Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Any people with canards on the front of their Fiero??

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any people with canards on the front of their Fiero?? by PacNWFiero
Started on: 12-05-2016 08:41 PM
Replies: 13 (516 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 12-07-2016 03:03 PM
PacNWFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-05-2016 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just curious as to what it would look like. I know the Fiero can have issues with generating front lift at high speeds, and in addition to venting the radiator's pressure I was thinking that perhaps front canards could help generate some downforce to combat the lift of radiator pressure. Anyway, if you've got a picture of your car with canards that would be awesome!

[This message has been edited by PacNWFiero (edited 12-06-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post12-05-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think doublec4 had some on his car (not sure if he still does).

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 12-05-2016).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 05:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do you envision canards venting radiator pressure?
TommyRocker

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyRockerSend a Private Message to TommyRockerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Venting the radiator could help, but canards won't do a lot. In race cars they're used to fine tune balance but the real down force comes from the wing, splitter, diffuser bits. They look cool, though.
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 09:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Olejoedad- I did not mean that they'd be venting radiator pressure, I meant that they could help produce downforce to combat the lift generated by the pressure.

TommyRocker- I profess, I don't have much experience at all with fluid/aero dynamics, so I don't know much about the actual benefit of them, only that they do look sweet
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PacNWFiero

77 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Raydar- that splitter looks sweet (and I imagine it does it's job quite well), but I don't know how it would fare against the perils of curbs and speed bumps or abrupt changes in grade (dismounting a trailer or something like that). But it would be pretty cool!
Fiero 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was hoping someone would have pics as I am considering these on the front of mine as well when I get around to refinishing it. I'm all about the aesthetics, don't care if they actually do anything.

------------------
Past:
1988 base coupe sold
1984 base coupe rust
Present:
1986 SE 2m6

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At the Fieros.at Auburn show several years ago there was a Fiero with small canards.
They looked like ankle slicers if one wasn't careful walking around the car.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Something to think about...
Any small device that supposedly generates say 200 lbs of downforce, will need an attachment point capable of handling 200 lbs.

Double sided sticky tape and attachment to a plastic fender/fascia isn't going to do much of anything.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

How do you envision canards venting radiator pressure?

I read his post as saying he knows we can vent "radiator pressure", but besides that can something like canards help hold the front end down.
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2016 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Something to think about...
Any small device that supposedly generates say 200 lbs of downforce, will need an attachment point capable of handling 200 lbs.

Double sided sticky tape and attachment to a plastic fender/fascia isn't going to do much of anything.

Yes and no...

Suppose that you install a skirt on the front of the car that creates a vacuum under the nose of the car.

So you would generate some downforce, but the downforce would be acting on the bottom of the car, and not on the skirt.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PacNWFiero:

Just curious as to what it would look like.

Saw this posted from years ago.
I don't have any more details.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2016 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I read his post as saying he knows we can vent "radiator pressure", but besides that can something like canards help hold the front end down.

I can see that interpretation upon rereading.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock