headslights wont pop by fierofrenzy
Started on: 08-20-2017 07:40 AM
Replies: 16 (315 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-22-2017 10:11 AM
fierofrenzy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK rocket scientist, heres the problem....(this time ) My headlights won't pop up. That's it ! When I flip the switch the lights go on ( as I can see by opening up the front hood) but the units stay down. My fuses are good. Can anyone help me to see the light ? Once again, I appreciate all the responses.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
push on the light switch.. like you are turning them on, but keep pushing see if that does it..
My indy I have to hold it (push) to raise the lights,
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No good.....I tried holding down on the switch but they still did not work. I guess the switch is bad then. Is this the problem ?
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofrenzy:

No good.....I tried holding down on the switch but they still did not work. I guess the switch is bad then. Is this the problem ?

Not necessarily...Do the headlight motors run but the lights don't come up? If so then most likely the motors need to be rebuilt to replace the plastic pegs inside that turn to powder over the years. Lots of threads and how-to's on here and on you-tube. Parts are readily available. There are two different types of motors depending on the year of your car so look for the right instructions.

Is this car new to you? If the problem affected both sides at the same time then probably something other than motors... Relays, headlight control module (87-88 only) etc.

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What series lights do you have 84-86 or 87-88. That will help. If 84-64 then your isolation relay could have killed itself

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2012 Kia Forte Koup
2017 Kia Forte S

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the car is an 88 formula. its not the plastic inserts in the motors because they have been replaced. the motor(s)are not running when I hit the switch. I bet its the relay. Heres why. When I replaced my water pump a few weeks back I was trying to get a certain wire harness out of the way. It went to a black box right behind the battery. I was tugging on the wire harness after removing the fastener bolt but it would not separate so I just worked around it. So,once I started the car to test the pump ( which worked fine) , that's when the headlights would no longer pop up. so.......once again....now what ?
liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since its an 88 car, it is most likely the control module has gone bad. You can find it on the front side wall inside of the drivers side fender. It's a black box about 3"x3" with wires coming out of it.
I had mind go out and both headlights stopped at the same time. I found one from someone on here for $50-60, but it took some searching. In the meantime I just left them up manually.

[This message has been edited by liv4God (edited 08-20-2017).]

fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK...i'll check it out then figure out my next move. I have a supplier buddie out in Texas who's good for parts, and an excellent repair shop if I'm totally stumped. One way or , she'll get fixed. Till then, I guess I just need to get home before dark..... : )
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK...i'll check it out then figure out my next move. I have a supplier buddie out in Texas who's good for parts, and an excellent repair shop if I'm totally stumped. One way or , she'll get fixed. Till then, I guess I just need to get home before dark..... : )

You should be able to turn the little knobs on the motors and crank the lights up manually.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by liv4God:
Since its an 88 car, it is most likely the control module has gone bad. You can find it on the front side wall inside of the drivers side fender. It's a black box about 3"x3" with wires coming out of it.
I had mind go out and both headlights stopped at the same time. I found one from someone on here for $50-60, but it took some searching. In the meantime I just left them up manually.
Maybe, not likely.
Try losing both 1 turn of knob then try. Works now motors are problem.
Very common problem for 1 motor both both can bind up. More so when DIY tried to "rebuild"/fix them.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor
But if motors are dying then just get new Cardone ones or can be fooling w/ them again and likely soon.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

You should be able to turn the little knobs on the motors and crank the lights up manually.

Or have someone walk in front of the car carrying a lantern.
PFF
System Bot
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2017 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hahaha....I never thought of that. I know about the manual crank up. I actually use it from time to time. but that's totally uncool. everything on my/our Fiero's should work. we need to uphold the image.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

we need to uphold the image.

No we don't!

Buck531

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Buck531Send a Private Message to Buck531Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to flip my headlight switch any where between 4-6 times before the headlights popped up. Got a cheap replacement switch from rock auto for around $11 last week and they go up every time now.

------------------
03 Buick Regal. 13.0x @103
87 Fiero GT. L67, XP, Ported heads, SD headers, 3.2. 12.6@108 1.8 60'.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The motors are plugged in, right?
fierofrenzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2017 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofrenzySend a Private Message to fierofrenzyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
uhhh.......yea......

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2017 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

uhhh.......yea......

Its always worth checking the obvious first.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock