Opinions needed on Formula purchase by railshot
Started on: 04-30-2016 10:50 AM
Replies: 13 (396 views)
Last post by: TK on 05-05-2016 12:34 AM
railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Good morning all.
First of all a huge thanks to everyone that has sent me GT's to buy in my wanted thread in the mall.

This is not an easy thing for me to decide (my wife thinks I am nuts, and I just may be).

I have a quick question about a decision I need to make this weekend.

I have found 2 Formula's fairly close to me that would not need shipping ($$$) and I could pick up and drive home.
One is an automatic, and the other is a 5 speed.
Both are within 10,000 miles of each other, 95,000 and 105,000

One I know has some trunk rust, but it is not horrible (judging by the pictures I was sent) and rather fixable from what I can see (the 5 speed).
The other I am still not sure about, but it looks pretty good and is the lower mileage one.

Trunk rust looks like this......

And this......

My question is, by anyone's past experience, can you tell how extensive the rust is and just how "fixable" it is by the pictures.
I know I should probably walk away from the rust, but around here it is all you see.

If the other one has the same rust, I do believe the 5 speed would be the best buy for me, even though my knees may not like it that much.
Old age and time have taken their toll, but I really do miss shifting even though it hurts.

Almost a $1000 difference in price, and as far as paint and interior, they are almost twins.

Anyone feel free to chime in!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One of mine had less rust than that In the he trunk, but the cancer was all inside the cradle too. Very sad.
Looks fixable/treatable, but it's hard to tell the extent just by those pics. Would be good to get some pics underneath...

Hope the other one is in better condition.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TheDigitalAlchemist:

One of mine had less rust than that In the he trunk, but the cancer was all inside the cradle too. Very sad.
Looks fixable/treatable, but it's hard to tell the extent just by those pics. Would be good to get some pics underneath...

Hope the other one is in better condition.

Thanks for the input, I am worried about the frame rails and cradle also.
The car is a 3 hour drive from me, and I am hoping to get more feedback before I take the trip.

Great suggestion on getting some underneath pics from the guy.
I will ask for that before I make the trip.
I am buying a Fiero this week by hook or by crook!

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two deal breakers for me is rust and paint. You never get your money back for any fixes. Look for a car with no rust and good paint or walk.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 05-01-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2016 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Two deal breakers for me is rust and paint. You never get our money back for any fixes. Look for a car with no rust and good paint or walk.

I am seriously leaning in that direction.
It is almost impossible to find a zero rust car around here that is less than 5 or 6 years old, let alone a 28 year old car.
sigh......
Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

It is almost impossible to find a zero rust car around here that is less than 5 or 6 years old, let alone a 28 year old car.
sigh......

It's the same around here. The DOT here rivals Ramen noodles for amount of salt used. I just kept an eye out on craigslist and eventually the right car popped up within driving distance that claimed "rust free" and wasn't lying. It's hard to be patient, but you'll find the right one.
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

It's the same around here. The DOT here rivals Ramen noodles for amount of salt used. I just kept an eye out on craigslist and eventually the right car popped up within driving distance that claimed "rust free" and wasn't lying. It's hard to be patient, but you'll find the right one.

I am still hoping to find that special one.
I looked at an '87 GT yesterday in McHenry Illinois..... 73,000 original and Carfax verified miles.
Open the trunk and it had a 1" hole on the drivers side, and rust crumbs on the passenger side.
Sad too, because the rest of the car was nice.

One more to look at next week. Seller just told me there was no rust in the trunk...... fingers crossed!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hope you find the right one. My hunt has lead me to one but it needs work. I have a person that might buy my SVX coming by on tuesday then I will have the funds to get it. Worried about rust however.

------------------
1992 SVX LS-L
2006 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger
2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
Fieronews Shifter boots

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I fixed the typical rusted out trunk side floors in my '84 SE in Oct 2004 at 261,000 kilometers (162,000 miles).
They're still good now at 371,000 kilometers (230,000 miles), but I don't imagine there's much left of the rails...
I haven't taken the inner fender liners out to see what's left - I suspect that would be followed by the rear clip etc. to reconstruct.

Since it's not likely permissible by the seller, inner fender removal may have to be deferred until after purchase.
You can, however, reach up in the wheel well to check the wall of the strut tower box nearest the tire.
If it's solid, the other hidden structural stuff may well be ok.

luvfierosforever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvfierosforeverSend a Private Message to luvfierosforeverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My concern would also be, what is the cradle like? I live in Metro Detroit, so I live with the salt too. I bought my 88 GT knowing the trailing arm bracket was rusted out. What I didn't know was how hard securing a 88 specific cradle would be and the sticker shock to go with it. In the end, I was very fortunate and found someone in state to work with. If you are looking at rusty Formulas, they are 88s and you might very well find yourself in the same boat. I wish you the best in your search.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by railshot:

I am buying a Fiero this week by hook or by crook!

Be careful and take your time, its more annoying to find out you overpaid for something really expensive to fix, than to wait for the right car.
PFF
System Bot
railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Be careful and take your time, its more annoying to find out you overpaid for something really expensive to fix, than to wait for the right car.

That is the better option, and...... mother nature, time, and an active lifestyle has made a decision for me.

Yesterday I blew out my left knee and Achilles tendon on my clutch leg.
My little Shih-Tzu (my best bud, Buddy) and I had a race........ he won!
You would think I would learn, this is the second time I have done this with him, and the 2nd time he won and I lost big time.
Hehehe,

Looks like I may be an automatic guy from here on out.

[This message has been edited by railshot (edited 05-02-2016).]

railshot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2016 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for the feed back and opinions.

Last night I agreed to purchase wolfwolf's 88 t-top and I am excited as heck.

Won't be available for a week or so........ man, this is cruel and unusual punishment.
Like a kid on Christmas eve.. not much sleep for me until it is in my drive.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2016 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool! Post some pics when you can. Patience is a virtue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock