-24385_1_air-bags
Location is in FMVSS 108 section 5.3 under high-mounted brake light. In short... Cars can have 3rd light anywhere centered in rear glass. Outside then must be behind glass or mounted w/in a few inches of rear glass and centered.
Your location is likely "legal" but doesn't work as good as OE and others. Wing lights are better but Fiero is low so many doesn't work very well either. (Many wings versions on Fiero to say is better/worse then OE.)
While OE Fiero light is a bit hidden at top, light output can be viewed by most big trucks. LED at edge like fierosound can work but just slap any LED in/on it can be too bright/dim and create glare... People may see the light but too bright and glare can make problems and affect drivers behind you.[/QUOTE]
Odd that the Pontiac t/a had it between the spoiler and deck lid.. And it passed the rules on them!!
Also, if people are so sidetracked that they can't see the road looking at the screen of a phone (isn't that todays scape goat) no matter where you put it won't matter..
Sitting in my Indy a camery trunk lid is almost the height of the roof of my car. nose on most cars are not much lower anymore, crossovers/etc so it's a moot point.
Adding these 3rd lights was the start of the wrong direction in the first place, instead of better training on driving and testing, they lowered the bar, now it's the car will do everything brake/turn hell drive..
I'm more worried about a pick up truck that I'm beside not seeing my car as todays trucks are tall and the fiero does not even show up in the mirrors unless they have the optional towing ones..
I have found the best way is to slow down to stop and be rolling with 3 car lengths left, so you can gauge if the vehicle behind you is even going to stop as they gives me an out.. even if it is just moving forward while on the horn..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 09-20-2017).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2017 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
Odd that the Pontiac t/a had it between the spoiler and deck lid.. And it passed the rules on them!!
Also, if people are so sidetracked that they can't see the road looking at the screen of a phone (isn't that todays scape goat) no matter where you put it won't matter..
Sitting in my Indy a camery trunk lid is almost the height of the roof of my car. nose on most cars are not much lower anymore, crossovers/etc so it's a moot point.
Adding these 3rd lights was the start of the wrong direction in the first place, instead of better training on driving and testing, they lowered the bar, now it's the car will do everything brake/turn hell drive..
I'm more worried about a pick up truck that I'm beside not seeing my car as todays trucks are tall and the fiero does not even show up in the mirrors unless they have the optional towing ones..
I have found the best way is to slow down to stop and be rolling with 3 car lengths left, so you can gauge if the vehicle behind you is even going to stop as they gives me an out.. even if it is just moving forward while on the horn..
whine all you like but morons will still get licenses. Worse US has little rules who trains new drivers... So same fools claiming can "multitasking" while driving, have no clue about tailgating, and worse, are allowed to teach new drivers.

You should avoid driving beside any truck and not just w/ Fiero.
Big trucks can't smaller trucks and SUVs and cars have no chance. Pickups Vans and SUV can't see many cars. People watching YT Crash videos are only seeing some examples but few viewers know why many many crashes have same root causes. UK has even worse problems because they drive left of road but trucks coming from EU is setup for driving right of road.
New "blind spot" systems may help but will take Years to have them on most vehicles. Semi and their Trailers could take decades. US truck co's and makers still fight NHTSA about ABS on trucks and trailers.

Old wings have light under the wing because many were stuck w/ standard bulbs and needed room for fixtures. Most look like crap and perform poorly.
One of first OE LED are 3rd brake in wings because take less space. But Many OE LEDs for 3rd brake have failed part to whole unit. I've lost track years ago seeing bad ones installed from factory. Even vehicles only ~5 years old have dead LEDs. Most are wired as 3 LED sets w/ several sets in parallel so 3 LEDs dies the rest stay good. Good thing because many are installed so can't replace them w/o damage to the wing or what even mounted to.
Not just cars. Big trucks w/ factory install LED for stop/turn/parking lights have problems too.
PFF
System Bot
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2017 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

That looks really good! I'm considering doing something like that.

Currently, I'm using the stock replacement LED bulb from Black Top Racing. The 3rd brake light housing is cracked from heat (from the original bulb). That was my motivation to switch to an LED bulb. The light output is a little pale (slightly pinkish). But aside from that, it seems to work well. I think it's a viable alternative for people who want to keep the stock 3rd brake light housing.

Fiero84Freak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2017 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a photograph of it but on my last Fiero I had I bought one of the 3rd brake light masks from The Fiero Store and spray bombed it black. It was the one that read "Fiero GT" (on a fastback). I also changed out the 30 year old bulb for something that would light up brighter. It was nice because it was very stealthy, as dark red and black is not much different from far away, until you applied the brakes. It was only like $12 so it was affordable.

I know you're looking to adapt something else to the car but if you go with the Fiero-specific 3rd brake light something like that might be a nice option.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock