Finaly found a Fiero but not sure how much to offer by Whitefiretiger
Started on: 11-24-2016 03:06 AM
Replies: 17 (436 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 11-27-2016 08:58 AM
Whitefiretiger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Been looking at Fieros for sale since before I could drive and one has recently come up for sale that the owner told be to make a offer and well go from there.
Its an 85 with a 92 3800na swap but the motor has a knock they don't want to fix it.

What might be a good price for this?

[This message has been edited by Whitefiretiger (edited 11-24-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very interesting wire routing on the right. Did you check for rust in all the usual Fiero spots? That Fiero's engine bay doesn't appear particularly clean. You're probably looking at pulling the engine.

I guess the first question is, what is THAT Fiero worth to you? Do you have the knowledge/financial resources to fix that swap and the problems with it? How about to fix the other issues? I'm guessing that the rest of the car is rather rusty.

Generally, you want to buy a Fiero is the best condition you can, then go from there; otherwise, you wind up with a problematic rustbucket. In the case of swaps, you usually don't want to inherit someone else's problems. That looks like a home swap. While I'm not knocking home swaps, they tend to be undocumented, and may have been done with no particular method. I've seen a number of 3800 swaps. This one looks ”interesting”. If a swap is done on the cheap, there may be shortcust that were taken.

Suppose you got this one for $500. Then put $2,000 into fixing that swap. Within the year, you'll probably have another $1,000 of work to do, from brake lines, to end links, steering damper, to brakes. There is probably rust in the trunk and frame rails. The fuel pump, fuel lines, and gas tank may need to be addressed. Were these replaced with the swap? I doubt you can get this car for $500, but these are lowball figures. Are you ready to spend $3,500 for a Fiero? Likely, this seller wants $3,500 as the car sits, and you're looking at more like $6,500. For that much money, you can buy a nice, running 3800 Fiero.

Personally, I'd keep my options open. There are a lot of great Fieros out there. Don't jump on the first one to come along. I'd recommend looking in the Mall here on PFF, and buy from a member here.

Here is a quick link to a cleaner install: http://www.gmtuners.com/85FieroL36/index.htm

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 11-24-2016).]

Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking I might be able to get it for under $500.
As for a motor I'm not worried I've got friends that have 3800na cars setting with good motors but totalled bodies.
I'm hoping to go see the fiero after the holiday. What areas should I be most concerned with to check for rust?
Any major things I should look at?
This is the first fiero I've seen under $2500 that didn't have mayor rust showing in the pics. Most of them I've seen under $2500 in my area I see in the junk yard about a month later because they are too far gone.

I'd rather put some work and money into a fiero instead of the car I'm currently driving.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks.

Any other major areas beyond the trunk?

If I think its in good enough shape and get it I'd start by replacing the motor and doing some cleanup then maybe down the road look into a 3800sc.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull back the trunk carpet. Check the trunk sides and bottom for rust. Anything worse than a light brown is probably bad, because frame rails are there. If just the bottom of the trunk is rusted, it could be that the decklid leaked, but then the interior of the decklid is probably also rusted. Look underneath the rear of the car, at the visible frame and suspension. If you see jagged or sharp edges, run. Look at the cooling tubes along the sides. If visible rust, avoid. Look under the front, behind the nose. Anything more than surface rust, run. Look at the rack and front suspension. If the rubber is gone, or the lower control arms are rusty, run.

The interior looks OK.

If the car passes that, and you can get it for less than $500, there are other things to consider. Who can do the work? Probably lots of things will need to be fixed, even when swapping in the same non-stock engine. The engines in your friends' cars are presumably sitting and deteriorating. They may need a rebuild. Usually there is a reason a car is under $500. I got a cheap Fiero. It was a money pit. Often, when someone with a problem swap is selling cheap and doesn't want to fix it, there is a reason. The car may be too far gone, or the swap may have been done incorrectly. I could be doing this seller an injustice, but if you buy a Fiero expecting to spend $4,000, have it running within a few months, and drive it for 5 years, spending $1,000 per year, but end up spending $8,000, and the car still isn't reliable or running after a year, it will be a terrible Fiero experience.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whitefiretiger:

I'd start by replacing the motor and doing some cleanup then maybe down the road look into a 3800sc.

Just an opinion........

If you already know you eventually want a 3800SC, why not just do it now?

Why replace the motor with another 3800NA and then some time later drop the cradle and do everything all over again? One of the few things to change going directly with the 3800SC swap, if it is an automatic, is just the transmission bracket. All of the other mounts for the engine block will be the same. Everything else should also be pretty much the same. I know there will be some small differences in the wiring harness for sensors and such, but it should be very minimal, and something you would still have to do if you waited.
Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks now I'm informed more areas to check.

I do all my own work. I worked auto body for years (never did have a Fiero in the shop tho but tons of other classics) I've rebuilt many engines and fixed way more bad wiring jobs than I'd like to think about. Overall not too worried about much other than making sure the body is good. Shoot my girl boight a 79 Trans am project car with a very good body but a horrific sbc 350 / 700r4 swap that I had to rip apart and redo.
Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whitefiretiger

17 posts
Member since Nov 2016

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Just an opinion........

If you already know you eventually want a 3800SC, why not just do it now?

Very valid but mostly cost. I could get a running 3800na for $100 or so from my friend but cant find a sc around here for under $400 unknown condition. Figure starting na would be cheaper and let me get used to the car and keep my eye open for a good sc for later.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why don't you spend 3 days to drive to and from Ontario and pick up one here in Canada? you will save a boat load of money because of the exchange. There are a couple for sale here in Ontario, 2 really good 84 auto's

this one has 66000km (40000 miles) for $1800 Canadian (1300 US) http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true

this one has 44000km (27500 miles) for $2750 Canadian (2000 US) http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars...hNavigationFlag=true

importing is easy
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you really want to find a good price for a used motor go on the Ontario Automobile Recyclers Association website .Just do a google for OARA . Their search engine covers dozens of wreckers in Ontario
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bringing a car to the US can be fun. No personal experience. Just hearsay.

I wouldn't go with the first Fiero to come along. Depending on rust, this one could have possibilities for the OP's skills. Personally, I think the '86 notchie has the best parts availability, the '88 the best options, but the '87 has the best of both worlds (gen2 headlight motors, larger gas tank). I'm not into headrest speakers.

If this car is still running, an option may be to just drive it as is until the engine dies, then go to a 3800SC. There is plenty else to fix in the meantime. Money is obviously a concern.

I still think that buying a car in good condition is the way to go. It's cheaper to get a nice one than to restore a poor one.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:
I still think that buying a car in good condition is the way to go. It's cheaper to get a nice one than to restore a poor one.

This could not be MORE TRUE! I bought my 86 for $350 thinking it was such a bargain! (Build log and restoration link) 4 years later I have over $10,000 into it to bring it back to like new condition. ($3,500 of that was for a 3800SC swap).

I SOOOOooooo wish I had just spent a little more money to start with, for a nicer car. I would have save tons of money and countless hours working on it.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 11-24-2016).]

Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everybody.

Hoping to see the car myself after the holiday (owner wasnt sure if coming back Saturday or monday).
I did get a chance to ask a couple more questions and found it was bought with the swap and line at apartment with a no place to work on it and not wanting to pay a shop.

I'm crossing my fingers its not rusted out; if its rusty I'll pass unless they basicly give it to me then might pick up to part out.

[This message has been edited by Whitefiretiger (edited 11-24-2016).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My experience is that you can hardly GIVE AWAY a non running car, never mind sell it so if the motor is toast or close to it, he's not going to be able to sell if for much more than scrap value, which is also pretty much nothing.
IF the chassis is good and you have the tools/confidence/time/money to replace the motor (you said you have motors) AND you can get it real cheap as in $300-$400 range then it might be worth it. Let's face it the guy has a non usable car right now vs a couple of hundred bucks in his pocket. Don't be afraid to come in low with an offer if the rest of the car is reasonable (you can always go up a bit) but don't be afraid to walk away from it either. These things can be money pits but also great little cars once you fix the result of many years of 'keep it on the road' maintenance. Looking at the engine bay and interior, that one looks to have had a hard life!
Or as other have said, just keep looking and pay more for a well maintained running example. Nothing in the mall on here?

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Whitefiretiger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2016 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhitefiretigerSend a Private Message to WhitefiretigerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm disabled after an accident a few years back and can't afford more than a few hundred bucks at a time so it would be if this ones solid buy it and park it till i get a good motor then slowly fix it up.

Being disabled makes it almost impossible to have a nice car but working on cars makes me happy so I dont mind one that needs love.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2016 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whitefiretiger:

I'm disabled after an accident a few years back and can't afford more than a few hundred bucks at a time so it would be if this ones solid buy it and park it till i get a good motor then slowly fix it up.

Being disabled makes it almost impossible to have a nice car but working on cars makes me happy so I dont mind one that needs love.

This concerns me. Even if you buy a running Fiero in great condition, it will require maintenance to keep it running and on the road. If you only have a few hundred dollars, even with lots of work, you may not be able to keep up with the maintenance. Parts cost money. I don't know the extent of your disability, but read railshot's thread. He had the know-how, but age is working against him.

There are ups and downs when working on a Fiero. It could be years before you get this Fiero running and on the road--if ever. JohnWPB's Fiero was very trying. That $10,000 didn't include his labor or that of a lot of other people. I'm not even sure his sage is over. His car acted as if it'd been in a flood, and left a lot of Fiero gurus scratching their heads.

With this Fiero, especially after reading that the swap was at an apartment, I'm sure lots of corners were cut.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2016 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO, ANY automobile with a bad engine is valued at the salvage price. Its worth about $300.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock