JUMP ! In here, need advice by robert1234
Started on: 03-16-2016 06:54 PM
Replies: 15 (282 views)
Last post by: css9450 on 03-18-2016 10:46 AM
robert1234

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry everyone,,,,,
But I'm finally checking out my exhaust leak on my 88 Formula

The leak if from a rusted off bolt on the front manifold (yes near window).

What are my options since the others are not good but there ?

Pull the engine ?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're already aware of the jig required. I had a couple of broken exhaust manifold bolts in my '86 GT on the back window side of the engine. Not a pleasant repair to tackle. I eventually tipped the back of the cradle down to give me enough room to get a right-angle drill in there. It's a b*tch of a job.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2016).]

Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp............

If it were me, I'd pull the intake and heads. Others probably would/will argue my way of thinking but you are going to have a nightmare on your hands if you try to do it on the car.

The other advantage to pulling the heads is you can do both manifolds, clean the heads & upper end and reseal the whole upper end. Which on an older engine really isn't a bad idea.

I'm betting you're going to have the same amount of time invested doing it either way and my way will make the engine better.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Thunderstruck GT:

I'm betting you're going to have the same amount of time invested doing it either way and my way will make the engine better.

My way builds character.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pulled the other manifold two months ago and replaced the gasket on it, now the front one is leaking ...uuuuhhh

I have the drill guide, drill bit and out bit already.
Thunderstruck GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Thunderstruck GTSend a Private Message to Thunderstruck GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

My way builds character.

But.... We own Fieros

Doesn't that make us all "characters"?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But.... We own Fieros
Doesn't that make us all "characters"?

Touché.
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I picked option "C". Pull the engine. Replace with a 3800. Less aggravating, more rewarding.
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the engine tilter...here

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-2-095333.html
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

robert1234

461 posts
Member since Oct 2015
Id love to replace with a 3800, but need the cash for other things right now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by robert1234:

What about the engine tilter... here

Although I had even posted in that old thread about the engine tilter, I chose to tilt the cradle when I drilled out my broken exhaust manifold bolts. I don't know for sure, but it seemed to me at the time that tilting the cradle would give more room to work.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2016).]

PFF
System Bot
robert1234

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2016 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for robert1234Send a Private Message to robert1234Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Pat
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2016 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just drop the cradle. In my 2 car garage with a floor jack and limited tools I can drop it in 1 hour usually. Much easier than messing with removing the heads in the car.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2016 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IanT720:

Just drop the cradle. In my 2 car garage with a floor jack and limited tools I can drop it in 1 hour usually. Much easier than messing with removing the heads in the car.

Plus you can degrease and clean and paint everything up nice in the bay while you are at it.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2016 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup, pulled the heads. I tried drilling out the broken bolt(S) and also tried welding a nut to them. No go. Took heads to a machine shop and they were able to take care if it. They said they can do this much quicker and I have to agree.

I didn't mess with the rockers and lifter adjustment. I bought a tool to compress lifter and remove rods. Wasn't bad at all.

Replace the bolts with studs and nuts.

Welp............

If it were me, I'd pull the intake and heads. Others probably would/will argue my way of thinking but you are going to have a nightmare on your hands if you try to do it on the car.

The other advantage to pulling the heads is you can do both manifolds, clean the heads & upper end and reseal the whole upper end. Which on an older engine really isn't a bad idea.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2016 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've long ago resigned myself to pulling the head(s) if I ever have to face this chore.

I've never dropped a cradle so maybe I am unawares if that is in fact easier.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock