T-top cap repair option by boysatt
Started on: 04-03-2017 01:33 PM
Replies: 13 (548 views)
Last post by: boysatt on 04-10-2017 02:19 PM
boysatt

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed a C&C kit in my fiero over the winter and purchased a set of reproduction end caps. I found they are still very brittle and already broke both driver side ones just trying to lock the top in place, tried lots of adjusting but they still are just a terrible design. I seen this post from 2003 from a fellow member that made brass inserts that look to be way better and stronger. I showed the pictures to my buddy with a machine shop and said no problem on making them, other than brass isn't cheap these days. So later this week we're going to try to mill them out of aluminum stock and see how to best make them work.

Just curious if other members would be interested if I make these?

They would be designed almost exactly like jelly2m8 did and mount the same.

t-top cap repair

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heck yeah! Put me down for a set!
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'll take a set for my install.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be in for a set!

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 04-04-2017).]

TM_Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Count me in.
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well it looks like I got quite a list going for these. Going to get my car over the the shop before the end of the week to get the first prototype set done. Once I'm sure on exact dimensions and happy with the fit and finish I will get pricing figured out for making more sets. The cost of aluminum rod stock isn't too bad, its just that each one of these will be hand made so I'm curious how long it will take to cut each set of 4.

88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2017 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just saw this---yea I would be interested--already broke an end cap

------------------
Pat Jones

boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So we made a few different sizes of these aluminum bushings till I was happy with the fit. They are cut from 6061 aluminum stock. Pictures show the size we decided on, the center hole is drilled just a tad bit larger than the t-top pin for a nice snog fit so there is no movement. The whole part is 1 1/4 " in diameter so lots of space to drill rivet holes for mounting. I'm going to pick up 4 of them tomorrow and hopefully install this weekend so I can decide if I need to do any changes. Then I'll figure out pricing to sell sets. They will need to be trimmed a bit to mount and holes drilled for rivets but should be pretty self explanatory.

MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice.
predmeister

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2017 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for predmeisterSend a Private Message to predmeisterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Add me to the list!!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm prob in for a set also. But I have a few questions. Does this part fit behind the end caps on the frame side of the car? Does the plastic cap fit over this bushing to provide a more secure location for the TTOP pins to slide into? I'm trying to understand the need, I get that the plastic is old, dry and crack's, but the plastic is just a cover over a hole already isn't it. I have not taken off the end caps on mine, so I don't know what is behind them.

Thanks

Rob
PFF
System Bot
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2017 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the guys with t-tops know what I am trying to accomplish, some may not need this fix because you were lucky enough to have perfectly aligned t-tops and your caps are solid and hold well. I on the other hand installed my kit myself and while I took extra steps to do it better than C&C you can only do so good with used parts and reproduction trim caps. I found out the hard way that if your not paying attention to delicately lock your tops in place that its quite easy to bust the crap out of the trim caps. I'm used to having f-bodys that have very durable t-top setups that you can throw them on without paying much attention.

My fix is as shown in the pictures below, I customized aluminum bushings to do the same thing as the plastic, but will last forever and never break to rattle. Install of these takes about 1 hour per side. Carefully drill out the center of your caps for it to pass through and then sand off the excess. You can see that my rear cap never quite lined up correctly after the t-top conversion, so this modification helped a ton.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
im in for x2 set cost?
boysatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2017 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for boysattSend a Private Message to boysattEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

im in for x2 set cost?

for sale mall thread

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock