Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Why do people sell their Fiero after an engine swap ? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why do people sell their Fiero after an engine swap ? by robert1234
Started on: 09-07-2017 10:09 PM
Replies: 63 (2709 views)
Last post by: jim94 on 12-17-2017 08:25 PM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I keep seeing cars for sale after a swap , even an LSx engine.
I'm trying to understand if you put all that work in, why would you want to sell ?
Can someone explain this to me? I understand bad health would make you sell.
If I went to all the trouble to do a swap, I'm keeping it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't you always want to do another swap even better than the first one?

Swappers are restless and often perfectionists. If there is something not quite right about the first project, there is always another project!

(My Fiero is completely stock.... )
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Life goes on, it's not exclusive to swaps. Some people lose interest or just don't keep up with cars. Some people would rather put the cash somewhere else.
Fiero Vice

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that too. Maybe they couldn't figure out those bugs or not happy with the result they were hoping for & don't want to spend more money on it.
Stubby79

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stubby79Send a Private Message to Stubby79Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Probably because an engine swap alone doesn't change it in to the supercar they hoped for.
Fiero Vice

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-07-2017 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ViceSend a Private Message to Fiero ViceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Wouldn't you always want to do another swap even better than the first one?

Swappers are restless and often perfectionists. If there is something not quite right about the first project, there is always another project!

Would it be cheaper to swap the engine again with a better engine than to look for another Fiero again?

alcazar88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2017 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alcazar88Send a Private Message to alcazar88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most I see have very few miles after the swap. A question I have always had is, how many people have driven at lest 50k miles after a swap? I would like more power, but my factory engine is very reliable. I have the v6.
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stubby79:

Probably because an engine swap alone doesn't change it in to the supercar they hoped for.

^^^^^^

This.

A lot of people put in a fast engine and realize they need big brakes and all new suspension and then they still have that 80s interior. You can drop tons of cash and still have a clunky 80s car. Some folks are disappointed and realize they should have just bought the Corvette.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

A lot of people put in a fast engine and realize they need big brakes and all new suspension... Some folks are disappointed and realize they should have just bought the Corvette.

I wanted more ponies for autocross. 300 HP would do. I love my Formula, but wasn't prepared to go through all the hassle of a swap. Bought a '98 JDM Impreza STi instead. Now I have the ponies... and AWD.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can imagine selling a swapped car because there's "nothing left to do". Or that perception, anyway.
I sold a swapped Chevy Monza 2+2 with a 350 / 4 speed, because there was nothing else I could do to it without compromizing the reliability. I didn't want a full-on racecar, and it was already a stupidly quick street car.
tshark

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've also noticed this phenomenon. Perhaps, after a swap has taken years to do, they've lost interest and moved on. Sometimes, life happens. Either way, a swap can really bring on a lot of frustrations. Eventually, they have negative associations with the Fiero, and fun somewhere else. Then, too, if they don't have supportive people to interact with, they can quickly decide to go the way other PFF members have gone.
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most engine swaps are full of problems, no matter how good you are. You get rid of it from aggravation . I had 2 cases of this. My v8 Fiero, No matter what I poured into the transmission in money or parts, didnt stay together just driving on the street. I sold a pretty much brand new bumper to bumper Fiero with a v8 swap that had prob $20k in for $5000 cash. I restored my SuperBee from bumper to bumper better than new. I didnt have the time or room at the time to pull the low mile 413 engine out of a Chrysler I bought to install it in place of its original engine. The shop that did it had a drag car, and I found out later they put their old beat to death engine in my car and kept my 413 for themselves since they look identical. Just installed all my accessories and a nice coat of paint. I sold it shortly after for a fifth of what Id spent on it. By the time I figured out what happened, hed closed up shop and moved with my stolen engine.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 09-08-2017).]

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suspect that a lot of the ones for sale come from, "I did it but now it's finished and I need to keep busy".......And some from people who took YEARS to get it done and have just worn out....

Also, there are a few who>>>>> "I am going to have 300 hp- NOW I am the fastest man alive!"....Followed by, "I NOW have 400 hp- I am the fastest man alive!" and again followed by...."I have 500 hp...Finally- I am the fastest man alive!!!".........Followed by........
Quad GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad GTSend a Private Message to Quad GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I swapped a 2.3 Quad H.O. 16V into my Fiero and have logged over 200 000 kms on it (120K miles)
So some of us actually do drive swapped Fieros

[This message has been edited by Quad GT (edited 09-08-2017).]

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I can imagine selling a swapped car because there's "nothing left to do". Or that perception, anyway.

That's like those guys who build, say, a Chevelle or Mustang or whatever and then promptly sell it and start something new. Must be after its done, its time to move on.

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am about 56,000 miles since the swap.

Originally posted by alcazar88:

Most I see have very few miles after the swap. A question I have always had is, how many people have driven at lest 50k miles after a swap? I would like more power, but my factory engine is very reliable. I have the v6.

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are countless reasons...

I am guilty of doing a swap (4.9), running it for a month and pulling it back out because I didn't like the power band and it wasn't the direction I wanted to take my car. I did the same thing with a 69 Camaro around the same time... (V8 car, front disk brake, 4 speed, 12 bolt). Co-worker needed to sell it due to the wheezy 283 having issues. I gave something like $2500 for it. Cleaned the car up, fixed a lot of minor issues, installed the 406 and actually drove the car. Within about 10 miles, I said hell no, as it road like a pickup truck and I was used to Fieros and C4 covettes. I knew I wouldn't be happy driving it, so I sold it on ebay for $5700. I used the proceeds to build my first SBC Fiero.

Another time, I needed a SBC engine in my truck and didn't want to spend $2000 replacing it. I would rather spend the $2000 on a more powerful engine in my Fiero, which at the time had a SBC that matched the engine in my truck. So my SBC/Getrag Fiero got taken apart after having the swap completed for 6 years and 45K miles. As I researched options for the Fiero engine upgrade, I decided to go with the LS4 and found a rust free/wreck free chassis and ended up parting out all my SBC stuff and selling the rolling chassis. I used the proceeds of parting out my SBC/Getrag car to buy my LS4, F40, and my Mill and Lathe.

I built my 4.3/4T60 Fiero while I still had the SBC/Getrag Fiero as a more docile commuter car. It was fun to drive and had good fuel economy, but I was never really a fan of the 4T60 (or autos in general). Many times I thought about redoing the swap with a manual (car was a manual to start), but never decided to put for the effort. After about 3-4 years and 40K+ miles, I was in the middle of the LS4/F40 swap and needed some $$$ for it, so I sold the 4.3/4T60 Fiero on ebay.

My LS4/F40 swap has been complete 4 years and 43K miles and I absolutely love driving it. I just upgrade the F40 final drive to a 3.09 (from the 3.55) and have been collecting parts to paint it as well as install a turbo....

It is really easy to have a lot of $$$ wrapped up in modified Fieros, especially if you pay others to do the work. So it becomes very important that you enjoy the car a lot! You need to enjoy the looks, ride, handling, performance, fuel economy, comments from others, etc... If you don't enjoy it, all you will eventually see is the $$$ sitting that that could be used for other things that are more important or more enjoyable. When that happens, the swapped fiero's days are numbered.

Once your swapped engine is started for the first time, most don't realize that you are only 50-70% complete with the process. Now you have to drive the car, verify function and reliability of every system, and rework any issues that come up. You might spend the first year of driving it fixing things. As those issues happen, do you simply fix the condition, or do you take the time, effort, and expense to eliminate the failure for the future - this is what it takes to make a swap daily driver reliable - especially if you are running 3 or more times the factory hp.

It certainly is a buyers market for swapped cars, but you should go into it eyes wide open. Unless the swap has more than 10 thousand of miles on it, assume there is a reason it hasn't been driven and make finding out why your goal before purchasing it. 200+ hp Fieros are a blast to drive, so who would drive it a lot (unless it is a show only car that they don't drive it so it stays super clean).
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Like gettin' a boob job for yer (first) wife?
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
have you noticed the recent ones, they wreck it and then sell it?
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

There are countless reasons...

I

It is really easy to have a lot of $$$ wrapped up in modified Fieros, especially if you pay others to do the work. So it becomes very important that you enjoy the car a lot! You need to enjoy the looks, ride, handling, performance, fuel economy, comments from others, etc... If you don't enjoy it, all you will eventually see is the $$$ sitting that that could be used for other things that are more important or more enjoyable. When that happens, the swapped fiero's days are numbered.

Once your swapped engine is started for the first time, most don't realize that you are only 50-70% complete with the process. Now you have to drive the car, verify function and reliability of every system, and rework any issues that come up. You might spend the first year of driving it fixing things. As those issues happen, do you simply fix the condition, or do you take the time, effort, and expense to eliminate the failure for the future - this is what it takes to make a swap daily driver reliable - especially if you are running 3 or more times the factory hp.

It certainly is a buyers market for swapped cars, but you should go into it eyes wide open. Unless the swap has more than 10 thousand of miles on it, assume there is a reason it hasn't been driven and make finding out why your goal before purchasing it. 200+ hp Fieros are a blast to drive, so who would drive it a lot (unless it is a show only car that they don't drive it so it stays super clean).

I agree with this 100% but the catch is if you have a lot of $$$ tied up in a swap and you are not completely happy you will only get pennies on the dollar compared to what you spent if you sell it. I know that is the reality of the situation so I would rather keep it than give it away. There is no way other than time travel to get that all that money back. Except maybe a flood if you have agree value insurance.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A lot of people put in a fast engine and realize they need big brakes and all new suspension and then they still have that 80s interior. You can drop tons of cash and still have a clunky 80s car. Some folks are disappointed and realize they should have just bought the Corvette.

I agree, if you want a new car, you should simply buy a new car.

I'm souping up my Fiero's engine because I want an unrefined 80s econobox with good power.
A new car might have the power, but it wouldn't be clunky enough for my tastes.

I will have burned up 12k in my powertrain, so I hope I like it when it's ready to run!

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-08-2017).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I agree with this 100% but the catch is if you have a lot of $$$ tied up in a swap and you are not completely happy you will only get pennies on the dollar compared to what you spent if you sell it. I know that is the reality of the situation so I would rather keep it than give it away. There is no way other than time travel to get that all that money back. Except maybe a flood if you have agree value insurance.

This is why you see some people part their car out rather than sell as a whole.

The $$$ tied up in the car also varies greatly if you did the work yourself or if you paid others to do it for you.

I had about $8000 in my LS4/F40 initial build, but if I paid someone for a turnkey LS(x)/F40 swap it would have been $15K - $25K. With the wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, 3.09 final drive upgrade, collecting turbo parts and body panels for paint, I am in the $15K range right now and hope paint it myself and end up in the $17K range. I doubt anyone would every pay me that for it if I wanted to sell it, but to me it is an entertainment expense and I have already had 4 years and 40K miles of enjoyment.

If I paid others to do all this work I would easily be in the $30K to $75K and that would be a completely different perspective.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

This is why you see some people part their car out rather than sell as a whole.

The $$$ tied up in the car also varies greatly if you did the work yourself or if you paid others to do it for you.

If I paid others to do all this work I would easily be in the $30K to $75K and that would be a completely different perspective.

Exactly. I don't have engine swapping skills so my car will never be sold by me. My son can sell it after I'm turned back to dust.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You guys are great here, just spit it out there with some humor too. I like that. Boob job, LOL
It gives me alot to think about now with my cars.

I would love to have a swapped Fiero.
Too bad there's not someone close for me to look at a swap... or get to ride in one.

[This message has been edited by robert1234 (edited 09-08-2017).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2017 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would say that all hobbies undergo an evolution. If you go back to when this forum started in 1999, I would venture to say that only 10% of the forum members we had back then are still in the Fiero hobby today. The changing demographic of the Fiero owner has a big influence. Things like age, health, marriage , raising family, work, relocation, financial considerations and end of life all come into play. Some folks just do engine swaps for the build enjoyment and then get tired of the hobby and sell the car off. Others may want a newer car with better performance or have just traded up. The bottom line is that nothing lasts forever.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-08-2017).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm willing to bet this is a big part of it. That said, there are also guys who just enjoy the build. After the build is over, they sell the car and start another build.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wait.....wait......I....ummmmmm...Idea coming........A Fiero with Boobs! What a great idea........

The cracks about the Fiero chassis are somewhat deserved....But, if you take the time to understand how suspension works, you can make it work very well......You want the Chassis to be able to handle the power....Improve the brakes and suspension FIRST, then once it all works well, swap in an engine to suit your......needs.....

A good comparison is>>>>A Un-improved Fiero chassis w/ 300+ HP is like the old De Tomaso Mangusta....Great power, good looking....But a real poor driving experience and dangerous.......A properly set up Fiero Chassis w/ 300+ HP is more like a Ford GT40....But chassis work can be confusing- it takes time and lack of ego to fully understand how everything works together....And, you generally have to mix, match, swap parts and test drive to get to where it all comes together....
Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder how many EV Fieros come for sell. You do see that every once in awhile. But I also believe the ev conversions no matter the car make/model is still a small community.

That is what I'm doing. Converting to electric, but that comes with a lot of time and money as well to do the conversion right, especially if you are looking for at least a 100 mile range or more.

Although some EV hackers have been successful hacking a Tesla motor/trans to work on a swap.

Make me wonder if a Tesla motor cradle would fit a Fiero without much modification.

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a few of us who have done engine swaps that still own and drive the vehicles. I have two 87s that have turbo 3.4 and 3800 SC Series II swaps as well as two 88s that have 3800 SC Series III and a fuel injected 383 swaps. All were initially 2.8 L V6 engines and I appreciate the increased performance. All are normally regularly driven (except for the 383 which is a complete project car waiting on bodywork and paint). Two of them have won awards at car shows and the one currently in the paint shop is also very nice. At the end of the restoration process I will have four nice vehicles to enjoy and pass on to my two children. BTW, all of my vehicles are Meras.

Nelson
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

. The bottom line is that nothing lasts forever.

Sad but true. The Sun, Earth and Moon will eventually turn back to dust as well.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2017 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:

I wonder how many EV Fieros come for sell. You do see that every once in awhile. But I also believe the ev conversions no matter the car make/model is still a small community.

That is what I'm doing. Converting to electric, but that comes with a lot of time and money as well to do the conversion right, especially if you are looking for at least a 100 mile range or more.

Although some EV hackers have been successful hacking a Tesla motor/trans to work on a swap.

Make me wonder if a Tesla motor cradle would fit a Fiero without much modification.

As more used stuff his the market, you'll see more and more EV swaps. If anything was you happen to my leaf and it got totaled, i'd for sure consider swapping It's drivetrain into a Fiero.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Why do people sell their Fiero after an engine swap ?"
Simple... A lot of swaps for all cars/trucks are hack jobs, never really done and most have some to a lot of problems.
Worse many have hack "mods"/"upgrades" to suspension and/or brakes that also have problems too, often many are dangerous and/or illegal.

IOW Their selling to dump their problems hoping the buyer is dumb and won't look before signing "As Is" bill of sale.
Plus If have current inspection/emission stickers now, often should expect won't pass next time. If state has private inspection like NY and others, may got a corrupt shop to get the current sticker even then.

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I would say that all hobbies undergo an evolution. If you go back to when this forum started in 1999, I would venture to say that only 10% of the forum members we had back then are still in the Fiero hobby today. The changing demographic of the Fiero owner has a big influence. Things like age, health, marriage , raising family, work, relocation, financial considerations and end of life all come into play. Some folks just do engine swaps for the build enjoyment and then get tired of the hobby and sell the car off. Others may want a newer car with better performance or have just traded up. The bottom line is that nothing lasts forever.
Most Fiero owners 20 years ago where people trying to fix 10-15 old car w/ little to no help from Haynes et al that have more "errors" then GM Factory SM that few had and often GM books have small to big problems too. Many GM problems are copy/past info from one car line to another w/o checking it's still accurate. Many where going to PFF and others Because even back then Many Shops refuse to work on a Fiero or double or more the price because Fiero is some BS exotic car.

Examples:
Haynes Fiero book have the ballancer driving by crank that very few cared but never bothered w/ DIS, 700 TBI, etc, yet claims book covers complete car?
GM Fiero SM for 84-86 the entire rear brakes setup is wrong and pictures show another car setup. 87 SM finally fix this.

First pages of my cave started w/ DIS and went on from there for this reason.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-11-2017).]

Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2017 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spent many years swapping in my V8 and fixing up my 86 GT (Black Widow). In its last year I started parting her out as I was tired of always fixing this and that. I finally decided to move on and got me an 88 Formula Automoda. This will be my last fiero and have been spending this summer getting her all the final mod parts ready for installation. I will be updating my thread as soon as work begins. This is and will be a final "Build" thread. After that it will be an "Enjoying the convertible" thread.

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 09-11-2017).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2017 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Most engine swaps are full of problems, no matter how good you are. You get rid of it from aggravation . ...

Originally posted by theogre:

"Why do people sell their Fiero after an engine swap ?"
Simple... A lot of swaps for all cars/trucks are hack jobs, never really done and most have some to a lot of problems.
Worse many have hack "mods"/"upgrades" to suspension and/or brakes that also have problems too, often many are dangerous and/or illegal.

IOW Their selling to dump their problems hoping the buyer is dumb and won't look before signing "As Is" bill of sale...

I know there are few out there that do good swaps and like to go to new projects and others that are experimenting all the time and seeking new grounds and innovation (like Fieroguru). But I have to agree with the quotes above as I do see a lot of swaps that just looking at pics I would not touch even if free. If you are selling a swap that you have not driven even 100 miles I would be super skeptical. Anyone can do a swap but few can do good reliable swaps. I have done two that I would drive anywhere in the country. My V8 has over 10yrs and over 30k miles. I get looks from Fiero and classic car owners when I mention I will drive it 3+hrs away to a car show. I guess they only do the local 5 mile away cruises. Drove mine from FL to Detroit back in 2008. I would drive it back to FL if there was a decent Daytona show again. If you can't drive them and enjoy it why go through all the hassle and cost? Just my opinion.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am guilty of doing this.

Life changed and the car was just sitting there - sat for at least a whole year not driven. Actually had 2 just sitting in the garage and one had to go, so kept the 88 (our original car that we bought in 1991) and let the swapped one go. Might as well let someone else enjoy it.

For the record, I drove the car for about 4 years daily all year after the engine swap (4.9l) with the last 2 years on the interior swap (4th gen Firebird).

Edit: technically I am still in the Fiero hobby, just not that active. We still take the 88 out for a drive once in a while, but it is really only a "Sunday" driver when the moon is full on the 3 week type of car. lol

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-15-2017).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2017 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

I know there are few out there that do good swaps and like to go to new projects and others that are experimenting all the time and seeking new grounds and innovation (like Fieroguru). But I have to agree with the quotes above as I do see a lot of swaps that just looking at pics I would not touch even if free. If you are selling a swap that you have not driven even 100 miles I would be super skeptical. Anyone can do a swap but few can do good reliable swaps. I have done two that I would drive anywhere in the country. My V8 has over 10yrs and over 30k miles. I get looks from Fiero and classic car owners when I mention I will drive it 3+hrs away to a car show. I guess they only do the local 5 mile away cruises. Drove mine from FL to Detroit back in 2008. I would drive it back to FL if there was a decent Daytona show again. If you can't drive them and enjoy it why go through all the hassle and cost? Just my opinion.

I am a firm believer in driving a car with an engine swap. I routinely drive a car 500 miles one way for a car show and do not use a trailer at the moment. If I ever get one it will be for the wife's benefit and comfort. One of my show cars has a 3800 SC Series III engine with goodies and has more that 20,000 miles since the conversion. The other one is a turbo 3.4 powered vehicle and I have more than 10,000 miles on that swap with the only failure being the turbo. I will drive the 3800 SC series II vehicle after it gets out of the paint shop and would like to take it to Daytona in March. I only have a few hundred miles on the 383 project car, but it is also being prepared for paint at this time. Depending on the mileage per gallon that I get out of this engine, I would like to put some significant miles on it also.

Nelson
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 08:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just wanted to add, that the 88 we decided to keep also has a swap done as well. Nothing major, just the 3.4l crate motor.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post09-17-2017 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because it can't pass inspection..
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

because it can't pass inspection..

Depends on what you mean by inspection. Most states in the US don't require safety inspection, (only 16 out of 50+DC).

Most don't require emission testing on 30 year old cars, (33 states require testing but it's usually based on which city/county you live in and 30 year old cars are often exempted)
starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2017 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had my 84 Fiero with a 3800SC from 2009 until 2013. In early 2013, my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, she hated the car, I bought a newer car so she would be more comfortable. With two cars in the garage, a pickup in the back yard and a Fiero under a tree, I sold the Fiero to a 6'4" Marine who drove away .smiling. I bought a very low mileage 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix and with two very good comfortable cars, my wife was happy. I still miss my Fiero. Four years of ownership isn't too bad.

I put the Grand Prix on craigslist and a man in Idaho may buy it. Now I'll miss my GP and the Fiero. I have my eye on a 2006 GTO....Never mind
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock