Spiders, Snow, Clocks & Android by Chris_narf
Started on: 11-01-2016 10:37 AM
Replies: 7 (218 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-05-2016 12:53 AM
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I <3 this forum, there's a lot of good information on it. In fact, it's one of the few sites that I read like a news paper every morning on my tablet.... aka the "new" newspaper. The spiders, snow and clocks are fun and all, but the way the code is currently written, it causes havoc with Android's Chrome browser since they all Use Shockwave Flash (super insecure, vulnerable and becoming deprecated, but that's another topic).

Here's what I see:

Here's why that's coming up:

Having your cake and eatiing it too:
There are a few options for dealing with this, but the best possible one would be to have JavaScript logic that doesn't load any SWF content when it detects a mobile browser as the user agent.
StackOverflow - JavaScript how to check User Agent for Mobile/Tablet

I don't have the power to "fix" it... that's up to Cliff. I can, however, help everyone out and explain what's going on for other users that are likely seeing the same issue.

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, Snow will be another problem in December.
Nice fix but really need to stop using Spiders and Snow on PFF because FF Chrome and other browsers on Windows and Linux for PC are blocking the Flash plugin.
(The clock breaks but the page should load otherwise.)
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/097085.html

Some problems could be fix by editing Templates for PFF to add HTML version statements but still hasn't happen. (Missing HTML4 version statement and current browsers try to render pages as HTML5 or a mix of two.)
Cliff has said new version of PFF is coming but no time table as to when.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chris_narf:
Having your cake and eatiing it too:
There are a few options for dealing with this, but the best possible one would be to have JavaScript logic that doesn't load any SWF content when it detects a mobile browser as the user agent.
StackOverflow - JavaScript how to check User Agent for Mobile/Tablet

I don't have the power to "fix" it... that's up to Cliff. I can, however, help everyone out and explain what's going on for other users that are likely seeing the same issue.

Unfortunately, it can't just be limited to not showing the stuff on mobile browsers. The Flash bits really just need to go away.
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stupid story that has really nothing to do with phones etc....But I saw "spiders" and "snow".....

My (Now ex) GF and I went to a lake in the mountains boat camping....I have been doing this for my whole(56) life- a LOT- and have only ever seen a few garter(Non-poisonous) snakes....NEVER a Rattler or any other actually dangerous snake.....So the first night my dog starts barking at the hill/wall behind the tent- root hole/rattler den! MY GF has a real phobia and after hearing her story about being cut off from shore by a water moccasin at age 8 I can understand...She took something..medicinal, and went to sleep...I followed the 2 footer down the path into a marsh where he was going for a frog meal.

For 6 months it was "Your fault Eric!" until we went up to Arnold(4000') to go snow skiing in February...We pulled into the hotel and she goes to use the facilities...comes out and announces, "There's a worm on the floor in there!" I go to pick it up.....A baby snake, appox' 4" long!.....In winter, inside, while snow is on the ground! NOT......MY.....FAULT!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The snow isn't flash. It's pure JavaScript. As for the spider and the clock, the clock simply won't display if you don't have flash. And the spider, well, is only there for two, three days a year.
Chris_narf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

The snow isn't flash. It's pure JavaScript. As for the spider and the clock, the clock simply won't display if you don't have flash. And the spider, well, is only there for two, three days a year.

Thanks for reading; I wasn't sure it would bubble up your way.

I say we post a challenge and do the spider thing w/o Adobe Flash... AND we could celebrate by dragging Adobe Flash out into the middle of a field, covering it with thermite and burn it out of existence.

I really do like the forum and have a lot of respect for the amount of work (and money) it takes to run. With iOS, Android, OS X, Windows, Linix and all the various sub versions, cross-platform browsing compatibility is not a trivial task.

Thank you Cliff!

------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

Christine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I love the spider and look forward to seeing it every year.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wanna see a Flash version of a baby snake now... amongst the snow.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock