Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Whats the proper way to check for rust under the trunk liner?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Whats the proper way to check for rust under the trunk liner? by bigjoe25
Started on: 03-11-2016 10:29 PM
Replies: 13 (704 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 11-13-2020 09:20 AM
bigjoe25

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2016 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I went to look at a fiero and wanted to do the normal trunk rust check by pulling back the trunk liner. It seemed to never been moved and was glued on there good. The guy went nuts and said he didn't want it peeled back so I never did get to look.

So whats the proper way to peel back the trunk liner to check for rust? Maybe next time I won't look like a jackass not knowing what I'm doing and wrecking some guys trunk liner in the process.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Out of 6 Fieros, I've never had one glued in place. They just sit there. The top edge is sort of captured by the trunk seal but that's it. If it's stuck, I'd guess it's due to moisture. You can look up from underneath. Not quite the same view but close. You can also try feeling around and pushing on the carpet to feel or hear for any rust. Not always the most reliable as the trunk carpet is fairly thick but it's a start.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bigjoe25:

I went to look at a fiero and wanted to do the normal trunk rust check by pulling back the trunk liner. It seemed to never been moved and was glued on there good. The guy went nuts and said he didn't want it peeled back so I never did get to look.

So whats the proper way to peel back the trunk liner to check for rust? Maybe next time I won't look like a jackass not knowing what I'm doing and wrecking some guys trunk liner in the process.

That "line" right there should make you pass.

I can guarantee you it's rotted!
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lay on your back & look up with a good flashlight. You can see the whole horizontal underside area that typically deteriorates first.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did it the right way, they're not glued in like that from the factory. Only the very bottom middle of the trunk is stuck to the frame, the rest just floats and conforms to the shape of the trunk. Sounds like he glued it in place so people couldn't see the trunk corner condition. Rust in this area is a well-known thing when looking at these cars now, he probably did a little research and found this is the first thing informed buyers look for.

Don't end up with THIS:

It's a ***** to fix.

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 03-12-2016).]

bigjoe25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bigjoe25Send a Private Message to bigjoe25Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replys. I'm in the market for a new fiero and don't want to deal with rust. The guy may of glued it I'm not sure, either way I did pass on that car.

I'll try all the methods to make sure I'm not dealing with swiss cheese.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2016 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Though it isn't a promise of a perfect trunk, you could simply press firmly all over the trunk and blindly feel for rust with the carpet in place. A crunching noise/feel would be a dead giveaway to rust issues here. Not feeling/hearing anything at all wouldn't matter, but a definite "no" can be determined, at least. :shrug:
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember, you should be able to see the corners and bottom of the trunk compartment from underneath. My guess is he may have stuck some metal over holes, and glued the carpet down. In the old days when floors rusted out, it was common to stick and old licence plate under the carpet.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2016 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If I remember, you should be able to see the corners and bottom of the trunk compartment from underneath. My guess is he may have stuck some metal over holes, and glued the carpet down. In the old days when floors rusted out, it was common to stick and old licence plate under the carpet.

LOL!

My buddy had a '67 GTO years ago. He used cardboard and tar in the trunk.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bigjoe25:

Trunk carpets on Fieros were never glued in place. The dealer that you went to is most likely a scoundrel.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I posted this in another thread, but it's worth posting here, too.

Pull back the trunk carpet on both sides of the trunk. The "short" sides. Look between the top, where the rubber seal is, and the little shelf that is on each side.
The cleaner that "side wall" is, the better. Look out for big holes and/or metal just rotted away.
And no... the carpet is not normally glued. I've never seen a car where it was.

Rust can appear in other places, but if it's anywhere, it will usually be in one of these places. Either side. No real rhyme or reason as to left or right.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-12-2020).]

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I posted this in another thread, but it's worth posting here, too.

Pull back the trunk carpet on both sides of the trunk. The "short" sides. Look between the top, where the rubber seal is, and the little shelf that is on each side.
The cleaner that "side wall" is, the better. Look out for big holes and/or metal just rotted away.
And no... the carpet is not normally glued. I've never seen a car where it was.

Rust can appear in other places, but if it's anywhere, it will usually be in one of these places. Either side. No real rhyme or reason as to left or right.

What kind of car is that..... ........................

I have not seen a Fiero Trunk that clean here in MN in 20 years.... Put it in a museum...
Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2020 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

What kind of car is that..... ........................

I have not seen a Fiero Trunk that clean here in MN in 20 years.... Put it in a museum...

That one was sold years ago, but I have two others that look just like it.
Gotta love living in the south. (Although the trade-off is that you have to put up with gnats, grits, and rattlesnakes. )

All kidding aside, I parted out a wrecked Formula that came from Tennessee. Not a spot of rust on it anywhere, but everything was covered in a layer of dust. (The previous owner had lived on a dirt road.) I found dust in places that I didn't even know were places.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-13-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock