Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  87 gt and 88 gt what are the differences?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
87 gt and 88 gt what are the differences? by adm927
Started on: 09-20-2016 12:46 PM
Replies: 11 (893 views)
Last post by: adm927 on 09-22-2016 11:25 AM
adm927

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the differences between the 87 and 88 fiero gt's? Is the 88 better? Or is there more stuff available for the 87 and older models? Are parts harder to find for the 88?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Primarily the differences are the suspension and brakes. 88 is better. There is more stuff available for 87. You can make an 87 handle better than a stock 88, but it will ride much worse in the process.

Some 88 parts are getting harder to find that are 88 Fiero unique, such as front wheel bearings, brake rotors, etc. There are alternatives (aftermarket wheel bearings, Cavalier rotors, etc.). I've never been unable to find parts for my 88, but in some cases I've had to look a bit harder than just going to the local parts store. With places like the Fiero Store and Rodney Dickman, many parts you can't find in auto parts stores are still available.
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gall
Thanks For the link good info in there. I am planning on installing a 3.8sc series 3 engine in it with a 3.4 pulley. Using the stock 5 speed trans with a better clutch. I will probably upgrade the booster, and some suspension stuff. Not sure what else as of yet. That is why I am trying to decide on which year to go with.
Easy8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Easy8Send a Private Message to Easy8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by adm927:

Gall
Thanks For the link good info in there. I am planning on installing a 3.8sc series 3 engine in it with a 3.4 pulley. Using the stock 5 speed trans with a better clutch. I will probably upgrade the booster, and some suspension stuff. Not sure what else as of yet. That is why I am trying to decide on which year to go with.

Biggest difference that matters to you is the cost. People will tell you the 88 is the Best fiero on the market and charge a price accordingly. If you are going to do all the work you are talking about your best bet is to go with ANY GT you can find if that is the body style you like. You are removing all the changes from the 88 to the rest of the GTs. Just remember rust is NOT your friend. There are a couple of threads on where to look before you buy. Cradle rust is a given, plan on cutting the frame to get the cradle bolts out. And one last thing, this forum lives on pictures... take lots and share em.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I may be partial to my own experience, but I think I did it the smart way. Here's what I did.

--Bought an 87 GT. I wanted a fastback and this one was clean albeit a bit weathered. I knew it would be a restoration project, so no big deal there. Mechanically it was sound with no rust or other issues.

--Bought an 88 coupe for a parts car. The engine was shot and it was in rough shape, but I used it for a parts car. After parting it out I got nearly all my money back out of it and I'm into the TWO cars (87 GT and 88 coupe) for less than I would likely be into an 88 GT alone

--With the cradle from the 88 coupe (the main reason I bought it) I built a 3800SC/F23 drop in swap. This allowed me to not only do the engine swap, but also import the superior 88 rear suspension. The requirements for the 88 cradle swap are pretty simple and very well documented.

Front suspension is the remaining issue. The 88 front suspension is also superior to the early car, though not by nearly as much of a margin as the rear. The 88 front suspension also has the critical weakness of unique front bearings that are nearly impossible to find in anythign approaching quality. I have chosen to buy the Arraut Slalom front suspension, which is superior to both the 87 and 88, as well as using the much more common REAR bearing unit up front. The tradeoff is the cost. This is a $2500 piece of kit, so you really need to decide if it's worth it for what you plan to do with the car. 87 front with 88 rear is a great daily driver from what I understand, but if you intend to race with the car, the 88 front suspension has shortcomings.
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Napoleon
Thank you for the info. Vary good info. I actually have a lead on 2 cars currently. A 1987gt, and an 88GT. They are both the same price and both decent runners. My only preference is the 87 is red which is the color I want. The 88 is white which I am not fond of. But I could paint it. Hmmm what to do what to do??
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Get the 88.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can do what I did, get the 88 and then buy drop spindles from Arraut that way you still get to use the rear wheel bearings up front and it's a lot cheaper than the slalom front end which I think I would only buy if I was building a track car.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

You can do what I did, get the 88 and then buy drop spindles from Arraut that way you still get to use the rear wheel bearings up front...

If that's what you did, then it seems to me that Arraut needs to clarify this on their website. Notice the bolded sections below. It doesn't appear to quite agree with what you've stated about the 88's.

1984-’87 FIERO

We supply a 1.5″ lowering spindle for use on the early cars (’84 -’87) with standard suspension. This unit will not work with the standard Fiero front brakes. They have been designed to utilize the significantly stronger REAR Fiero hub – and rear Fiero rotors. Your factory Fiero front calipers are retained to complete the front suspension. These are very strong fabricated uprights with larger bearings and hubs allowing you to upgrade to 12″ or 13″ brakes in the future. These drop spindles directly replace the weaker factory units (standard wheel bolt pattern is retained). Black powder coat finish is standard, though custom colors can be ordered.

For additional Front Suspension upgrades, refer to our F050 Sport Front Suspension , F051 Wide Track Sport Front Suspension or F053 Slalom Front Suspension.

1988 FIERO

Our drop spindles can be ordered to incorporate a 1″, 1.5″ or 2″ suspension drop. The 1″ model can be used with standard 15″ Fiero GT wheels, but the 1.5″ and 2″ drop models require the use of 16″ or larger diameter wheels for proper suspension/wheel rim clearance. The 2″ model is recommended only for serious performance enthusiasts. As upward travel of the wheel is limited by the close proximity of vehicle frame members, in most cases it will be necessary to increase the front spring rate, making the suspension stiffer (and of course limiting wheel travel). All three spindles utilize the original Fiero wheel bearings and hubs and will work with either the standard ’88 Fiero brakes, the 12″ or the 13″ brake upgrade. Black powder coat finish is standard, though custom colors can be ordered. Please note that a track width increase of 0.125″ can be expected when installing either the 1″ or 1.5″ drop spindles. The 2″ drop spindle does not change the track width.

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The differences between the 87 and 88 GT are so slight that unless you are road racing you won't notice much difference. The handling difference is very minimal especially if you add the rear sway bar to the 87. Regardless, most of us buy these cars for hobby use- street driving/car shows/occasional strip runs. With the 88 you are stuck trying to locate and purchase unique one year suspension/steering parts. For instance front wheel hubs and racks are near impossible to find. The 88's can go for twice the price of the 87's. IMO, they are not worth the premium price?
True collectors will disagree as it a one year model with different upholstery a few suspension upgrades and was made in small numbers. If you are buying for investment the 88 is the one but if you are buying for fun save your money.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

PFF
System Bot
adm927

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2016 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for adm927Send a Private Message to adm927Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dennis
What is the estimated HP of the Black Paralyzer? That is most of what I plan to do to my fiero. I think you did a little more than I will but it will be close. Did you do the work yourself?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock