Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  New Chevy Fiero? Probably not... (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
New Chevy Fiero? Probably not... by RCR
Started on: 02-01-2017 07:54 AM
Replies: 45 (1212 views)
Last post by: hyperv6 on 02-06-2017 12:13 PM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2017 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

MIDDLE aged import tuners or ricers (you pick) will not buy a v8 vette.. bu will buy a turbo 4 mid engine vehicle..
but I'm sure you'll tell me ..welp ,and welp and welp..

Welp....welp....welp welp!
IP: Logged
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

You are doing what many people are doing. Price and utility are the two greatest selling factors. This is why the smaller CUV models are selling so well anymore.

Cheaper to buy cheaper on gas and you still can haul a 70 inch TV or people.

Style and power have moved down the list of wants and needs.

While everyone is not ready for a Spark they are generally down sizing from where they were.

The truth is most people do not need anything but a Spark to get by. It is the appeal of other things that are needed to draw people in to spend more and that has changed over the years as the market has changed.

Right now the CUV is the hit button replacing cars, minivans and larger SUV models. It has become the Swiss Army knife.

You are absolutely right. By the time all us babyboomers are gone the Muscle car as we know it will be dead. GenX barely are interested in cars, and Millennials care almost nothing. The CUV has already overtaken the sedan as the most popular vehicle. Soon every vehicle on the road will be a CUV or a truck or some variation of the two.

And I already admitted that the thrill of a big block V8 is something I don't crave. Barely can work up interest in a small block V8. And when that time comes I would prefer a gently used Corvette with all the engineering work behind it. The charm of the Fiero is that it's a cheap car. If you dump tens of thousands into it trying to make it better you almost always will come up short. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from doing just that. The gently used Corvette would have been a better choice.

The nice thing about my Spark is that in addition to being cheap and getting 40 mpg, it has a touch screen, steering wheel controls, bluetooth and SiriusXM... along with 10 airbags and best of all a 5 speed manual transmission. That doubles as a theft prevention system. Most car jackers today can't drive a manual transmission. I'm teaching my son who is 18...it's a lost art. His generation, Gen Z or whatever they will be called has even less interest in cars than Millennials.

[This message has been edited by jscott1 (edited 02-06-2017).]

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-06-2017 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

The nice thing about my Spark is that in addition to being cheap and getting 40 mpg, it has a touch screen, steering wheel controls, bluetooth and SiriusXM... along with 10 airbags and best of all a 5 speed manual transmission. That doubles as a theft prevention system. Most car jackers today can't drive a manual transmission. I'm teaching my son who is 18...it's a lost art. His generation, Gen Z or whatever they will be called has even less interest in cars than Millennials.

Why would generations have any interest in cars when their parents drive a egg on wheels..
REALLY,,, I'm into cars because my dad and family members owned cool cars.. even if my dad's car was a 66 caprice with s 283 powerglide.. it had glasspacks, or the 73 cutlass that was brown but had a 350 olds that sounded awesome.. neither was fast.. or really "hot" looking .. with hub caps.. but.. It was the sound and the week ends working on it...
when has the last time most parents touch their egg on wheels..

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Why would generations have any interest in cars when their parents drive a egg on wheels..
REALLY,,, I'm into cars because my dad and family members owned cool cars.. even if my dad's car was a 66 caprice with s 283 powerglide.. it had glasspacks, or the 73 cutlass that was brown but had a 350 olds that sounded awesome.. neither was fast.. or really "hot" looking .. with hub caps.. but.. It was the sound and the week ends working on it...
when has the last time most parents touch their egg on wheels..

I agree with your point, but what I'm saying that as parents we have less influence on our children than their peers. My son grew up watching me wrench on my Fieros and watching me mod them and came with me to car shows since the time he was born and today he's more interested in playing xBox with his friends than anything car related.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You are absolutely right. By the time all us babyboomers are gone the Muscle car as we know it will be dead. GenX barely are interested in cars, and Millennials care almost nothing. The CUV has already overtaken the sedan as the most popular vehicle. Soon every vehicle on the road will be a CUV or a truck or some variation of the two.

And I already admitted that the thrill of a big block V8 is something I don't crave. Barely can work up interest in a small block V8. And when that time comes I would prefer a gently used Corvette with all the engineering work behind it. The charm of the Fiero is that it's a cheap car. If you dump tens of thousands into it trying to make it better you almost always will come up short. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from doing just that. The gently used Corvette would have been a better choice.

It used to be for a couple hundred bucks you could pick up a 350 Chevy and build an engine for less than $1000 that would run like crazy. Today the LS engines are not cheap to buy and or build.

Even the Turbo 4 engines are not cheap or easy to build if you have no clue about them. Small blocks were pretty easy to not make a mistake Turbo engines not as much.

It is no wonder people have lost interest.

I make my living in the performance industry and while much as remained the same much has also changed. We used to only be real race parts but now we still sell them but more about bolt on parts for trucks and SUV's.

Performance cars will be here in the future but they will be more and more limited and more expensive due to the lower numbers. But with that said we have standard Malibu sedans now with nearly 300 HP 4 cylinders.

I have owned them all from Turbo 4 to BBC and power is power makes little difference on what engine you chose. Each has strong points and weak points. My little HHR is as fast as my old SS and faster than my last stock BBC and I get 32 MPG high way.

Just FWD sucks when trying to hook up and get things rolling. I have spun the tires in the HHR rolling over 50 MPH and though I broke something when the traction control light and wastegate popped. Who ever claimed FWD has more traction needs shot as there has never been a bigger lie. They forgot the basic principals of physics. For ever action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In racing we call it weight transfer.

Now with Autonomous cars the next problem for those who love to drive. Many will learn to hate it when they are told when and where they can travel for the good of all. Just watch it will happen. Traffic will be heavy and sricers in large city's will get travel slots like Airplanes.

When ever you give up control you lose some choice and freedom.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2017 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hyperv6

5998 posts
Member since Mar 2003

I agree with your point, but what I'm saying that as parents we have less influence on our children than their peers. My son grew up watching me wrench on my Fieros and watching me mod them and came with me to car shows since the time he was born and today he's more interested in playing xBox with his friends than anything car related.

Same here as my son watched me race and work on cars all my life but it is PS4 and Apple 7.

He wants a faster internet line not a faster car.

Though he did ask about driving the Fiero when he gets his license. I almost hugged him. I refrained as that is the worst thing you can do to a teen. I did tell him I was proud of him and he could not drive it to School.

The insurance prevents any driver under 25 anyways but I told my wife if he wanted one we could buy him his own and just carry liability. I know of a low mile GT that if it is ever sold I would consider it for him.

Note my dad was into computers and could only check the oil. But I ran with a neighbor who had a VW chassis at 10 years old and we went from there. I then went to work on a stock car team at 12 and learned how to take things apart and put them together.

I was car crazy anyways since I was a kid. It was born into me and never an environment thing. Some of us just get the bug from birth and others have to be influenced. I was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time to learn and do things even some car crazy kids never get to do.

I remember I was around 13 hanging on to the roll cage going for a ride around some tracks and not trying to sit on the floor to and get burned. Ah the good old days. Can't do that today. LOL!

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 02-06-2017).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock