Not a fan of kit cars... However. by zzzhuh
Started on: 05-16-2016 02:46 PM
Replies: 27 (821 views)
Last post by: DL10 on 05-20-2016 04:35 PM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just seen this pop up on Craigslist

I won't lie, this kit looks nice. It's easy to tell that some dedicated work went into this car, and I'll respect that.

If only he would of put that kind of work into the engine first.

What is your guys thoughts on kit cars?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every one is different.
I mean every kit car, not just people.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-16-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Just seen this pop up on Craigslist

"Super clean car built on a 32000 mile pontiac fiero platform! Paint is very nice. Has new distributer plugs wires ect just serviced runs drives great 4cyl 5speed .also new clutch assembly less than 1000 miles ago 1st of year. This was an expensive build for a kit car some parts bumpers lites badging & misc were orig Ferrari parts ! Glass& interior all very nice. Most people can't tell it's not an actual 308 it's correct size looks great&fun to drive! Titled in my name. Cash in person only no help selling. $9900"

I can never understand why people build a kit-car Ferrari with a 4-banger.

And what's with the flat-black spray paint all over the roof... including the glass sun-roof panel?

tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Lotus Elise is only a 1.8 Toyota 4banger.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And what's with the flat-black spray paint all over the roof... including the glass sun-roof panel?

To make it look like the 308 with the removeable roof, or cover up for weathered roof material or oxidiizing is my guess.

Could be plasti dip.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-16-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

The Lotus Elise is only a 1.8 Toyota 4banger.

Are you comparing a 1900 lb Lotus Eclipse to a re-bodied Fiero with a 90 HP duke?

Originally posted by 2.5:

Could be plasti dip.

Yeah, that's true. At least that stuff can be peeled off.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-16-2016).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

What is your guys thoughts on kit cars?

Most of the kits based on the Fiero I don't really care for. But the Vendetta?

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...HTML/077652.html#p15

I'll take 2 please?

Unfortunately I don't think I could afford to complete one. However, the F355 kit DeLorean00 was working on was really nice. The Mura (sp) done at Archies was gorgeous. There are good ones out there but probably as many or more bad ones.
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like kit cars, I don't like Replicas. There's a difference. See I've seen a few Lamborghini Countashes in my time at shows. Each one I get super excited for. Until I realize it's a freakin Fiero!!! I call the guy out, then he just looks really sad. He liked everyone thinking it was a real Lambo....
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2016 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

I like kit cars, I don't like Replicas. There's a difference. See I've seen a few Lamborghini Countashes in my time at shows. Each one I get super excited for. Until I realize it's a freakin Fiero!!! I call the guy out, then he just looks really sad. He liked everyone thinking it was a real Lambo....

I think that's why I like the Vendetta so much. It's obviously Lambo inspired but it isn't a replica of any Lambo made.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Great thing about the Fiero (at least, the fastbacks) is that plenty of times you get people thinking it's a Lambo or Ferrari anyway. One of the local club members here has a yellow choptop 88 GT. At one show a couple years ago, one of the volunteers at the show was told to bring something over to "the yellow Lamborghini," and it was (mistakenly of course) brought over to the Fiero, despite the bright yellow actual Lamborghini that was parked across the way a few cars down. Was a bit amusing.

And I've personally had multiple people assume my bone stock 87 GT was a Ferrari on several occasions.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by Khw:
I think that's why I like the Vendetta so much. It's obviously Lambo inspired but it isn't a replica of any Lambo made.

Looks like someone was trying to make a Murcielago out of a Gallardo, to me. Looks like it's supposed to close enough to the former to fool the well, fools, and just different enough to maybe avoid getting completely destroyed by a law suit.
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We are in Perfect 100% agreement on this one.

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2016 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welp, some do things in stages, and getting the kit on and painted, might be what they are good at, body work, but not very good at the mechanics side of it...
or gets the body done and decides to enjoy it for one season and then figures they'll get to the drive train, but find they are happy with the way it is now..
many reasons..

Would you turn your back on this car if it had a super duty in it..??
or a turbo's quad 4 or a turbo'd ecotec??

Guess you'd turn you back on most lotus cars.. or M/g's /etc
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the critiquing of kit cars I see come from guys that couldn't build a kit car if they tried.

Kevin
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK...I have dealt with quite a few Fiero based kit cars over the years to say the least.

I have seen the amazing to WTF were you thinking and what drugs were you on while doing this build.

There are a lot of factors that make a kit car a killer car...but it truly boils down to all the little details and them being done correctly.
Unfortunately a lot people who take on doing a Kit Car have bigger dreams then their pockets can afford.
So they spend a lot more money (than they expected) purchasing the body kit, having the body mounted and getting the lines done correctly.
Never-mind that there were a lot of body kits that just were never right from the start...like wheel well alignments and such things.
Then its onto the paint job...which is done correctly...is not cheap.
Now onto interior or mechanical upgrades.
But somewhere along the way, they start to make compromises to meet their budgets...this is where the problems all start!
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

Welp, some do things in stages, and getting the kit on and painted, might be what they are good at, body work, but not very good at the mechanics side of it...
or gets the body done and decides to enjoy it for one season and then figures they'll get to the drive train, but find they are happy with the way it is now..
many reasons..

I have a Kelmark GT body on an 84. It was a project some one started and got in over their head. I was planing an engine swap, however the first time I drove it changed my mind. The Duke has more than enough power to make it a fun driver. It runs smooth as glass, so why change a great running engine that has more than enough power and swap in an engine that would be a nightmare to work on with the small engine bay opening in the Kelmark.
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Go drive a 3800-SC and you will probably change your mind!

And a 3800-SC leaves enough room to work on the engine.

Originally posted by tebailey:

I have a Kelmark GT body on an 84. It was a project some one started and got in over their head. I was planing an engine swap, however the first time I drove it changed my mind. The Duke has more than enough power to make it a fun driver. It runs smooth as glass, so why change a great running engine that has more than enough power and swap in an engine that would be a nightmare to work on with the small engine bay opening in the Kelmark.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't recall seeing a super duty or a turbo quad 4 or a turbo'd ecotec mentioned in this car's description.

It has a 90 HP duke in it.

For $9,900... yes, I'd turn my back on a car with a duke in it.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2016 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I don't recall seeing a super duty or a turbo quad 4 or a turbo'd ecotec mentioned in this car's description.

It has a 90 HP duke in it.

For $9,900... yes, I'd turn my back on a car with a duke in it.

That is not what I asked, but I didn't expect you to answer the question as asked.. did you even read what you quoted..lol

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 05-18-2016).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

... budgets...this is where the problems all start!

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-18-2016 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:

Go drive a 3800-SC and you will probably change your mind!

And a 3800-SC leaves enough room to work on the engine.

I think if I ever get a wide body for my INDY.. I'd like to make the rear clip come off in one piece..

the 3800s/c is easy to work on if you have a lift.. or are used to todays v6 cars.. then you think you have miles of room..
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is not what I asked, but I didn't expect you to answer the question as asked.. did you even read what you quoted..lol

It's against my better judgement to read (and respond to) your posts in the first place... but okay, here's a more thorough response.

Taking my entire quote into context... yes, I'd "turn my back" on a kit-car Ferrari with any 4-banger in it... especially a 90 HP duke.

No, not at all. I'm currently looking at possibly buying a Subaru WRX/STI for autocross use. The last time I checked, they came with four cylinder engines.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-18-2016).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Only 3% of kit cars ever get completed. Most people underestimate the cost and effort it takes. But kits put together by people passionate about the build are often amazing....real or not. A car doesn't have to be authentic for it to be fun to drive and turn heads.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2016 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Only 3% of kit cars ever get completed. Most people underestimate the cost and effort it takes. But kits put together by people passionate about the build are often amazing....real or not. A car doesn't have to be authentic for it to be fun to drive and turn heads.

Mine sat in a warehouse for 10yrs before the PO sold it to me. Judging by what was done he definitely under estimated the effort and over estimated his mechanical ability.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree about the 90 hp duke in a lambo kit. I went for 640 hp in order to equal the lambo. The 300 hp stock ls4 is way more than adequate though.
I FAR I

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I FAR ISend a Private Message to I FAR IEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You get 'super excited' about the car and then delight in busting someone's balls because it's a Fiero, then you ass-ume that they are 'sad' and 'liked everyone thinking it was a real Lambo'....Hmmmm, the car may not have been a 'real Lambo', but YOU are without a doubt what is commonly known as -- a real a**hole!
TXOPIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2016 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I agree about the 90 hp duke in a lambo kit. I went for 640 hp in order to equal the lambo. The 300 hp stock ls4 is way more than adequate though.

What about retro-fitting one of these babies in one:

https://www.facebook.com/Pl...osts/848568155195727
DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2016 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own a replica thats not really a kit car as there was never a kit you could by to build one. I didn't build it but it was built by one man in his garage. He hand carved the plugs, made molds, made all of the fiberglass panel, built and painted the car.. He did build 3 cars two of which have been wrecked so mine is the only Fiero based car that looks like it. It still has the V-6 in it... Everything not about speed and it's a great running quiet fun car to drive.. not like the LT1 powered car I own which is loud, rough riding and really only fun if you drive it fast....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock