Started on: 10-22-2016 01:20 AM
Replies: 15 (469 views)
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-06-2016 12:58 PM
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to swap out my 2 OEM headlights for 4 of the smaller new types. Any suggestions on a source/donor vehicle for the lamps?

I also plan on converting the stock -PIA- actuating system to a worm gear driven setup. The above changes should provide an easy to adjust and reliable lamp height system with improved illumination. Presently, I'm not sure if I'll make the setup for others.

------------------
my 86 2.8 intercooled turbo

[URL=http://s16.photobucket.com/user/francis44/media/69ba83f6-9cfd-4291-88fe-5a4ea85369e4_zpsd980ade4.jpg.html]
my 87 norm aspri but highy modified 2.8

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might look at the headlight motors for the Celica Supra of the 80's. It's a very strong motor. Also, do a search for the headlights on PFF. Someone here (I don't remember who) makes a system that only raises partially, uses projector lights, and looks much cleaner than the stock Fiero lights. Would look really good on your car.
Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2016 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Danyel makes a badass kit.
Here

[This message has been edited by Oregon88 (edited 10-25-2016).]

Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2016 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for relies guys
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm sure you know of these...http://www.projectorretrofit.com/

Bob
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Francis T:
I also plan on converting the stock -PIA- actuating system to a worm gear driven setup. The above changes should provide an easy to adjust and reliable lamp height system with improved illumination. Presently, I'm not sure if I'll make the setup for others.
And how are you going to control this.

Fiero does have problems but Both are design to stop at end of travel and also Ice jams or anything stopping the doors open close or anywhere in between open/close.
Gen 2 is much better but Gen 1 try to protect the bucket etc too. See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

Means counting steps for open/close is not enough. If you don't monitor power load then will wreck the replacement motor, door and/or bucket.

Originally posted by Oregon88:
Danyel makes a badass kit.
Here
Problem is His and others will damage the doors because they cut off the bearing points on the bucket that hit the door strips to stop grinding the fiberglass.
Main bucket has only Two points that hits plastic bearing strips underside of the door.
Trim has two more as backup and one, both or none can hit the door when fully open. Trim is Polypropylene and does not get load to open the doors so little risk of damaging either part.
Anything else hitting the door then likely bucket alignment is off and/or trim is warped.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Evening Ogre ---- I'm lucky enough to live in Francis's neck of the woods. I haven't seen his prototype of this but if there is anyone who can work out the details --- he's the one! I messed around with a setup using a linier actuator that worked quite well, but when I converted to the gen II system I stopped tinkering with it. I might pick up the project again this winter as time permits.

And by the way --- Thanks for all the help and great technical info you provide to us here on the forum.!!!!!

Steve
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2016 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Motor drive voltage will be from relays with control for said relays via a DPDT center-off toggle switch and micro switches for travel limits. I've been using a DPDT toggle on my 86 GT for a long time without problems.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just done away the the problem completely and went to fixed, recessed lights I made myself and covered with lexan lenses.

These are the ones on my Ferrari kit.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
how can you see? The headlights are pointing toward the back of the car.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I see what you did there
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No those are my do it urself airbags...
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2016 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I just done away the the problem completely and went to fixed, recessed lights I made myself and covered with lexan lenses.

These are the ones on my Ferrari kit.

I thought about doing something like what you did for my Freros. My son did a similar setup on one of his MR2s; the results of which looked great, but they sucked functionally. Whereas he lost most of his close in -low beams- illumination. I suspect your setup is likewise.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No problems with mine at all. On black country roads they would light up signs 1/2 mile down the road. MUCH better than oem Fiero lights ever did. Only problem I ever ran into was driving in ice storms, the covers would ice over. I just used the under bumper driving lights in that case. Clear lenses have been over headlites for many years in Europe. US stifled anything that wasnt DOT certified. Ford GT40s, Ferraris, Porsches, Jaguars, etc...all with no problem. The headlights that ARE a problem are the US DOT and European ones on current cars that basicly turn into dim parking lights after a few years.
I just polished out a set of headlites on a Volvo that barely made a spot of light on my garage door. On the street they didnt light up more than 10' in front of it.
Francis T

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2016 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

No problems with mine at all. On black country roads they would light up signs 1/2 mile down the road. MUCH better than oem Fiero lights ever did. Only problem I ever ran into was driving in ice storms, the covers would ice over. I just used the under bumper driving lights in that case. Clear lenses have been over headlites for many years in Europe. US stifled anything that wasnt DOT certified. Ford GT40s, Ferraris, Porsches, Jaguars, etc...all with no problem. The headlights that ARE a problem are the US DOT and European ones on current cars that basicly turn into dim parking lights after a few years.
I just polished out a set of headlites on a Volvo that barely made a spot of light on my garage door. On the street they didnt light up more than 10' in front of it.

I;m glad they work for you.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2016 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
He had some flaw in his idea/ design if they didnt light very well. I drove this car as a year round daily driver for 7 years/100K...most of which had these lights. Lots of this was cross country roadtrip nitetime driving. I made much better time going from midnite to 6am.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock