Eeek the Spider is back!!! by Fiero Vampire
Started on: 10-29-2016 11:24 PM
Replies: 17 (423 views)
Last post by: dobey on 11-01-2016 02:46 PM
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
lol thanks Cliff for making me jump!

Nice Halloween banner!

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vampire (edited 10-29-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dylpro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DylproSend a Private Message to DylproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't sure what this was referring too until it scared the sh!t outta me! Damn near threw my computer off the desk!
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2016 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just get an annoying full page overlay showing that I don't have flash. Often have to reload the page a few times to get it to go away. :-/
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not so good for someone with arachnophobia (like me).
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I get "plugin not supported "
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 570
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the Spiders but Sadly the Spider and Clock needs to be dead this years.

Originally posted by dobey:
I just get an annoying full page overlay showing that I don't have flash. Often have to reload the page a few times to get it to go away. :-/
Even when user have Flash installed... FF and others are now blocking all Flash as default behavior.

I get Outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" is disabled after installed current Flash yesterday. Even then a make FF to always ask for allowing Flash and others to run.

Flash auto enabled on any PC is a good way for malware on you machine. Flash, like Java, has so many security problems.
Most smartphone and many ARM cpu tablets won't install flash at all. Main problem Flash and other plugins eats battery life.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to agree, it is time to COMPLETELY Kill flash. I am a computer tech, and it took me a couple minutes to figure why PFF was not working correctly. I get a pretty subtle hint in the address bar, where I had to click the icon to the far left of the URL (shows in red in the screen capture below.) Need to click that and over-ride the flash, and then the thread appeared as normal.

If anyone is getting a blank page while on PFF, check your flash settings.....

Fierochic88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fierochic88Send a Private Message to Fierochic88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Happy Halloween Cliff! ;-)
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-31-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, this rule seems to take care of it in ublock origin/adblock+:

www.fiero.nl##_SPA

EDIT: Err, it seemed like the rule was working, but just now got full page failed plug-in overlay again.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 10-31-2016).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, this rule seems to take care of it in ublock origin/adblock+:

www.fiero.nl##_SPA

EDIT: Err, it seemed like the rule was working, but just now got full page failed plug-in overlay again.
Rules in other plugins won't help when the Browser blocks Flash.

FF use Red "Lego Brick" on Address bar to show the Browser Block as shown in image above.

FF Chrome and others are trying to kill Flash and Shockwave because so many security problems but also hidden agenda to hurt/kill Adobe. To many, Adobe = MS Apple and others and must hurt them anywhere they can.
Big Problem w/ is plane will require to rewrite millions of sites and that means Billions of $ and most businesses are in no hurry to rewrite or buy that HTML5 is any more secure. Many have seen this claim before and got burned when claim is BS.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2016 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I like the spider. Rambles just fine in Chrome.

Tried IE... no spider.
PFF
System Bot
Lunatic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LunaticSend a Private Message to LunaticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I run Linux and use Chrome as my browser. I can see the spider. I've actually seen two spiders appear at once. I like it.

Speaking of spiders, I literally just took my spider emblem from my H-body and put it into the Cavalier wheel. This will be going into my Fiero.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Tried IE... no spider.
Have you and others upgraded Chrome lately?

Today, more than 90% of Flash on the web loads behind the scenes to support things like page analytics. This kind of Flash slows you down, and starting this September, Chrome 53 will begin to block it.
From Flash and Chrome PR statement in 8/16 at Google

"Old" versions of Flash can/will be block too.

If Adobe Flash isn't working or you're encountering the "Adobe Flash has been blocked because it is out of date" error message on your computer, check that you're on the latest version of Chrome and that Flash is up-to-date.
from https://support.google.com/...answer/6258784?hl=en
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2016 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Rules in other plugins won't help when the Browser blocks Flash.

FF use Red "Lego Brick" on Address bar to show the Browser Block as shown in image above.

FF Chrome and others are trying to kill Flash and Shockwave because so many security problems but also hidden agenda to hurt/kill Adobe. To many, Adobe = MS Apple and others and must hurt them anywhere they can.
Big Problem w/ is plane will require to rewrite millions of sites and that means Billions of $ and most businesses are in no hurry to rewrite or buy that HTML5 is any more secure. Many have seen this claim before and got burned when claim is BS.

Yes, it does (can) help. When you block the element which contains the flash, then it doesn't attempt to load/render it. There is no hidden agenda to hurt/kill Adobe. Your conspiracy theories and over exaggeration of things, is what doesn't help. Google is literally the only way to get a reasonably modern version of Flash on Linux via Chrome, as they licensed Flash from Adobe to support the Chrome PPAPI plug-in API, and Adobe has abandoned Flash on Linux themselves. If Google wanted to hurt Adobe, they sure wouldn't be paying them whatever ridiculous amount of money they pay for the Flash source code and distribution rights. That's not how things work when you have the amount of cash that Google has. If Google really wanted to hurt Adobe, they would just buy the company.

Plugins are inherently insecure, especially as NPAPI plug-ins.

The issue is not just blocking of Flash. If it simply blocked it, then there wouldn't really be a problem (other than the Flash just not working, and thus no spider displaying here). Many systems just don't have Flash available, whether it is blocked by the browser or not.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 11-01-2016).]

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I am looking at it from a user's point of view.... it is of no value and causes issues for various platforms.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you and others upgraded Chrome lately?

Chrome seems to update itself on a regular basis... so, yes!

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There is no hidden agenda to hurt/kill Adobe. Your conspiracy theories and over exaggeration of things, is what doesn't help. Google is literally the only way to get a reasonably modern version of Flash on Linux via Chrome, as they licensed Flash from Adobe to support the Chrome PPAPI plug-in API, and Adobe has abandoned Flash on Linux themselves. If Google wanted to hurt Adobe, they sure wouldn't be paying them whatever ridiculous amount of money they pay for the Flash source code and distribution rights. That's not how things work when you have the amount of cash that Google has. If Google really wanted to hurt Adobe, they would just buy the company.
Google had little choice. If Chrome didn't support Flash at all... Chrome won't work for most users and won't bother to DL the browser and Chromebook sales won't get off the ground. Now may block Flash but is still in them because can't use millions of sites if dropped.
Google many not want to hurt Adobe but doesn't want to pay big money for license to use Flash either. Paying license frees or pay millions more to fight in court for patent/copyright suits.
Google is still fighting Oracle over Java in Android that cost 100's of Millions of $.

Adobe and many others has or is stopping development on Linux because Linux users don't generate money to make it worth the effort. Same Reason many stopped or never started supporting Mac years ago... Very little money to be made on Mac. Linux is <2.2% and Mac is <2.75% of Desktop Operating System Market Share. Less, often far Far less, than that number is using whatever software. Flash is "free" to users but is Client Software and not enough Linux Clients to bother Adobe. But Google is in a hard spot because Chromebooks and some others are built on Linux so are still force to pay for Flash, likely for years.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-01-2016 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Google had little choice. If Chrome didn't support Flash at all... Chrome won't work for most users and won't bother to DL the browser and Chromebook sales won't get off the ground. Now may block Flash but is still in them because can't use millions of sites if dropped.
Google many not want to hurt Adobe but doesn't want to pay big money for license to use Flash either. Paying license frees or pay millions more to fight in court for patent/copyright suits.
Google is still fighting Oracle over Java in Android that cost 100's of Millions of $.

Adobe and many others has or is stopping development on Linux because Linux users don't generate money to make it worth the effort. Same Reason many stopped or never started supporting Mac years ago... Very little money to be made on Mac. Linux is <2.2% and Mac is <2.75% of Desktop Operating System Market Share. Less, often far Far less, than that number is using whatever software. Flash is "free" to users but is Client Software and not enough Linux Clients to bother Adobe. But Google is in a hard spot because Chromebooks and some others are built on Linux so are still force to pay for Flash, likely for years.

Google has all the choice they want. Millions of devices are sold every year which don't support Flash, and run Chrome. Google has enough cash, and enough clout, to be able to convince sites to move away from Flash and Java.

Stop making assumptions about Google and Flash. I have plenty of friends that work at Google. And I literally wrote the original NPAPI plug-in implementation that was used in Chrome, which later got updated to be PPAPI when they forked the engine.

Those millions of sites already don't work for millions of people. They just aren't that important. Most of them are crappy sites that have almost no visitors anyway, and are likely not maintained.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock