Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  GM valve cover to intake tube recall, does it need to be done?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
GM valve cover to intake tube recall, does it need to be done? by jjd2296
Started on: 10-30-2016 11:11 AM
Replies: 8 (467 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-04-2016 10:17 PM
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 87 GT has the rubber gasket in place still and I'm not sure if the recall was done, I have to take a look but lets say its not done is it necessary? was this recall just done to deal with the bad press??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The recall was done to reduce the risk of fire due to no maintenance by owners. I doubt if there are any current Fiero owners that ignore their cars. If you keep your engine reasonably clean, dead leaves off your rear deck, change your oil, and make sure the tubes are in good condition, you don't need to do the recall.

edit: One thing to avoid is opening the rain-soaked rear deck on a hot engine. If you must do that, try to minimize the water falling down on the front exhaust manifold.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 10-30-2016).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jjd2296:

GM valve cover to intake tube recall, does it need to be done?

My 87 GT has the rubber gasket in place still and I'm not sure if the recall was done, I have to take a look but lets say its not done is it necessary?

What is it you're concerned about... the rubber strip along the front of the decklid, or the PCV routing?

This is what the pre-recall engine bay looked like. If you still have that odd looking snorkel between the throttle-body and air filter canister, then the recall hasn't been done to your Fiero. If it hasn't, I'd get the parts from a wrecked 2.8 Fiero... although it isn't absolutely necessary to do it.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The valve cover to intake recall was done to eliminate the likelyhood that the connection between the stationary tube on the firewall and the non-stationary engine would separate, discharging oil onto the exhaust. This possibility increased as mounts, torque struts and dogbones wore and suffered reduced function. Along with other parts, the replacement included a different rubber intake tube and a metal tube mounted entirely on the engine so everything moved as 1 unit.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2016 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok mine definitely doesn't look like that so sound like it was probably done. I cant look at the car right now to confirm as its in storage. thnx
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd leave the deck lid weatherstrip in place as it prevents water and leaves from getting in. I installed one on my 87 10 years ago and and nothing bad has happened. I believe that there is a benefit to having it in place and have no idea why GM removed it. As for opening the deck in the rain, I squeegee the drops off with my hand before opening it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2016 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, PVC was to prevent tearing/pulling the hoses to FW tube. I think This was main issue for V6.
even when owners clean the engine bay, Enough oil can get inside the PVC tubes even on new engines.

Plastic "seal" on front of lid was remove on many...
Removing was supposed to help airflow.
Depending where you parked... seal w/ lid close can carry a lot of crap and dump to exhaust parts when open. Cars parked near or under trees, worse are Pines, the seal can store leaves/seeds/needles and many don't check before opening the lid.
Crap can get in the bay when close w/o the seal but more falls straight down along the FW away from exhaust manifold.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Yes, PVC was to prevent tearing/pulling the hoses to FW tube. I think This was main issue for V6.
even when owners clean the engine bay, Enough oil can get inside the PVC tubes even on new engines.

Plastic "seal" on front of lid was remove on many...
Removing was supposed to help airflow.
Depending where you parked... seal w/ lid close can carry a lot of crap and dump to exhaust parts when open. Cars parked near or under trees, worse are Pines, the seal can store leaves/seeds/needles and many don't check before opening the lid.
Crap can get in the bay when close w/o the seal but more falls straight down along the FW away from exhaust manifold.

Must disagree. The deck lid seal extends the effective length of the deck. Anything laying on the deck will be pushed father back away from the manifold when the deck opens. It's also better in a rain storm as it seals the front of the deck lid and prevents water entry. I wish that someone would make deck lids seals so that I could add them to all of my Fieros. Ten years on my 87GT and no negative results.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I wish that someone would make deck lids seals so that I could add them to all of my Fieros.

Dennis, we had a good discussion... and a solution... Here... with references to This thread... but nobody ran with it.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock