Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any Alternative Fiero Thermostat Caps that you can get off without Channel Locks?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any Alternative Fiero Thermostat Caps that you can get off without Channel Locks? by JohnWPB
Started on: 06-28-2017 09:44 PM
Replies: 14 (471 views)
Last post by: Kevin87FieroGT on 07-03-2017 08:39 AM
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are there any alternatives from other cars that can be used on the Fiero. I sanded the top of the thermostat housing with fine sandpaper, and added a few drops of machine oil, and a brand new OEM cap. It is still very hard to get off. I have to use channel locks most of the time. This is the my 3rd Thermostat housing / engine in my car, and they are all have been the same.

I am looking for something that is not round and smooth, that you can actually take off, no tools required

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though I have a pair of channel locks that may do the trick, I like to use the oil filter wrench that fits the Fiero oil filter. It has a good handle for leverage, the band squeezes on the cap without doing damage. I've never seen one on a Fiero that had the two ears like some caps have.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2017 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use heavy leather gloves and both hands to unscrew it.

Otherwise, maybe you could weld some tacks on the exterior, to make the exterior bumpy.

Or, weld a socket to it (square drive facing up), so it can be turned with a rachet wrench.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Use GM ACdelco or Stant Tstat caps.
Most if not all "Store brand" caps are made by MotoRad and look the same as Stant to many buyers have enough differences they are very tight or not to fit at all.

Ever w/ good caps...
Use Brake grease on the housing "track" and cap ears where they tighten the caps.
See my Cave, Thermostat

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Are there any alternatives from other cars that can be used on the Fiero. I sanded the top of the thermostat housing with fine sandpaper, and added a few drops of machine oil, and a brand new OEM cap. It is still very hard to get off.

From the vaults...

Originally posted by Patrick Here:

That reminds me of a discussion we've had here previously... I forget if it's a brand thing or a generational thing, but some of the thermostat caps have a seal that does not pivot separately from the cap. Those caps are awful as it's very difficult to open or close these caps when the rubber seal is forced to rotate/rub on the top of the thermostat housing. On the good caps, the rubber seal spins freely... which means the seal can stay put on the housing as the cap is turned and tightened (or loosened).

andreww

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for andrewwSend a Private Message to andrewwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heavy rubber kitchen gloves. Works like a charm.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2017 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Next time you buy a thermostat cap, check to see if the "rubber donut" seal can rotate freely. If not, that cap will be difficult to remove. Another trick is to spread a light coating of grease on that rubber seal, and on the top of the thermostat housing. Oil may not be thick enough to help. Try something thicker, like wheel bearing grease.

And if that fails, then throw an oil filter wrench in the trunk.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
Next time you buy a thermostat cap, check to see if the "rubber donut" seal can rotate freely. If not, that cap will be difficult to remove. Another trick is to spread a light coating of grease on that rubber seal, and on the top of the thermostat housing. Oil may not be thick enough to help. Try something thicker, like wheel bearing grease.

And if that fails, then throw an oil filter wrench in the trunk.
Most grease/oil will ruin coolant rubber parts. Is why I said use Brake Grease.

Stant cap's rubber will not cause the problem here. Stant made a lot of OE caps and many have OEM labeling but still have S logo somewhere you can see.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2017 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just push down as you turn it. You could weld a few tabs on the top sticking up if its a problem. Ive had regular radiator caps like that in the past. Or buy one that has 'ears' on the sides.

https://www.steinertractor....H6vVB5MaApoaEALw_wcB
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison: Just push down as you turn it.

I didn't even think about this, because it's become second nature. But yes, pushing down on the cap will make it easier to turn.
fiero4.3L

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero4.3LClick Here to visit fiero4.3L's HomePageSend a Private Message to fiero4.3LEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The cap is only slightly larger than a standard quart mason jar lid, maybe an 1/8". There are rubber rags if you just need a better grip or handled grips if you also need leverage without the possibility of damaging the cap.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2017 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero4.3L:
The cap is only slightly larger than a standard quart mason jar lid, maybe an 1/8". There are rubber rags if you just need a better grip or handled grips if you also need leverage without the possibility of damaging the cap.
That or almost any kind of strap wench works.
Can Get in kitchen section, as normal tools, plumbing section, etc.

Push down might not work for Fiero Tstat. Does work to remove many Rad caps.

Fiero Tstat caps on l4 and V6 are awkward for many people. Where they are makes it hard to turn and/or push down.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Fiero Tstat caps on l4 and V6 are awkward for many people. Where they are makes it hard to turn and/or push down.

On the V6, I remove the RH decklid vent to get good access. Reaching while standing on the right side of the car is then easy. I have only had notchbacks though.

With a fastback V6, it seems like the quarter window would be in the way, but I don't know.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 07:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Silicone paste is the correct grease to use on rubber, it doesn't eat it and is very water proof. (IE: die electric grease, plumbers paste etc)
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2017 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was going to say the same. Use plumbers lube (silicone grease, clear, comes in a small plastic tub at hardware store, $3). It works great on all rubber seals at all temps and generally last a long long time. Does a nice job with o-rings as well.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock