Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Source for non CJB T-top seals / gaskets for my '88 GT?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Source for non CJB T-top seals / gaskets for my '88 GT? by railshot
Started on: 02-19-2017 01:36 PM
Replies: 9 (720 views)
Last post by: jscott1 on 02-26-2017 03:02 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2017 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I tired google, I tried search on the forum, found some posts about trying other seals, Mustang, Camaro / Firebird, but have found zero references as to if they are available n.o.s. at any price!

Because mine are actually pre CJB style seals, there should be a better chance of finding some right?

Mine are ok, but if I am going to do this right, I am going to do it "right" with new seals all around.
I know they will be expensive, but I just cannot find any, anywhere, at any price, and nothing beats new (ok, new old stock).

Anyone have a source or a set stored away somewhere you would like to sell?
Or has anyone been successful with other types from other vehicles?

Nobody has been successful at having them reproduced due to the very low quantity of them produced to begin with, and the extremely small market they would have to sell to, so help if you can.

------------------
There's one in every crowd, and usually it's me.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2017 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The difference between CJB seals and regular ones is mostly trivial. The CJB seal is one piece whereas the regular one is a weather seal and then another piece to hold in the headliner. The profile of the sealing surface is different, but given the age of these things probably doesn't make much difference, it's going to leak either way.

There is no source for these seals anywhere. Someone years ago was working on cutting up mustang seals to fit but from what I recall they ended up not wanting to share the recipe for free because they were going to sell them, but that never came to fruition.

So we are left with however many were made some 30 years ago. Your only hope is for someone to dig into their parts room and sell what they have.

Might try posting in the mall.

Edit - Here's a thread I found on Modifying the Camaro seals. Not sure if all the secret sauce is here to be able to reproduce, but it's a start

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/104028.html

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-21-2017).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Like Jscott states they are rare and expensive if you find a good pair.

While there were nearly 8,000 kits made most are either on cars or destroyed by now. While there is a good number of cars left few need gaskets in production terms and with that numbers many people would not pay the price as some paid less for their car.

Just watch e bay or salvage yards and keep an eye out for a set from some who do not know they are holding gold. Odd gaskets come up once in a while and never hesitate if you see them for sale.

Next the glass in good condition is getting more difficult to find. A new top comes around now and then and prices have gone up over time. Many old panels will have wear and scratches. Also drop a top and you are looking for parts.

I have seen people buy entire cars just for top parts.

I bought a set of nos tops just to be safe. If I never use them and sell them they will prove to be a good investment.

No other gaskets are a direct fit. Some have modified other gaskets with a mix of results. There is little chance of gaskets being made.

If you have good gasket Keep them treated and moist.

You will about every 5 years a call for a group buy and one person says they will look into getting a deal done. They all end once the economic of scale are realized and how expensive it would be.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I am in the process of working with http://www.fieroparts.com/ttop.html for my needs.
It seems that this is the last place on earth they can be found, and even this supply is getting mighty limited.

Yes, they are a bit expensive, but at this point does it matter?
Supply and demand, and if I had the supply, my prices would be right in the same range.

I will be ordering all I need mid March I hope.
Holding off due to some other pending purchases that are taking a priority.......
ok, in reality I don't want to make the wife mad either! LOL
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2017 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

I am in the process of working with http://www.fieroparts.com/ttop.html for my needs.
It seems that this is the last place on earth they can be found, and even this supply is getting mighty limited.

Yes, they are a bit expensive, but at this point does it matter?
Supply and demand, and if I had the supply, my prices would be right in the same range.

Good luck with Fieroparts.com. I know about supply and demand and all but his prices border on gouging in my opinion. I would use wadded up toilet paper for seals before I pay what he wants for his stuff.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-21-2017).]

hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck.

Not crazy about the prices either but that is just the laws of supply and demand. Selling product is not a Charity.

If the prices were cheaper the parts would have also been sold out and people just sitting on them and not using them when someone in need can't find them. I am guilty of this one myself. You buy a spare in case you drop a top and you may never need it either. But drop it it makes not having a gasket a small problem if it rains.

It is worth it though for the tops. I bought my car new with out and put them in. I though this is crazy cutting the top of a nearly new car but it was worth every penny. It takes the car to the next level. A little more cowl shake but still worth it.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2017 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Good luck.

Not crazy about the prices either but that is just the laws of supply and demand. Selling product is not a Charity.

If the prices were cheaper the parts would have also been sold out and people just sitting on them and not using them when someone in need can't find them. I am guilty of this one myself. You buy a spare in case you drop a top and you may never need it either. But drop it it makes not having a gasket a small problem if it rains.

It is worth it though for the tops. I bought my car new with out and put them in. I though this is crazy cutting the top of a nearly new car but it was worth every penny. It takes the car to the next level. A little more cowl shake but still worth it.

I agree it is worth it if they do not leak, (mine don't , but I can see the wear on the seals) and supply is what it is, so when you have a special vehicle, you really need to be prepared to pay what it is worth to you to make it great.
The cowl shake is the only thing that truly bothers me..... it is just looser feeling than a solid top vehicle, or even one with a sunroof.

My wife is so happy riding around with the T-tops off, there is no way I can back off now. LOL

I have tried and tried to get her into a convertible (Solstice / Sky to be exact) and she is not thrilled with it, but loves riding around with the T-tops out.... so here we are.
She is happy, I am going broke (not really) and we have some great rides ahead of us this spring and summer.

Again, thanks for the input on this, makes me feel better about keeping it and investing in the fun days ahead.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2017 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The cowl shake is the only thing that truly bothers me..... it is just looser feeling than a solid top vehicle, or even one with a sunroof.

Just to clarify there is no such think as a solid roof Fiero from a frame standpoint. All Fieros have the cutout for the sunroof. The so-called "solid roof" cars simply have a solid non-structural roof over the hole.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2017 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Just to clarify there is no such think as a solid roof Fiero from a frame standpoint. All Fieros have the cutout for the sunroof. The so-called "solid roof" cars simply have a solid non-structural roof over the hole.

You are correct sir.
Having done 2 headliners on 2 solid roof cars, I can vouch for that being a fact.

Here is a rendering of the space frame without body panels.
As you can see, nothing there.

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are correct sir.
Having done 2 headliners on 2 solid roof cars, I can vouch for that being a fact.

Here is a rendering of the space frame without body panels.
As you can see, nothing there.

Too bad they didn't take it a tiny step more and make all Fieros a targa frame if not a convertible. But the frame was already disappointingly heavy by 80s standards. At a time when compact cars were weighing in at 1,800 to 1,900 pounds the Fiero was a 2,600 pound behemoth. Modern compact cars with 10 airbags, ABS, and all that OBD2 wiring easily weigh more than 2,600 pounds. The Corvette brags about being only 3,300 pounds and that doesn't sound light at all to me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock