Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  I'm repainting a 1988 GT thread (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
I'm repainting a 1988 GT thread by pastor Dennis
Started on: 07-17-2016 12:53 PM
Replies: 66 (1670 views)
Last post by: LornesGT on 08-22-2016 12:15 AM
pastor Dennis

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Gang, I painted a black 88GT I had back in 09 and I bought this one a while back and now it's time for her paint. I really haven't recovered from all the sanding on the last one ! lol
Well, here goes. In a couple weeks, she's gonna shine again !
Like I said last time - If I can do this.....anybody can.
Thanks again for all the pointers and help. You are all a great group !

(for those that remember, I got into Camaro's for just a bit - redid a 2002 SS. Planned on continuing, but Fiero's are addictive ! )

ok, here's the before pics

Dennis
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No pics showing.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

These are all before any sanding.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Here's some more that give a better illustration after buffing out the peeling clearcoat.

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Then came a really good bath followed by grease, tar, and wax removal (yuck)
Quarter window are out (new ones have arrived !)

Gas cap door, wing, and plates all removed.

Began sading / putty

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Paint looged great under where the wing was

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
After sanding with 220 twice, here's how she looks tonight after dusting her off.

I tried to feather the trunk best I could.

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2016 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i would take off the molding makes the painting process easier.
Adjustso3

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Adjustso3Send a Private Message to Adjustso3Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to paint my Fiero. Keep those pics and tips coming please. I'll be following this thread closely.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How does the door trim come off?
I see the side markers have small screws...
I was just gonna tape em off and paint. Is removing them really the better way?
thx
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pastor Dennis:

How does the door trim come off?
I see the side markers have small screws...
I was just gonna tape em off and paint. Is removing them really the better way?
thx

Removing the markers is simple ... removing the trim will be a PIA .... you will need new trim retainers as they are brittle and get destroyed when removing them ....

Danyel

------------------

Black Widow Build Thread 2007 - 2014 Tylers Toy
My Low Profile Buckets for sale My LED Sidemarkers for sale

PFF
System Bot
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well, I removed the driver's side trim and of course broke the tabs. I notice the Fiero Store sells the little white clips. I'm assuming they push in and the black door trim snaps onto them.
yeah, sounds simple !
I guess I will remove all the trim b4 painting.
tempted to by the whole car trim kit as the DS front is broken.

the battle continues
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

well, I removed the driver's side trim and of course broke the tabs. I notice the Fiero Store sells the little white clips. I'm assuming they push in and the black door trim snaps onto them.
yeah, sounds simple !
I guess I will remove all the trim b4 painting.
tempted to by the whole car trim kit as the DS front is broken.

the battle continues

If you're dead set on painting the car with the panels on, at least do yourself a big favor and remove the mirrors and the headlight doors too.

Here's how I painted my Fiero:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...130314-2-101963.html
(scroll down the page and you'll find it.)

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm assuming they push in and the black door trim snaps onto them.

I know nothing about body work or painting... but it might be the other way around. Attach them to the trim, and then push them into the holes on the panel.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sweet !
Thanks guys
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2016 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I know nothing about body work or painting... but it might be the other way around. Attach them to the trim, and then push them into the holes on the panel.

Patrick is correct here. I just reinstalled door pieces and the clips will attach to the black trim first, and then push the trim into the panels. Take a good look at the backside of the black trim pieces, the new white clips are intended to be placed very specifically within raised impressions in the moulding. Pop the clip in wrong and it will not line up. Then you're risking breakage of the new clips as you pry them back out.
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you're going to remove the belt molding (which you definitely should) you might as well order new mounting clips from TFS. They're brittle and always break.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Napoleon_Tanerite:

If you're going to remove the belt molding (which you definitely should) you might as well order new mounting clips from TFS. They're brittle and always break.

Take the inner door panels off. You can then get at the mounting clips to push them out.
But as N_T says - get some new clips as you're likely to need some.

Stripping off all the moldings off gives the best access to paint everything (as opposed to masking).

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome. Thanks guys. Definitely gonna pull all the trim and buy extra clips.

I noticed the front windshield seal has shrunk considerably. I'll post a pic later. So the plan is to cut off the outer seal, sand some more, paint, then replace the windshield.

Dennis
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2016 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
More sanding (yuck)

Goal is to putty the rock chips smooth (yes, again) and continue sanding.

Plan to prime the entire car Monday
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lotta work been done. Time to update the thread with pictures
PFF
System Bot
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Door trim coming off.

clip. (yeah, they break)

Window seal gap.

Taping for sprayed black.
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
More Sanding !!

Painted the mirrors, rain rail, engine guards, etc

Tape

I'm having way too much fun !!

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are at the fun part now.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43224 posts
Member since May 2007
Id recommend something along the lines of unscrewing the screws along the edge of the wheel wells and mask it off so you don't paint the black wheel wells.
etc.

Unless you are painting black, also the doorjams may get overspray thru the crack.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 07-26-2016).]

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did, thanks.

Getting ready for 2 coats primer...

Second coat...

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Now, I get to sand again !!

notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not bad for 9 days of work

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Another tip, double check your masking tape, it can tend to peel back and possibly get in the way, don't be afraid to put a bunch more on there.

out of curiosity are you using anything to control humidity/ dust/ bugs? Do you plan of buffing it after?
LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you pull the seal around the windshield? I wonder what the options are, do I have to remove the windshield or is the rubber seal good enough?
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks 2.5, I definitely need to redo a bit of the tape. We actually had some good weather fairly consistent even for Missouri. The garage has a large attic fan Im pulling the air thru with and we built a paint booth and vacuumed the whole garage twice. Haven't noticed any dust problems (yet) and keeping a close watch on it.
Sanding the primer is painstakingly slow, but I know I need to do this well for the overall good.
The goal is to complete the sanding Friday and shoot 2 coats of color (red 81) and 3 coats of clear Saturday

PFF
System Bot
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
I went to an auto glass place and they said to just cut out the seal. That made repairs to roof flaking a lot easier. Their new seal will be slightly larger.
I will probably go ahead and get a new windshield when it's done. Just a matter of waiting on funds
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should have removed the mirrors...
steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any news?
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2016 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sanded primer. Smooth and clean. Checked the tape, ran compressed air thru the gaps, wet down the floor and put on two coats of red (81) color followed by 3 coats of clear.
Tape comes off next. I'll post pics tomorrow. Tired but looks fantastic !
Luke

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2016 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LukeClick Here to visit Luke's HomePageSend a Private Message to LukeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No fair...suspense!!!! Lol

I haven't sprayed one yet, but last time I prepped a fiero it was going from maroon to white so I took all the panels off. Even gfx off door panels etc. I now own 4 kinds of rivet guns...lol

Watching this with interest as I plan to spray my own
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the suspense lol
It does look pretty good. I only took a few pics with the tape off and I'll post em tonight.

I will be buffing, tho, as there were some pin pricks in the clear. But it certainly does shine with 3 coats of clear.

I'll be spraying the side trim tonight. Plus I need to take off and spray the windshield wiper arms. Does this ever end? lol

As you can imagine, this has been an absolute blast. I am having loads of fun. Thanks for all your kind comments.

I"ve also got a new spintec muffler and new exhaust tips to install. and Windshield.....

pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pastor Dennis

189 posts
Member since Jul 2007
Anybody know what I did with the Gas Cap Housing screws !!
notwohorns

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2016 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Anybody know what I did with the Gas Cap Housing screws !!

You put them in that cup over there
pastor Dennis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pastor DennisClick Here to visit pastor Dennis's HomePageSend a Private Message to pastor DennisEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taped off the door and inside to spray the jamb

and did the underside of the wing
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay