What am I missing on swaps ! I just don't get it by robert1234
Started on: 12-10-2016 10:28 AM
Replies: 12 (659 views)
Last post by: Australian on 12-13-2016 05:10 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, now I'm fairly good with my newer non fiero cars, but I just do not understand how you can figure out
if a LS4 / 4T65E-HD Swap will fit in the Fiero and what modifications are needed.
How do you do that ? Measure, cardboard templates ?

What ?????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to take a vacation to Las Vegas and talk to V8Archie.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think his question is more academic as to how did the first person figure it out? That is a very good question and I have no clue. It's one thing to copy someone else's install, but to figure it all out is really hard.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to figure out what engine swap will fit, you get out your tape measure and find out how much room there is in the engine compartment and on the cradle.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the hard work has been done, knowing you can fit a small block chevy V8 with an adapter plate. Therefore anything the same size or smaller will fit.

-Will the engine bolt up to the original transmission? If not, need to create an adapter, or swap in the transmission the engine came with, which needs to be a transversely mounted unit.

-How was the original engine mounted to the donor vehicle? Need to fabricate mounts to sit on a Fiero engine cradle, and clear the trunk wall and frame rails. Otherwise need to modify these areas, which has been done, but requires far more fabrication time.

-How is the spark and fuel management set up? If these systems are tied to the rest of the vehicle systems, can these systems be integrated into the Fiero, made to run without being hooked up to anything, OR is there an aftermarket system that allows the engine to be run in another vehicle?

-If using a different transmission than stock, likely need to fabricate custom CV axles. Splines in the transmission compared to original Fiero, length of shafts, etc.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2016 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Can I put this in there?" It has been going on since Adam and Eve.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
I think his question is more academic as to how did the first person figure it out? That is a very good question and I have no clue.

As one of the pioneers of the LS4/F40 swap, it is rather simple. Don't ask if it will fit/work, ask what it will take for it to fit/work, then make it happen (which will often require modifying or building the parts needed).

It helps to focus on one aspect of the swap at a time, but you also must understand how interrelated many of the aspects are. For example engine placement impacts the design of all the mounts and it also has an impact of the clearance for the accessory drive... so it isn't uncommon for you to have to revisit and tweak each aspect to fine tune the needed balance between all aspects.
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL, good one Tony !

Whew, What I would really like is an LS4 in my formula. But sounds like I would have to fabricate alot of the mounts needed, correct ?

nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

LOL, good one Tony !

Whew, What I would really like is an LS4 in my formula. But sounds like I would have to fabricate alot of the mounts needed, correct ?

Nope, incorrect! You can buy most of the custom fabrication parts from members on here like FieroGuro or a vendor lol or West Coast Fiero.
You can even buy the wire harness and ecm. Almost plog and play but all the hard to fabricate parts are done 4 u.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

LOL, good one Tony !

Fieroking used to sell mounts, axles and other parts for the LS4/4T65e-hd, so you might want to reach out to him. He has done several of these.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-10-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2016 02:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still make mounts, axles, low mount alternator bracket, and wiring harness with or without push button transmission selector. Drop me PM if you want more information.

Joe Sokol

------------------
85 SE Daily driver with a 3.4 DOHC OBD II
88 Formula/GT 4.9 Allante Intake (My Baby)
www.fieroking.com

Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2016 05:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

You need to take a vacation to Las Vegas and talk to V8Archie.

My thoughts as i was reading too wish i could go with a big fat wallet.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock