Oil on top of engine by rednotdead
Started on: 02-13-2017 01:17 PM
Replies: 7 (377 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 03-01-2017 02:49 PM
rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Went to the shop recently, after getting multiple little pools of oil under the car when driving, mostly drivers side. They say its a rear main seal (which would suck as Ive had it replaced less than a year ago as part of preventative maintenance done while the tranny was out). In any case - I looked at it more carefully and the oil seems to be pooling under the distributer, in the little valley. I'm completely inexperienced and generally dont do major work on cars, but it looks to me that there is something other than rear main seal causing this leak on top of the engine. A valve or something, Ive read somewhere... am I correct?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is most likely the O-ring which seals the base of the distributor into the engine. A very, very common place for leaks (on MANY engines 2.8, 3.1, 3100, etc...). Easy to replace and inexpensive too. You'll have to re-check your timing afterward.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2017 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure to use the brown viton seal, not the rubber black one when replacing the distributor seal. Also, use a distributor gasket from a small block as added insurance.
Check this thread out Here

[This message has been edited by f85gtron (edited 02-13-2017).]

rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2017 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys - I ended up ordering the one at Rodney Dickman's (its also mentioned in that linked thread). I'll look into the repair and see if I have the means/confidence to do it.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2017 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue a few yeas ago and oil was pooling up just like yours. I wiped the area down a few time and watch closely but no leaks I could see. So I bought some of this
and found the lower intake gasket was leaking below the distributor. Just saying...

[URL=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/interdynamics-oil-and-fuel-systems-uv-dye-1-oz.-374cs/7010040-p&c3ch=PLA&c3nid=7010040-

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 02-25-2017).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2017 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is a very easy fix....well within the scope of an average Joe. I would suggest buying 2 or 3 so you have spares. Since this is your first time doing it you may destroy one on your first attempt and it would suck not having an extra one standing by!
rednotdead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2017 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The link to the distributor replacement writeup was helpful, but Ive been having difficulty locating a timing light to borrow or rent. If done really extra carefully, do you think if I put the distributor back in just as it came out I could avoid having to adjust timing afterwards?

It had better not be the intake gasket. Still better than the "new" rear main seal... I think.

[B]I would suggest buying 2 or 3 so you have spares. Since this is your first time doing it you may destroy one on your first attempt and it would suck not having an extra one standing by!

Hm, I didn't think of that. Unfortunately, I only bought one. Do you have any advice as how I might avoid damaging it?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2017 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I make a small paint mark on the distributor base, with a matching one on the intake. Note exactly where the rotor his pointing and pull it out. To reinstall simply line up the paint marks and make sure the rotor is pointing exactly the same place (i usually make it straight towards the front of car.). You can make some scratches on the intake and distributor base instead of the paint marks. It should be fine.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock