Curiosity; Pothole destroying engine? by Phirewire
Started on: 05-14-2016 10:25 PM
Replies: 8 (293 views)
Last post by: mr_corean on 05-16-2016 09:12 PM
Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, this is a curiosity for me as it may have just happened. Tonight 5/14 I went out to Pepboys with the misses to get an RCA cable and look for tires for my new wheels. They ended up being close but in the next plaza there is a Auto-Zone. We headed over there while leaving the parking lot caught a massive pothole. No big deal everything seemed fine, journey on across the road. Parked and noticed temp gauge was higher than normal. Either way Turned the car off and ran inside. When I came back out started her up (was only in store 2 minutes or so) went to leave the lot to a nice big Bang and car jerk. Car stayed in gear and it kept going but pulled over in next lot to check. Noticed fluid pouring out. Assuming oil. (Here is the dumb part I understand it was stupid) drove the car 5 minutes down the road home and nursed it to a private lot to keep over night and walked another 10 minutes to my house for my truck.

Decided to go see what happened as it made no sense, I just got back from vacation in florida, and 2 weeks ago the oil was changed. First stop I check was pepboys to look at the size of potholes, and its a good 6 inch deep / 7 inch deep pothole which could easily fit a 14' tire all the way inside it. Its filled with water aswell so hardly noticeable at night, also has within 5 ft 2 other large potholes. No sign of oil here though. (assuming due to it being wet still) Then I checked AutoZone, and found a decent puddle of oil where i parked. AHA. and then the final straw i checked where I had the bang and there she lays a nice murder scene and a chunk of engine.

This all seems wierd to me as I belive the cradle should have taken the impact not? Either way not sure if this is a thing or but am curious.

LONG STORY SHORT.
hit pothole minutes later engine blew up. Not sure how it could happen .

Also car isn't lowered. it is on stock 14's.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What was the 'chunk'?.....part of the oil pan?
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

hit pothole minutes later engine blew up. Not sure how it could happen .

Aliens!!!

Phirewire

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhirewireSend a Private Message to PhirewireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

What was the 'chunk'?.....part of the oil pan?

Looks to be part of block. Pan looks scratched though

Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car lost a Northstar to a pothole. Took out the pan and a chunk out of the crankshaft.

------------------

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if you can claim that on your insurance. I hit something with my first svx and the trans locked up and they replaced the trans for me.

------------------
2006 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
Fieronews Shifter boots

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phirewire:

Looks to be part of block. Pan looks scratched though

The block is cast iron. It's sitting up too high to be affected by a pothole. It's more likely it threw a rod. If the oil pan isn't caved in, it being the lowest point on the engine, it was just time for the engine to retire. If the pan is badly damaged then there is a possibility of oil starvation, resulting in a thrown rod.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2016 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is my guess. Pothole or big bump caused oil pan to rupture. All the oil came out. You dove it without oil, end of story. As stated the block is above the cradle so it is unlikely that something from below broke the block.
The good news is that stock engines in Fieros can be changed by most backyard mechanics, enthusiasts and some repair shops. Start looking for a good running 4 or V6. If you are looking for a low mileage 2.8L V6 we have one here with I believe 79K miles. Its complete (less the harness) for $200.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

mr_corean

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2016 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mr_coreanSend a Private Message to mr_coreanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

I wonder if you can claim that on your insurance. I hit something with my first svx and the trans locked up and they replaced the trans for me.

This! I had a TBSS with the intake down low, sucked up some water from a puddle and hydrolocked the motor. Insurance covered a new LS build for $8k under the collision clause. Only issue is if they decide the motor cost wouldn't be worth it and would want to total your Fiero.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock