new fiero owner by Gwhite18
Started on: 02-16-2016 12:17 AM
Replies: 57 (1237 views)
Last post by: Gwhite18 on 10-03-2016 02:16 PM
Gwhite18

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I thought I would introduce myself. It took me quite a while to figure out how to get pictures to show up on this forum. It is seriously retarded, but I have gone back 20 years and figured it out. This place is not very mobile friendly. anyway I've been here for a while and enjoy looking at all the other threads.
My first fiero I had quite a few years ago. It was a 1985 4 banger. It was seriously a piece of crap. I had a lot of problems with it and traded it in before it exploded. Here are some pictures of my 1985.

I kinda missed my POS fiero, and decided to start looking for another one. I found one about a month ago and bought it! It is a 1987 GT. It's in pretty good shape. Definitely not a POS like my original one was. Here are some pictures of it comming home.

My little boy keeps calling it a race car. He seems to really like it.

It is definitely faster than the 4 banger I used to have. I think that one topped out at maby 100mph with a tailwind. This one is a little faster. I didn't want to hold the pedal down too long and get snagged by the mexican police, so I stoped a littly early.

I purchased it in St George and drove it home to Idaho Falls. It was a long drive but it was fun to get to know the new fiero. Here she is at home in the garage with the other toys.

and of course an engine shot. It was very clean. It was kinda sorta taken care of, but not used much, so once I hit the road, I noticed a "Few" problems.

My adventures began before I even left St George, UT. The heater core started puking coolant in St George at the hotel, and so I ended up bypassing the heater core to get me home. Needless to say I froze to death. I will never forget that one time I bought a used fiero and drove it through two states to get it home in the middle of february. Anyway here is the dammage.

I also had a lot of problems with the stereo. It has the subwoofer, but it was making some horrible noises. While I was digging into the heater core, I decided to investigate the subwoofer and this is what I found.

Yeah it was toast. I also decided to check out the dash speaker I took out and found about the exact same thing. No wonder it sounded like crap!

I'm really not a big fan of the pinstriping, so now that it's home, it's comming off..

Anyway that's the end of my adventures for now. I have parts orderd from rodney dickman and the fiero store. I'll post up progress pics as they come along.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum. Yes the forum software is very 90s centric and not mobile friendly but we can't complain too much considering that it's free and has very little advertising. And the wealth of knowledge here is unsurpassed in the Fiero world.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a question maybe someone can help me answer. I can't seem to find the folding thumb screws for the rear deck vents. Does anyone know where to get those?

The information contained in this forum is literally priceless. If you can think of it, it's proly on here somewhere. Lol. Now that I have the picture thing figured out things should go a lot smother.

[This message has been edited by Gwhite18 (edited 02-20-2016).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gwhite18:

I can't seem to find the folding thumb screws for the rear deck vents. Does anyone know where to get those?

They're the type of item that are best acquired while at the wrecking yard....

Now that I have the picture thing figured out things should go allot smother.

Photobucket isn't the best method as sooner or later the images are moved/deleted from the person's account... and then there's nothing left but red X's where images used to be in the posts. However, I'm not here to debate any of that. I just wanted to mention that images posted here can be up to 1024 pixels in width (and the file size when using PIP can be up to 300 kb). Make 'em big so we can see them easily. Welcome to the forum.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 02-16-2016).]

Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I will try pip. Png is horrible. I can only get 450 to 480 wide and it's almost 300kb. Jpg works okay.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You seem to have the basics down, as far as fixing Fieros. Your Fiero is already getting to know you, it seems. While you have that heater box apart, clean it thoroughly. Get any debris off the resistor.
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome Gwhite!

The next time you decide to hit 110 in your Fiero, make sure the doors are not ajar....

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting back into Fieros.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This place is not very mobile friendly.

I will try pip. Png is horrible. I can only get 450 to 480 wide and it's almost 300kb. Jpg works okay.

Keep in mind that PIP is for use with Windows.
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome. I joined this group only a few years ago. Great bunch.

------------------
1986 Fiero GT fastback SC3800 3.4 pulley, LS1 TB
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.9 motor
1985 Honda V65 Magna

Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand the door ajar thing has to do with something inside the door. I haven't had a chance to dig into it, but I'll get there.
PFF
System Bot
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gwhite18

143 posts
Member since Dec 2015
Man these 1980s cell phone holders are horrible. It keeps scratching up my cell phone.. What were they thinking?

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least you found a use for it.
SCRebeck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCRebeckSend a Private Message to SCRebeckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I bought my GT, previous owner installed that same exact intake. First thing I did was switch it back to stock. That intake pulls hot air right from the engine bay, rather than the side of the car as the stock. So other than a little better airflow I think it would hurt performance. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wish I had the OEM intake to put back on it!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Most agree that the stock intake was a very good setup and should be kept. If you need parts, just ask in the MALL; should not be difficult to find.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to PFF! I look forward to seeing the work progress on the car.

Definitely take the time to get PIP installed and figure out how to use it. Some people complain, but it is really simple once it is set up. I usually just open my pics in MS Paint and resize them to 800x600, then save them as jpgs. You can go up to 1024 wide, but 800x600 always seemed like a good compromise in image size and file size (Paint doesn't allow you to change compression ratio). There is nothing more frustrating than the threads with the "Red X" from people who figured they'd host their pics elsewhere....and then the pics disappear.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Paint doesn't allow you to change compression ratio.

IrfanView FTW...
SCRebeck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCRebeckSend a Private Message to SCRebeckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got mine from a local junk yard, if there's one near you that probably your best and cheapest option. I've also seen them on eBay. Nice GT btw. Interior looks great.

Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did a little bit of work today. Got the title put in my name, now I just have to wait for it to get here. I also took it out and washed it to get all the road grime off of it from the winter trip through the Rockies. I also did a shorty antenna mod. Looks okay I guess.

While I was under the car washing all the crap off the drive train components, I noticed this dangeling from the passenger side of the car. I pulled it off before it fell off. Can anyone identify what it is, and are there supposed to be two? I only have one, and it's kinda broken.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
that is a piece you dont need .It was designed to be used by a tow truck to retrieve broken down fieros .That is its only function and modern tow trucks do not use that technology anymore . They do not brace or support anything .
PFF
System Bot
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2016 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So what you are saying is everyone throws these away and I should hold onto mine so I can sell it to someone in 30 more years? Lol. Thanks for the reply my old car was a coupe and I've never been under a gt before.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thats like all the OEM floor mats I am saving .I always put in weathertech stuff and leave the matts in my garage and forget about them .Forgot to say there is supposed to be 2 of the plastic things that you posted the pick of .
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So it took a lot of searching, but I finally found the file. Thanks fierosound. I will be putting 5.25 components in the dash using his adapter plate.
Link to file

http://www.fierosound.com/speaker%20plate.doc

[This message has been edited by Gwhite18 (edited 02-17-2016).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

that is a piece you dont need .It was designed to be used by a tow truck to retrieve broken down fieros .That is its only function and modern tow trucks do not use that technology anymore . They do not brace or support anything .

Where is this under the car? I don't recall seeing it when I crawled under there.

Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was under the front of the car. They are only held on with one bolt to the frame just behind the bottom of the front facia.
Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Welcome to the forum. Yes the forum software is very 90s centric and not mobile friendly but we can't complain too much considering that it's free and has very little advertising. And the wealth of knowledge here is unsurpassed in the Fiero world.

I wish more people understood and appreciated this.

Welcome to the forum.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2016 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Taking the inside apart. This car is in excellent condition. I honestly think I'm the first person to digg into it. Everything is there and nothing is broken. I did find evidence of mice trying to make a home above the ecm.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure that isn't just the padding?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good looking GT. I particularly noticed the speedometer picture showing 110 mph, and it made me wonder how you got that particular shot without the steering wheel being in the picture.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Working on the rear speakers. I really didn't want to put the Kenwood 4x6 speakers in here so I thought I would try something else. There is only about 3/16 difference in depth once the jl plate is mounted top the stock plate. I believe there is panty of room between the speaker and sail panel. But I haven't fitted them yet. These are JL TR400-CXI. Cost about 100.00 and sound way better than the Kenwood 4x6s. Now to finish installing.

PFF
System Bot
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gwhite18

143 posts
Member since Dec 2015

Originally posted by tshark:

Are you sure that isn't just the padding?

Yeah it was a mouse. There was a neat little bed built in there with the padding. Luckily he didn't chew any wires. I don't think he was in there long.
rice.1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rice.1Send a Private Message to rice.1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gwhite, you have a PM.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2016 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will just continue to post all my crap in here. I'm not really doing anything that is groundbreaking, so it shouldn't make much difference. I got the rears mounted and it looks like they will fit. It is a little tight, but I think it will be fine. I probably should have just done the 4x6 speakers but oh well. I used the wire harness off of the OEM speakers. The two in the sail panel are the only OEM speakers that I'm keeping. All the others are headed to the trash.

I have given up on the idea of putting 5.25 components in the dash. I bought a really nice polk set, but I just couldn't bring myself to cut into the dash. I'm not a huge audiophile, so It just isn't worth it to me.

These kenwood 4x10s I'm sure will sound just fine for me. Not to mention they drop right in and I don't have to cut anything.

I got rodney dickmans replacement subwoofer installed in the oem box. Don't be fooled. It is not easy to get in there. It looks to be a much better speaker than the oem one, but fiddiling with a 30 year old piece of plastic is a pain in the but. I got it in though, maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to try it out.

Quad Raider

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I wish more people understood and appreciated this.

Welcome to the forum.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Got the heater core in and working, got the stereo back together and working. Took her out for a drive and all seems to be well. The stereo sounds okay. It sounds stock, but it's good enough for now.
Subwoofer

I also blacked out that metal bracket that you can see through the vents that gets all rusty. It bothered me in my first fiero, and it was one of the first things I noticed on this one. Not anymore.

When I got back from my ride I noticed some transmission fluid leaking, and the engine coolant is way foamy. Who knows what kind of maintenence this thing has had. Good thing it found a good home I guess.
tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Usually best to replace unknown fluids. How's the oil?

There is a metal strap between the shift and the radio that also gets rusty. Then the intermediate shaft.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah all the fluids are getting changed. Brake fluid is horrible. The engine oil looks good, but it's getting changed as well. Also looks line the oil filler cap is dribbling onto the head bolts.

Doing some center console repair. Well see how this goes.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you get the oil filler cap from TFS, be aware that the lettering wears off quickly.

Some people use the orange lock inserts on the gear indicator.

For the bubbly coolant, I worry that either it's boiling or there is air getting into it somehow.
Gwhite18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2016 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gwhite18Send a Private Message to Gwhite18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My son has never payed attention to the 500hp camaro in the garage, but he loves the fiero. Maybe because it's red, I dunno, but he calls it his race car. But even he doesn't know where the engine is in the fiero. LOL!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock