Started on: 03-30-2017 09:11 PM
Replies: 51 (2214 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 04-26-2017 02:29 PM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I started to fit my roof spoiler today.
I decided to just mould it on because I can`t find a way to use bolts or screws that I like.
Thanks to Sage for the great fiberglass work.
Fortunately, I will just have to get a little shorter gas shock to keep the deck lid from hitting.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 03-30-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the roof spoiler have always wanted one but could never find one. Make it work then add two to my cars. Lol
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2017 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom Slick:

I love the roof spoiler have always wanted one but could never find one. Make it work then add two to my cars. Lol

I found an old thread on here where someone was asking about one that resembled the one on a 308 and Sage had posted a pic of one he did.
So I contacted him and ordered one.
It is just a tad short as it`s for the 308 but it won`t take too much work to make it fit.
Sage

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2017 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Glad it got there "intact"!

HAGO!
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like it
crt454

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crt454Send a Private Message to crt454Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That looks awesome. Can't wait to see pics when the install is completed.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2017 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I`m still trying to figure out how to attach it.
I was going to mould it in but I don`t want to try to blend the paint and the clear coat and I don`t want to paint the whole fastback clip.
Plus it will be easier to paint the underside with it off of the car.
mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

I was going to mould it in but I don`t want to try to blend the paint and the clear coat and I don`t want to paint the whole fastback clip.

Paint it black so you don't have to blend. Then you don't have to mold it in.
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thought about trying to make one from a sunroof deflector.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mr_corean:

Paint it black so you don't have to blend. Then you don't have to mold it in.

Well, I was going to mould it on to keep it in place but I want it the same color as the car.
I think I have an idea that will keep it secure.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I have an idea that will keep it secure.

Bubblegum?!?? Tell me it's bubblegum! Yea! Bubblegum!
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Bubblegum?!?? Tell me it's bubblegum! Yea! Bubblegum!

No not bubblegum, and not double sided tape either.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would consider magnetic fasteners that allow it to be removed easily. Some super strong, yet surprisingly small magnets could keep it in place even at high speeds. Just a thought. I know guys with small cars and one piece fishing poles that won't fit, they use super strong magnets to hold the rods to the roof for the fishing trip.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No not bubblegum...

BOO!!! No more treats for you, young man!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

I would consider magnetic fasteners that allow it to be removed easily. Some super strong, yet surprisingly small magnets could keep it in place even at high speeds. Just a thought. I know guys with small cars and one piece fishing poles that won't fit, they use super strong magnets to hold the rods to the roof for the fishing trip.

Fierocious GT came up with the ingenious idea of using the super strong magnets from a computer to hold his quarter windows on his choptop in place and it worked ! Those suckers are ridiculously strong !

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 04-02-2017).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Fierocious GT came up with the ingenious idea of using the super strong magnets from a computer to hold his quarter windows on his choptop in place and it worked ! Those suckers are ridiculously strong !

If they are the ones that are in hard drives, you are correct....they are amazingly strong and hold almost like screws.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would be reluctant to use magnets
I can see on quarter windows where most of the air pressure is still
pushing against the window but on a spoiler that's trying to get lift
I'm not so sure I would trust that.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2017 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It there a point other than looks..
on the fence on the look..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-03-2017 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

I'd think something like this.. 2 per side.. push it back and down towards rear of car.. to put on, and forward and up the angle of the pillar to come off. so if you need the deck lid to open straight up to work on the car..
this would not move as the wind would keep it in the narrow slots.. and could tighten the screw head from the underside of the pillar with 2 small holes.. that no one would see..
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

It there a point other than looks..
on the fence on the look..

Looks is the only point.
I`m not using it for more downforce of anything.
I have been a fan of these ever since the 80s Celicas had them.
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd think something like this.. 2 per side.. push it back and down towards rear of car.. to put on, and forward and up the angle of the pillar to come off. so if you need the deck lid to open straight up to work on the car..
this would not move as the wind would keep it in the narrow slots.. and could tighten the screw head from the underside of the pillar with 2 small holes.. that no one would see..

This is actually a pretty good idea.
Thanks
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2017 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Except when the wind blows backwards! Might work while driving, but a windy day could have it fly off in the parking lot.

[This message has been edited by viperine (edited 04-03-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2017 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

Except when the wind blows backwards! Might work while driving, but a windy day could have it fly off in the parking lot.

Not so,, As you can put tiny holes on the back side of it, where it "seats" that are on the underside of the inner side of the fastback c pillar. that no one would see..
To tighten the hardware.. you'd have to go looking for the holes.. and be on the decklid, looking up at the underside of the inner side of the fastback c pillar upper area .. Put threadcerts/nutcerts in the spoiler for the hardware and a bolt with a little rtv on the threads (and I mean a little )a rubber washer to keep them from backing off/

Can do the same with just 4 holes as long as the bolt/screw head/washer is larger than the hole.. I like the slot, as it stops you from having to unscrew all 4 bolts/screws all the way out.. and no chance of dropping them.. unloosen, 4 and slide toward the front of car. and lift up.. and it's off..
inlike the 4 holes that require the same type thing as the deck spoiler.. both will work.. Pick yer poison
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 07:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would be reluctant to use magnets
I can see on quarter windows where most of the air pressure is still
pushing against the window but on a spoiler that's trying to get lift
I'm not so sure I would trust that.

Oh yes, big difference. 👍
Supracoupe

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SupracoupeSend a Private Message to SupracoupeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Looks is the only point.
I`m not using it for more downforce of anything.
I have been a fan of these ever since the 80s Celicas had them.

The Toyota Celica and Supra of the Mid 80's had the upper "deflector". This was my 1985 Supra, which had the upper deflector and a smaller lower rear spoiler from the factory. The 5 speed P type was the only one to come with the combo. In this case, I had added the whale tale an ended up removing the deflector later, it was just too much. The upper deflector on the Celica/Supra was also just for looks and it was in fact determined that all it did was add drag and I know of a couple of instances where they tore free or broke/split at high speeds.

PARAD0X

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PARAD0XSend a Private Message to PARAD0XEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Supracoupe:

VERY nice, I hope you kept this.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Supracoupe:

The Toyota Celica and Supra of the Mid 80's had the upper "deflector". This was my 1985 Supra, which had the upper deflector and a smaller lower rear spoiler from the factory. The 5 speed P type was the only one to come with the combo. In this case, I had added the whale tale an ended up removing the deflector later, it was just too much. The upper deflector on the Celica/Supra was also just for looks and it was in fact determined that all it did was add drag and I know of a couple of instances where they tore free or broke/split at high speeds.

Yea, they do look kind of thin in that picture.
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my head, I've always visualized the Ferrari 308/328 that utilized this style spoiler :

This was Dietmar's roof spoiler on Bozzie's car (I believe one of the first with an integrated brake light as well).
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...1-069185-4.html#p135

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 04-04-2017).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-04-2017 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

In my head, I've always visualized the Ferrari 308/328 that utilized this style spoiler :

That was added, to keep the turbulence right behind the rear window from getting to the driver/passenger.. not for an aero Speed/drag/lift reason.
More to keep your blonde bombshells hair from looking like total bed head. only partly messy
mr_corean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That was added, to keep the turbulence right behind the rear window from getting to the driver/passenger.. not for an aero Speed/drag/lift reason.
More to keep your blonde bombshells hair from looking like total bed head. only partly messy

If this is actually true that's funny as hell.
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2017 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems that even the "real" Ferrari guys can't quite agree on the official "reason" for the spoiler!

http://www.ferrarichat.com/...ar-spoiler-wing.html
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2017 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, since it might tend to push more air past the louvers causing a vacuum affect, thus pulling heat out from the engine bay then it`s not only for looks.
That`s my story and I`m sticking to it.

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 04-05-2017).]

TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I got my roof spoiler painted and installed today.
I made some vinyl gaskets out of that flexible baseboard they use in office buildings.
I didn`t want the spoiler to sit directly on the fastback clip.

notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks good. Does it effect the opening of the deck lid?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT:

It seems that even the "real" Ferrari guys can't quite agree on the official "reason" for the spoiler!

It's not a spoiler, it's a sun visor. It helps keep the sun off the back of your head/neck.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

Man that looks good. Does it effect the opening of the deck lid?

It probably wouldn`t if I didn`t have the scoop on it but it does hit a little.
It`s on good though and my decklid has a gas shock instead of the springs.
I`m just going to get a piece of rubber and have it where I can put it between the decklid and the spoiler.
It works well as I tried it before I painted it.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

It's not a spoiler, it's a sun visor. It helps keep the sun off the back of your head/neck.

That`s true, it does block out sun from coming in.
TXGOOD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TXGOOD

5410 posts
Member since Feb 2006
I also finally got the nose painted.
I`m going to let it cure a couple of days before installing it.
viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2017 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did a great job. But as an owner of a third gen trans am, I get sad because it looks like a promising beginning to fiero rear window louvers. Sigh. I figure about 8 spoilers should pull it off!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock