Coolant leak at thermostat cap. by JJFieroFan
Started on: 07-12-2015 04:59 PM
Replies: 22 (869 views)
Last post by: JJFieroFan on 07-28-2015 07:06 PM
JJFieroFan

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I need some help. I have been chasing a leak at the thermostat cap for 4 months. (I changed out the thermostat over the winter and have had issue ever since. I also had the heater core changed out .) I am on my third or fourth thermostat, my second cap, I burped and burped it I filled it and filled it and burped more. I have tried to remove corrosion on the neck both at The cap and where the thermostat sits. We have a new/old thermostat housing or neck so I guess that is next. 134,000 miles 1987 Fiero GT, V6 Auto. I am a girl so keep it in English please!

Thanks!!!

JJ

------------------
JJFieroFan
85 2m6 (85-91)
85 2m6 CLONE (00-14) sold to a friend
87 Fiero GT (13-now)
07 Nissan Murano SL AWD ((07-now)
Back in Black

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The top of the thermostat housing can get bent from improper removal of the cap (ie using a big honkin' pipe wrench to remove it), so you need to make sure it's flat. I've used sandpaper on a flat surface (when the housing was off the engine) to see where the high points were, but something similar can probably be done while the housing is still on the engine. You want the top edge of the housing to eventually be corrosion free and flat, otherwise even a new cap won't be able to seal. And when the cap is put on, push down while turning to make sure it's turned all the way (past the first click and to the end).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-12-2015).]

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I will look at that again. I have a fiero mechanic in town I hope he can do a house call and take a look at it.
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

JJFieroFan

275 posts
Member since Mar 2013
This time the thermostat moved up. I worked on the cap seat. I will work on the neck where the thermostat seats tomorrow.

I have worked on both of these before but I will keep at it.

JJ
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JJFieroFan:

This time the thermostat moved up

What does that mean?

When you install a thermostat, is it not "snapping" into place? If not, you need to get rid of any corrosion that has built up where the thermostat rubber seal is supposed to sit. And I hope you also apply a good coating of grease on the rubber seal before you install the thermostat. Makes it much easier to snap into place.
JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue with 2 Fiero store caps over a period of time. I since switched to a Delco cap and felt a difference getting the thing on, much tighter fit. Since then I've never had another issue with cap leakage.
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the thermostat in, locked it into place. I thiought so anyway. It was up by the cap and coolant was leaking freely. I will try again. On my third cap, but I can get another. I did use Vaseline when I installed it.

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 07-12-2015).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Patrick said, use sandpaper on a flat block and sand the top of the thermostat housing, you will see a silver ring start to appear on top through the corrosion, keep sanding until you get a full ring around the top, a nice smooth sealing surface.
That will usually fix it.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

I had the same issue with 2 Fiero store caps over a period of time. I since switched to a Delco cap and felt a difference getting the thing on, much tighter fit. Since then I've never had another issue with cap leakage.

That reminds me of a discussion we've had here previously... I forget if it's a brand thing or a generational thing, but some of the thermostat caps have a seal that does not spin independently of the cap. Those caps are awful as it's very difficult to open or close these caps when the rubber seal is forced to rotate/rub on the top of the thermostat housing. On the good caps, where the rubber seal spins independently of the cap... the seal can stay put on the housing as the cap is turned and tightened (or loosened).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-12-2019).]

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cap appears to be ok. There is corrosion on the top which I got taken care of. Think and corrosion at the thermostat seat that I am still working on. Any suggestions as to what to use to get down there and clean it up??

Thanks!!
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2015 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

... corrosion at the thermostat seat that I am still working on. Any suggestions as to what to use to get down there and clean it up??

Cleaned one up for a kid last month. Wire brush in a drill.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

PFF
System Bot
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I put the thermostat in, locked it into place. I thiought so anyway. It was up by the cap and coolant was leaking freely. I will try again. On my third cap, but I can get another. I did use Vaseline when I installed it.

The thermostat cannot be "up by the cap" unless the handle is missing or bent. Which thermostat are you running?

EDIT: should look like this:

[This message has been edited by Hudini (edited 07-16-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hudini:

EDIT: should look like this:

Yup - good ones are AC Delco, Stant and Gates of same design. Stock temp is 195*
http://www.rockauto.com/cat...249152,parttype,2200

Crap ones are Motorads and similar. The "hoop" is weak.
Easiest way is to see the difference is in the centering "ears" between the brands.

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 07-16-2015).]

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stant 195. It is Not bent. There is so much corrosion on the inside of the neck that the cap does not seat. It floats back up when you rev the car. I am going to work on it this weekend. I had a lot going on this week and have not gotten to it. It had a bent one at one point and I do know what that looks like. If you feel where the thermostat should sit it is very rough. I have not been able to get it smooth. I had some corrosion at the top also. Believe me it does sort of float up . The top of the handle pushes against the cap. At best it drips at worst it leaks like a sieve. Thanks for the imput.

JJ

[This message has been edited by JJFieroFan (edited 07-16-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2015 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A common mistake is to tighten the thermostat fill cap while the thermostat is not fully seated. You put the cap on, twist it to close and the cap bends ever so slightly causing a leak. I apply a small film of silicone grease on the water outlet sealing surface. to make the cap easier to tighten and seal, but always make sure that the stat is full seated before putting the cap on.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Heddman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Put a little petroleum jelly on the thermostat rubber seal( very light coat ). The thermostat will then seat easily.

****** Sorry Dennis. Basically repeated what you said! ******

[This message has been edited by flimbob (edited 07-19-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2015 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To determine if it's the thermostat causing the problem or the cap, leave the thermostat out and check for leaks. With the thermostat out, the cap has nothing pushing it away from it's seal, so if it still leaks, it's the cap.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2015 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very likely you are worrying to much. Is a lot of BS to "burp the system," worse when you have a Fiero.

1. "Burping" will not remove all air from system.
Fill system using short directions in my Cave, Coolant Fill
Air left will move to radiator then rad cap and overflow tank removes that after you run engine a few heat cycles.
every time you start cold to warm air is pushed out.
after shutdown coolant from tank will be suck back.
This can take days to work air out of the system.

2. Before 1 can work OR rad cap or overflow problems then the tstat cap will always have air as soon as you loosen the tstat cap. That make people think is Tstat bad but is not true.
Just the wrong Rad cap can fake Tstat cap problems.
See my Cave, Radiator Caps

3. Tstat housings can rust causing seal problems. This mostly causes coolant leaks out of system. If not bad can try just a wire brush then thin coat of silicon grease to stop rust. Seal area w/ pits then clean and solder coat (called Tinning) to stop future rust. Solder can fill/sooth the pits so cap can work. Cap Rubber won't care if housing is not completely OE spec.
If the housing "ears" to tighten the cap are bad... get another housing.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 07-20-2015).]

JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2015 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info. I have read Ogres cave section a few times!!! 😄 I have recently met an experienced Fiero mechanic who is about 20 minutes away. I am going to get him to look at it. Hopefully I can drive it there. I have spare housing and cap... let him sort it out. Thermostat is out. Hoping no leak or less leaking. I won't run it without a thermostat except to get it to the shop. Thanks everyone I will reply when we figure it out!!!
Thanks all!!!
JJ
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thermostat out. So far no leaks. I have run it twice and revved it a bit yesterday with no leaks. Looks like I will replace the thermostat housing with a good used one. JJ
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have run it twice and revved it a bit yesterday with no leaks.

Did the engine run long enough to get the coolant system hot enough to build up pressure?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-25-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2015 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, I will test it again to be sure, but I let it run for awhile and revved if or higher rpms. Still plan to change out housing, cap, hoses, and thermostat anyway. Just want to get it to a good mechanic and let them fix it. Thanks!!!
JJFieroFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JJFieroFanSend a Private Message to JJFieroFanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick you were right about the cap. I fit a new one today as I was still leaking when I revved it hard. I had cleaned and sanded the rim and got a great fit. I plan on taking it in and getting it checked out and new hoses put on ...etc. Thanks!!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock