Started on: 03-28-2016 05:11 PM
Replies: 35 (1061 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 04-05-2017 08:10 PM
Raydar

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 455
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's an 88 Western Edition coupe. Comes with tilt, delay, and air, and not much else.
Has 153 K on the odo, and drives about like you'd expect a 150K base coupe to drive. (It pretty much wallows.)
The headlight motors need rebuilt, the parking brakes need adjustment, it has the usual "Duke drip", and the fuel pump sounds like a Cessna.
But it's mechanically quiet. No funny sounds. Clutch is good. Shifts like buttah!

Now the fun begins...

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Western Edition"??????
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 446
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

"Western Edition" ??????

Must be West Atlanta.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Must be West Atlanta.

Yeah. THAT'S it.

Actually, it was an option on 88 coupes, available only in western states. (This one came from Nevada. Originally from California.)
The package includes a wing, and body colored rockers and lower rear fascia. (They only came in red or white.)
Even has its own RPO code - which is present on mine - W02.

Not that it makes the car much - or any - more valuable. Just an uncommon option.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/131233.html

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-28-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Yeah. THAT'S it.

Actually, it was an option on 88 coupes, available only in western states. (This one came from Nevada. Originally from California.)
The package includes a wing, and body colored rockers and lower rear fascia. (They only came in red or white.)
Even has its own RPO code - which is present on mine - WO2.

Not that it makes the car much - or any - more valuable. Just an uncommon option.

Huh, interesting. I never knew that. I like the body-color rockers.

Must be West Atlanta.

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

Huh, interesting. I never knew that. I like the body-color rockers.

I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do with the rockers. The left one is all scuffed up.
The rear valence looks bad, though. It really calls attention to the gap where the right pipe would be on a Formula. But I've got a fix for that.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do with the rockers. The left one is all scuffed up.

I never liked the look of black rockers (and/or of black aero trim) on Fieros, so I painted the rockers on my red Formula silver/aluminum to match the wheels. Don't know about on a white Fiero, but I like this look on a red one. Compared to how the car looked with black rockers, from the side the Formula now looks "lower".

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2016).]

ARFiero

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARFieroClick Here to Email ARFieroSend a Private Message to ARFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great...love the hard-top.

Shelby
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderClick Here to Email Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's a great looking car. What changes do you plan to make?
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Quad Raider:

That's a great looking car. What changes do you plan to make?

Thanks!
Got to tighten up the suspension a bit. Have a 12" brake kit under my bench. Have a set of 17s in the back room.
Need to touch up the cosmetics (the paint is mostly really good) and replace some interior pieces and maybe install GT gauges. Need to fix a few things to make it driveable and reliable.
I've been given "dibs" on an Indy exhaust system that a friend is getting as part of a pile of spare parts. (He will have two others to choose from.)

Future plans include an LZ9 or LFX swap (it's specifically why I was looking for a car) through a Beretta Getrag, or maybe an F23. I'm leaning toward the Getrag. I have one in my 4.9 car, and really like it. (There is another LFX thread in "tech". It's got me thinking.)
I really hate to remove the Isuzu, though. It shifts like butter. Although, with either of those engines, it would probably remove itself, in fairly short order.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaClick Here to Email Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah. THAT'S it.

Even has its own RPO code - which is present on mine - W02.

What?? Never heard of that. I believe it only because it you saying it I like white coupes. Nice project.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I heard about it several years ago - probably from the thread I linked - and then promptly forgot about it.
When I saw this one, it reminded me...
Thunderstruck GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

What?? Never heard of that. I believe it only because it you saying it

Absolutely!

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2016 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update...
The suspension rebuild is essentially completed. SensaTracs on all four corners. New lower ball joints. Poly everywhere except the sway bars and trailing links.
Also did the Corvette brake rotors on the front. Still have to do the rear, and tighten up the parking brake, but that's not a big deal.
All the strange thumps and tail wagging are essentially gone. It still needs an alignment, but that's just "a thing".
I have a rear sway bar, but apparently a lot of the "fast" builders are doing without. Haven't made up my mind. We shall see...
Also added my spare set of 17s.
Next I need to address some minor cosmetics, and swap in the V6 gauge setup I acquired.

FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Click Here to Email FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great!

------------------

88 Coupe: 2.0L Turbo 4 Cylinder, W2A, T25 Turbo, water/meth injection
84 Indy #64: Restoration Project
01 BMW 525i: daily driver

Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasClick Here to Email Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good looking car you have there.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT T-Top
2003 BMW 330I
2009 Dodge Charger

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover

railshot

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2016 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for railshotClick Here to visit railshot's HomePageClick Here to Email railshotSend a Private Message to railshotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice!
Those rims really did change the look alot!
White..... purrrrdy.
Keep going Raydar, I am pullin fer ya.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 06:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks y'all.

Next is the right side coolant tube. Smashed in the usual place.
It hasn't overheated yet, but I'm really surprised.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2016 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks y'all.

Next is the right side coolant tube. Smashed in the usual place.
It hasn't overheated yet, but I'm really surprised.

borrow a body shop stud gun that welds nails on a panel to pull it out with a slide hammer, then heat the tube and pull it back out to round
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2016 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 07-26-2016).]

Fiero 88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero 88Click Here to Email Fiero 88Send a Private Message to Fiero 88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good. I really like that style of wheel. I've become quite fond of white on these cars. That's probably what my bright red will become when I get around to paint.
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2016 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ed. I have another tube that's significantly less "smushed" than this one. I'll probably just tweak it a bit and then swap it out.
I may recycle the other one though. i know someone else who has an 88 who needs one.

Originally posted by Fiero 88:

Looks good. I really like that style of wheel. I've become quite fond of white on these cars. That's probably what my bright red will become when I get around to paint.

Bright red looks great on a Fiero. But I don't need another ticket magnet vehicle.
I went 15+ years without a ticket, and then bought a red Silverado. BAM! <grumble>

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-26-2016).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Poly everywhere except the sway bars and trailing links.

Do you plan to put poly on the sway bars? That's the first place I put it on most cars.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2016 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Do you plan to put poly on the sway bars? That's the first place I put it on most cars.

It's a thought. I don't have poly on my other car's sway bars either.

I'm not going to put poly on the sways on this car, unless I add the rear bar. Based upon "conventional wisdom" tightening up just the front would bias the car towards more understeer. My 17s are already biased in that direction (narrower fronts) anyway. That is, compared to stock.
ITR SOL

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-28-2016 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITR SOLSend a Private Message to ITR SOLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This the same kind of Western Edition?

http://dallas.craigslist.or.../cto/5687144829.html
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have a rear sway bar, but apparently a lot of the "fast" builders are doing without.

Interesting.

So... the "fast" builders are removing rear sway bars from '88 GTs and Formulas?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-28-2016).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out Steven Snyder's 88 notchie track car.
Everything I've seen leads me to believe that it's quite well sorted. Unless I'm badly mistaken, he isn't running a rear bar. (He's invested a lot of time and money getting it "right". - Tubular control arms and fieroguru's camber correction kit immediately come to mind. - I have to assume that the absence of a rear bar is not based upon financial considerations.)

Not like this car will ever be anywhere near that. I don't intend it to be. Just that the "rear bar" thing is not cast in stone.
I'm in no hurry. I'll probably play with it both ways.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-28-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Check out Steven Snyder's 88 notchie track car.
Everything I've seen leads me to believe that it's quite well sorted. Unless I'm badly mistaken, he isn't running a rear bar. (He's invested a lot of time and money getting it "right". - Tubular control arms and fieroguru's camber correction kit immediately come to mind. - I have to assume that the absence of a rear bar is not based upon financial considerations.)

I certainly have respect for Steven's Fiero. I suspect he's accomplished through other means what a rear sway bar more or less does, but this is well beyond my knowledge level.

Are there any other track driven '88 Fieros of this caliber you're aware of here at PFF that have also dispensed with the rear sway bar?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-08-2017).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I certainly have respect for Steven's Fiero. I suspect he's accomplished though other means what a rear sway bar more or less does, but this is well beyond my knowledge level.

And mine as well, but it's always fun to speculate.

Are there any other track driven '88 Fieros of this caliber you're aware of here at PFF that have also dispensed with the rear sway bar?

Not as far as I know. But it appears that the cradle has to at least drop down in order to add the bar, anyway, so it's not going to happen quickly, either way.
It's way down the list.

An observation...
The base coupe has four matched tires, and no rear bar. The GTs and Formulas have staggered tire sizes, and a bar.
I won't go so far as to suppose that's all there is to it, but on the face of it, it would seem to make sense.

I wonder what size tires Steven is running, front to rear.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 07-28-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it appears that the cradle has to at least drop down in order to add the bar

Nope!

The reason I'm so sure of myself is that I pulled a rear sway bar off an '88 GT at a wrecking yard. It was tricky, it reminded me of one of those Chinese ring puzzles to get it out... but it can be done!
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes. But did you then install it on your car, without dropping the cradle, or breaking anything?
What has to come off? I'm guessing the struts are in the way.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2016 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes. But did you then install it on your car, without dropping the cradle, or breaking anything?

I grabbed the rear sway bar (and mounts) to compliment an extra cradle I had earlier salvaged from an '88 coupe parts car... so I haven't had to install it.

What has to come off? I'm guessing the struts are in the way.

This was three years ago... but if I remember correctly, it was just the struts that may have been necessary to remove. I didn't need to force or damage anything getting it out, so I suspect to install it would be the same in reverse order.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 07-28-2016).]

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2016 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To address the sway bar topic...
With one strut removed from my coupe, I almost could have tossed the sway bar through the car, and had it fall into place. Took only a couple of minutes, and I was being really careful not to damage the CV boots.
It may have even been possible with both struts in place, but the right one was still off the car from some other stuff I was doing.
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2017 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ran a quick compression test on the old Duke, this weekend.

1 - 140
2 - 135
3 - 142
4 - 135

Test was run dry, with a cold engine. All plugs removed, and the throttle blocked open. (Well... dry, not counting however much Liquid Wrench dripped in, from when I removed the spark plugs.)
All in all, I was happy.

Still strange that it still doesn't have enough compression to stop it from trying to roll down my driveway, unless the parking brake is on.
KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2017 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroClick Here to Email KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

New lower ball joints.

Did you do lowering ball joints? Or just replace the ball joints?
How did you lower it if not with ball joints? Just curious. That doesn't look like the stock height in the front.
if you used lowering ball joints, did you have issues with the corvette rotors interfering with the lower control arm?

I'm lovin the white.

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2017 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarClick Here to Email RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just replaced the ball joints with stock height (Rodney's) pieces.
The front springs were cut by one turn. (I also installed front springs in the rear, also cut by one turn. Had to have a sleeve welded to the "hats" to keep them centered.)
I've got 12" C4 brakes. I had to "dress" the tips of the control arms, for the rotor interference issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock