Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Has anyone done a side exit exhaust through the side scoop? (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Has anyone done a side exit exhaust through the side scoop? by doublec4
Started on: 04-18-2016 11:21 PM
Replies: 57 (1770 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 06-08-2016 08:51 AM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2016 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've seen a side exit exhaust under the rocker panel... I've seen it through the side of the rear bumper, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone route their exhaust through the little panel behind the driver or passenger door?

I was going to just unveil mine when I've finished it, but it's still in the works right now. I figured in the mean time I would ask if anyone else has seen it on a Fiero?

I was inspired by the Audi TT clubsport:

I've eliminated my crossover on the rear side. This manifold will be routed downwards towards the passenger side and pass through the "hump" in the cradle towards the front of the car.

Turned down the Plog on the front side:

which will be routed back 180 degrees towards the passenger side of the vehicle where it will merge with rear bank just ahead of the clearance hump in the cradle... using this:

And from there it will pass over the cradle to the rear of the passenger side front cradle mount... and up and out of the side scoop on the passenger side if all goes as planned. I will be running only 2 bullet style resonators...

I have quite a bit more welding to do as this is the first time I'm TIG welding a full exhaust.

------------------

Check out my build and my website!
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000100.html
Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-18-2016).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone route their exhaust through the little panel behind the driver or passenger door?

I'd remember that if I'd ever seen it here... and I haven't.

How are you planning to limit the exhaust heat from affecting the panel? What kind of a "buffer" would be used?
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To each their own, I guess. But... Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Especially at risk of damaging the very nice fiberglass scoops, if this is for the car in your signature. If you insist, I would be incorporating flex pipes any way and where possible... Keep rags handy to clean soot from the body on a regular basis too. I personally would prefer to make scoops functional for air induction as opposed to exhaust routing. Unless there are lots of skirts to send blowing upwards on your local sidewalks....
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I really wanted to do a side exhaust with my 3800 turbo. But there's just not much room, I still need to figure something out. I wonder how it would look coming out of the decklid
FIEROPHREK

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROPHREKSend a Private Message to FIEROPHREKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fieroline chumpcar team runs a side exit exhaust.

Check out their build here
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090366.html

------------------

ARCHIES JUNK IS FASTER THAN SHAUNNA'S JUNK

12.3 is faster than a 13.2

Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would strongly recommend against this idea because of the location of the fuel filler.

edit: Track cars are something different, but your average gas station would make this idea dangerous for a street car.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-19-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm not visualizing this right maybe. How close is it to the fuel filter?

I like to see engine-uity
Do crazy stuff.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mufflers? Cat? I can't imagine there is much room in there.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I would strongly recommend against this idea because of the location of the fuel filler.

edit: Track cars are something different, but your average gas station would make this idea dangerous for a street car.

Umm,

"And from there it will pass over the cradle to the rear of the passenger side front cradle mount... and up and out of the side scoop on the passenger side if all goes as planned."

I suppose his car might be right hand drive? His build thread would suggest otherwise though.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 04-19-2016).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Umm,

"And from there it will pass over the cradle to the rear of the passenger side front cradle mount... and up and out of the side scoop on the passenger side if all goes as planned."

I suppose his car might be right hand drive? His build thread would suggest otherwise though.

You are right! I did not read that part. The whole thing to the passenger side? hummm. The only side scoop I know about is on the driver's side....

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thought you said "fuel filter".

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 04-19-2016).]

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hard to describe the routing with minimal pictures and mostly words...

To address the questions..

I have aftermarket (Fiero warehouse) scoops as seen in my signature. The opening is enough to get a 3" exhaust tip through the mesh. I will protect the back side of the fiberglass scoops with some kind of heat shield / lava mat. Someone on this forum recently used it on their firewall.

It will be a single exit on the passenger side to keep things somewhat simple and to avoid a hot exhaust pipe near the fuel filler neck / spout on the driver side.

The exhaust won't be any closer to the fuel filter than it previously was when my front manifold was a 3.8 mustang manifold routed towards the passenger side and towards the back of the car through the cradle hump. I may even use exhaust wrap to address the heat issue if it comes close to anything heat sensitive. I can also easily build stainless heat shields. I will be making a heat shield blanket for my starter motor/solenoid as well.

I expect the soot on the rear of the side scoop panel. I may stick the exhaust out an inch or two to avoid the exhaust getting backwashed onto the scoop if possible.

------------------

Embrace Racing

[This message has been edited by doublec4 (edited 04-19-2016).]

solotwo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87-88's have the fuel expansion tank on that side with vapor lines in that area
Napoleon_Tanerite

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Napoleon_TaneriteSend a Private Message to Napoleon_TaneriteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This looks like it would be a mess with exhaust stains down the side of the car for no benefit.
busa_powered

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2016 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for busa_poweredSend a Private Message to busa_poweredEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROPHREK:

The Fieroline chumpcar team runs a side exit exhaust.

Check out their build here
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/090366.html

Don't mean to thread hijack but what is your signature line all about???

IanT720

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by busa_powered:
Don't mean to thread hijack but what is your signature line all about???

lol this guy Shaun really and I mean really hates V8 Fieros especially "Archie" built V8 cars. Archie runs a shop, but this guy Shaun just blats every V8 Fiero on Youtube. Its funny..
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The late Chris Munson did one, it was loud and "melted" the area around the exhaust hole. His came out in the rocker panel area in front of the rear tires.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We'll see where the project goes I guess. I'm going to try and make it work for the sake of doing something fairly unique. I have to reroute one of my coolant hoses for this to work. The only other thing nearby that I am concerned with is the brake line that is routed directly under the rear frame member. I might have to just put a little heat shield below it. Other than that I removed the wheel well and there is nothing else heat sensitive or in the way of where I plan to route the exhaust.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya I was going to say I am pretty sure it would melt your plastic side panel. That race car has a piece of aluminum for the side piece.
WhiteLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2016 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteLightningSend a Private Message to WhiteLightningEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WhiteLightning

59 posts
Member since Jun 2015
Lol. I just thought of something funny. Why stop there? You can be like those diesel truck guys & run your exhaust out your deck lid louvers behind back window. One on each side. It will look like those stacks they put on those trucks. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything because now somebody some where with a Fiero will do it. :-)
PFF
System Bot
Bridgetown

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure there was a car from West Coast Fiero running side exit exhaust. I think it was a turbo Alero V8. I think the user was "bigred" or something along those lines.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bridgetown:

I'm pretty sure there was a car from West Coast Fiero running side exit exhaust. I think it was a turbo Alero V8. I think the user was "bigred" or something along those lines.

I suspect you're thinking of This.
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect you're thinking of This.

Thats the one!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2016 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

The late Chris Munson did one, it was loud and "melted" the area around the exhaust hole. His came out in the rocker panel area in front of the rear tires.

I remember it at RFTH. He was running a Quad 4, wasn't he? I thought he had moved it to exit below the rocker at that time. Maybe because of the melting problem?
fireboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

We'll see where the project goes I guess. I'm going to try and make it work for the sake of doing something fairly unique..

I know a cool project you would be great at,think there will be a market for it...PM me if you want a cool challenge..
Bridgetown

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BridgetownSend a Private Message to BridgetownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dig it. I say go for it!
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know you made a controlled carbon fiber wing so if you want a change it up a bit, make your own quarter panels or simply skin the ones you already have and incorporate carbon fiber all the way up to the sail panels. Similar to the R8:

I think black carbon fiber would complement the red of your car.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2016 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Progress!

Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your exhaust work looks great. But I'm not sure why you want to come out the side.
fireboss

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2016 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for firebossSend a Private Message to firebossEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
guess he is one of those people that just like to step outside that dang box
PFF
System Bot
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2016 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, still thinking outside the box here

Great progress today...

It's always a beautiful thing when 2 become 1..

Front side:

Rear side:

Had to enlist the help of a third hand while I tacked together:

United as one...

Fit is bang on... the next step will be creating the second part of the exhaust that will mate with the V-band and exit out the side scoop. I won't be able to start that until I have the cradle back in the car. In the meantime I have to reroute a coolant tube, make a few heat shields and sort some other small details out to make this work.

------------------

Embrace Racing

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2016 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I will be running only 2 bullet style resonators...

Good gawd, that thing is going to be loud!

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2016 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To most people's horror, it's still happening

Almost there!

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could wrap the pipe to keep the heat from radiating much until it exits. Could even go overkill and wrap it with some kind of insulation as it gets near the exit.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
You know what'd be cool, cutouts so you could divert it out back on command.

I wish I had your welding skills.
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Cannot find a pic, at the moment bud didn't the owner of WCF do a side exhaust on his turbo v8? I remember it also exited on the passenger side...

Thanx,

Air-eek
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-25-2016 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How are you going to keep air from being forced into the exhaust?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pavo_roddy:

...didn't the owner of WCF do a side exhaust on his turbo v8? I remember it also exited on the passenger side...

Are you thinking of This one?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-25-2016).]

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2016 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it will be cool! What tig welder do you have? I've been thinking of getting one for my setup. Already have a Miller mig and Hobart plasma cutter.

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors