Engine cradle tilt by The Poopsmith
Started on: 10-03-2008 03:56 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: leppy_89 on 10-11-2008 06:23 PM
The Poopsmith

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I know this had been covered before but I can't find any info on it probably because I'm not using the correct wording to call up the posts on tilting the cradle.

Here is my issue. My valve cover closest to the firewall started leaking oil after I did a bunch of work to the top end and even after I completely replaced the valve cover gaskets. I now know that I should have used a better gasket and a high temp silicone but I really need to get a better angle at what I'm working on and am looking for info on tilting the cradle. Thanks for any help

Daniel
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroDirect Link to This Post
Remove one bolt from the dog bone

Use a floor jack to support the cradle at the rear .

loosen the 2 bolts which hold the crade in the up position

.....lower jack ....

this will pivot cradle a few degrees to gain access to the 246 head
Removing Deck lid may just give you enough room to get to the points you want...

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 10-03-2008).]

Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
I have many bent coolant lines onmy cars from previous owners. I would disconnect the lower hoses before tilting the motor.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything else I should disconnect?

Will tilting the cradle do any damage to the axles or any part of the rear wheel hub?

About how many degree of tilt will I be able to get or is it really worth it?

Thank you for the replies.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroDirect Link to This Post
Have you removed the deck lid to get better access to the valve covers...... How did you get them off originally?

85-88 V6 VALVE COVER GASKET SET
Genuine Fel-Pro Gaskets. FS Part #52740
Price:$19.95

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

[This message has been edited by NW-Fiero (edited 10-03-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Frankly there is no need, if you have the upper and middle intake off, you have plenty of room to work, but other than the extra work, it wont hurt anything, unless you break the rear cradle bolts loose inside the frame rails, then that is a pain.
The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 04:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I originally got at the valve covers when I was replacing my lower intake gasket. There is an engine hoist bracket or some kind of shield that is in the way of one of of the valve cover bolts and I could never see if it was seating properly. I ended up replacing the original rubber valve cover gaskets with a pressed paper type gasket that I guess is not sealing properly so if I'm going to have to work on it I really want to take the time and make sure I have as much access to it as I can.

I'm mostly just trying to figure out how much effort it would be to get a better angle at what I'm trying to fix and if it's really complicated then I'll just take the top end off again. Thanks to all who have replied.
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
I would just do the top end way again. It's not worth the effort of tipping just for the covers.
Pull the dog bone, get a bar clamp or whatever and pull the engine rearward as far as you can.
Other than removing the brace by the Alt. you can get them both off. As you know the front one hits the lift bracket but it will come out. I just pulled mine on my 3.4 to afjust the lifters a couple month ago.
Use the good gaskets and the silicone where needed and should be good. Also check your Dist. o-ring is not leaking...

hye_4_life

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hye_4_lifeSend a Private Message to hye_4_lifeDirect Link to This Post
If you want to continue with the tilting method, you can also remove the nuts holding the struts to the car. It'll give you a little more clearance, but keep an eye out for stretched wires and hoses.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2008 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
There is an alternative and easy way to free up room that we use. Its called using an engine tilter (tool) . These can often be found on eBay for cheap. You remove the dogbone and install the tilter there. Then you use a wrench to tighten the tilter and it pulls the engine forward. It provides far more room to work on the other side ( front) of the engine and you won't risk breaking anything. .

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 10-05-2008).]

The Poopsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PoopsmithSend a Private Message to The PoopsmithDirect Link to This Post
I might have to check out the engine tilter it sounds like it might be the easiest method. Thanks everybody.

Daniel
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

There is an alternative and easy way to free up room that we use. Its called using an engine tilter (tool) . These can often be found on eBay for cheap. You remove the dogbone and install the tilter there. Then you use a wrench to tighten the tilter and it pulls the engine forward.

In the case of the Fiero, I would guess it pulls the engine towards the back of the car.

Found a couple of pictures of two slightly different ones.

Hmmm.... seems to me that it would be possible to make something similar with a few select items from the hardware store.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Patrick,

I believe that you may be on to something there........ I love Fiero people. Alway looking for easier cheaper ways to get something fixed on thier cars...... actually, Fiero owners don't have the market conrered here.... Anyway, I will be scrounging around Home Depot tomorrow.....lol Plus for you Patrick. I'm just mad cause I did not think of it first....

Pat
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 03:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I love Fiero people. Alway looking for easier cheaper ways to get something fixed on thier cars......

Yep, that describes me pretty well.

Let us know what you come up with. I'll be needing to replace my cracked forward exhaust manifold at some point (when I get tired of hearing "tick, tick, tick" while accelerating), so doing something to give an extra inch or so of clearance in there sounds good to me.
FieroReinke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroReinkeSend a Private Message to FieroReinkeDirect Link to This Post
If tilting the engine may I suggest you change your front plugs since they are such a pain to get at.
leppy_89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for leppy_89Send a Private Message to leppy_89Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Poopsmith:

...There is an engine hoist bracket or some kind of shield that is in the way of one of of the valve cover bolts and I could never see if it was seating properly...

When replacing my valve cover gaskets, I thought the same thing. Turns out, the bracket wasn't what was in the way, it was the oil dipstick. Just remove the bolt on the

back that holds the oil dipstick, and it will come off. Much less work in my mind then trying to pull the engine forward. But having the tools to do it wouldn't be a bad thing either.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock