Started on: 01-07-2017 06:16 PM
Replies: 8 (587 views)
Last post by: liv4God on 01-14-2017 02:00 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are many kits on the market that allow you to electrify your door locks but the ones that I have seen are only straightline actuators. GM used a solenoid with a bellcrank to get the power to the door latch. The question is have any of you had any success adapting the aftermarket door lock opener kits with the small motor actuators? It doesn't appear to be much room to mount them within the door. What say you?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My driver's door lock wouldn't open or close all the way and I was thinking it was the actuator. I installed an aftermarket actuator like you're talking about but didn't help. Then I read on the forum about cleaning the latch and tracks and relubed. The aftermarket actuator worked just fine. I did reinstall the old actuator. What i'm trying to say is the aftermarket actuator works and mounts in the same location as the original

t
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by notwohorns:

My driver's door lock wouldn't open or close all the way and I was thinking it was the actuator. I installed an aftermarket actuator like you're talking about but didn't help. Then I read on the forum about cleaning the latch and tracks and relubed. The aftermarket actuator worked just fine. I did reinstall the old actuator. What i'm trying to say is the aftermarket actuator works and mounts in the same location as the original

t

True but when you start from scratch on a door that never had the actuator, you are missing the bellcrank mechanism that GM used. This allowed placement of the actuator in a set location where it didn't interfere with the window mechanism. Without the bellcrank you have to pull in a different direction. There must be a way to d it but I have never tried it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, see this thread. It's a really simple kit that mounts and then clamps on to the factory rod to lock and unlock the door:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-111077.html

Edit to add, here is the kit for $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car...874e41a8fc9d%26pid%3 D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D281684809999

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-07-2017).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2017 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

^^^ This is what I did. There is room to install the linear actuators parallel to the door lock.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My solution so there was no bend in the actuator rod. Mounted the serve to a piece of angle iron bolted to the door frame. Angle iron let me mount the servo on it's side so that the servo motor was inside the door.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think I've done it both ways inside and outside the door. Either way works. The bends in the rods are not a problem. The original rods are bent if you notice.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2017 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to all who contributed these Ingenious solutions. I will try them but unless I can find the OEM door switches and panels I will just use a remote control activator with a key fob transmitter. Easy and inexpensive.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

liv4God

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2017 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for liv4GodSend a Private Message to liv4GodEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I will try them but unless I can find the OEM door switches and panels I will just use a remote control activator with a key fob transmitter. Easy and inexpensive.

I used the lock buttons from another 80's GM, can't remember the exact model. They look similar to the Fiero ones, but are slightly larger and are a hard plastic instead of the this stuff on the real ones. Also the print is engraved so less likely to wear off. Using a dremel tool I cut out the space and glued them in.
Just another option

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock