WTB original recall deck lid weather strip by 2tone86gt
Started on: 09-21-2015 12:51 AM
Replies: 20 (936 views)
Last post by: carnut122 on 09-26-2015 07:29 PM
2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking to buy an original recall weather strip if anyone has one available. Send me a PM thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bkw88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The recall for the weatherstrip was to remove it. As it caught leaves and other debris. One of the fire causes. Just letting you know
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2015 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am completely aware of that however if you keep a cover over it or keep it in garage it is not an issue.. I mainly want one to keep water off the exhaust manifold. Thanks for your concern though.
FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the weatherstrip on mine and while it helps to channel water away while the lid as closed, any water sitting on the deck still gets dumped right on the exhaust when opened. I've been looking into installing a sort of trough channel that shields it better.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Years back there was a guy by the name of Mike Freed from Florida that sold a flexible water diverter (rain gutter ) that clipped to the deck and the firewall. MIke' s diverter was a strip of neoprene the length of the deck lid, with two metal strips along the sides. It was a great invention as it kept out rain water and channeled it off to the sides and at the same time prevented leaves and debris from entering.
I don't know what became of Mike Freed and his invention but I sure wish that someone would start making them again. Anyone know what became of Mike Freed?
As for finding a deck weatherstrip, most were removed and discarded. I used to occasionally find them at the junkyards but your best bet is to purchase some stock weather strip from Metro Molded parts and find a couple of clips that would work. On some recalls the weatherstrip was taken off and the clips were left on the deck lids
------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-22-2015).]

bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Interesting. I never knew that had been done......I might have to us my brain and make something like that........hmmmmmmm. Now the gears are squeaking..........
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It was a great invention as it kept out rain water and channeled it off to the sides and at the same time prevented leaves and debris from entering.

That would work a whole lot better than the original factory weatherstrip.

I actually just recently put an original weatherstrip on my Formula. What I'm hoping it'll do is prevent rainwater (which normally drips down onto the forward exhaust manifold) from fogging up the outside of my rear window when I first start the Formula on a cool damp day. But yeah, anything collecting on it is just going to be dumped as soon as the decklid is opened.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-22-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The thing most beneficial about Freed's water diverter was that it was attached to the firewall and to the deck lid at all times. Picture having a length of fleible rubber there. When you open the deck in the rain the water rolls into the gutter shape and out of the sides. Nothing falls on the exhaust or the engine. I have one of these here that will be installed on my rag top project. I'll try to find it and post pictures. This was a fantastic solution but to my knowledge Mike only made a few of them. The year was 1999 or 2000 just when the internet began taking off so its possible that poor exposure caused the product to not sell well. Don't mean to hijack this thread but this can be a solution for those looking to keep the engine compartment dry and debris free.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'll try to find it and post pictures.

Got it.

Come install an aftermarket recall rear decklid weatherstrip diverter

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-22-2015).]

canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This overhead garage door bottom seal available from Home Depot for less than $10 may be a workable alternative.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/...-Doors-RV9/100139938

The Mike Freed water diverter is available from most home heating furnace suppliers. It is used as an isolation barrier and expansion joint material between a furnace and adjacent ductwork to prevent movement and sound vibration when a furnace motor operates.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

This overhead garage door bottom seal available from Home Depot for less than $10 may be a workable alternative.

Weatherstrip Seal Replacement for Garage Doors

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that would be far too stiff.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Got it.

Come install an aftermarket recall rear decklid weatherstrip diverter

Beat me to it. That thread shows it all. IMO, a great solution but Mike Freed seems to have faded out of the hobby. The feature that I liked best was that this diverter did not allow anything to fall on the engine at the end of the deck lid. You could open the deck in the pouring rain and the rain would just flow to the sides. I wish that the Fiero Store would consider making these but they seem to be firm in their policy to supply mainly stock parts.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...a great solution but Mike Freed seems to have faded out of the hobby.

I'm surprised some Fiero enthusiast hasn't simply picked up where he left off and made these available. It's not like Mike Freed had a patent on this idea, and he appears to have dropped out of the Fiero community years ago.

How difficult could it be to fabricate them? They look pretty simple.

Here we are - Flexible Duct Connector

Cut it to length, use a bending brake to shape the metal strips (as in the image of the finished item in my previous post)... BINGO, good to go.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-23-2015).]

2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pic of that material Patrick looks narrow compared to the width of the "diverter" is there multiple widths available? I know someone with a metal brake. So let me get this straight from the instructions,, the end that has the 90 degree bend is the firewall side and it just wedges tween the metal and bottom side of the molding??
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

The pic of that material Patrick looks narrow compared to the width of the "diverter"

How are you able to determine scale from that image? That roll of material could be a foot wide.

I have no idea what sizes are available. I was just happy to find the stuff, and I grabbed an image.

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

So let me get this straight from the instructions,, the end that has the 90 degree bend is the firewall side and it just wedges tween the metal and bottom side of the molding??

If someone doesn't come along and answer this here, maybe we should start a thread about this in the tech area of PFF. There isn't usually too much tech talk here in the Mall.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I'll have to take a trip to the local hardware store and see what is available. It is a great idea no doubt.
canfirst

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 03:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for canfirstSend a Private Message to canfirstEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that would be far too stiff.

I took a look at my overhead garage door bottom seals and they are light gauge vinyl and very flexible. If you have an opportunity take a look at the Home Depot bottom garage door seal, I think it would be an excellent replacement for the Fiero recall weatherstrip, just have to figure out a method of fastening it to the firewall and underside of the deck lid.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/...-Doors-RV9/100139938
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by canfirst:

...just have to figure out a method of fastening it to the firewall and underside of the deck lid.

I guess the advantage of the Flexible Duct Connector is that it has the metal strips along both sides which can be reformed to enable a custom fitment.

Whatever is used, it isn't rocket-science, and I'm surprised no one has come up with a suitable replacement after Mike Freed stopped making his diverters years ago.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the right track. It looks like this is what Mike Freed used as in the picture in the prior thread
Its called Unitex flexible duct strips and it comes in different widths.

With slight mods this stuff should work but I believe that Mike modified them so that they would fit under the glass edge at the firewall

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 09-24-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2015 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis, please fix your post. The thread is now stretched WAY too wide to read properly.

[EDIT] Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 09-24-2015).]

carnut122

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have one for sale. Make me an offer.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock