87 GT 2.8L water pump hose routing. by Austin71093
Started on: 10-22-2015 03:50 PM
Replies: 10 (1325 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-28-2015 02:44 PM
Austin71093

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I purchased my gt recently and the motor was in the process of going back into the vehicle. But I'm having an issue finding where the water pump hose routes. I've got the lower hose installed it's just the top hose under the coolant fill I cannot figure out. Any help is much appreciated!!!!![
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 87 doesn't use the top hose for the water pump (I think this is what you are asking). The only inlet on should be on the bottom side of the timing cover.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2015 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

The 87 doesn't use the top hose for the water pump...

When I changed the water pump on my Formula, I was under the impression that it was just the 88's that didn't have the hose coming out of the pump.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

My leaking water pump in the Formula.

Older style water pump with hose fitting.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-22-2015).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nope, they started that in the '87 model year. The return hose connects to the passenger side rocker panel pipe. I know, because my '87 SE has it.

That said, I think the OP is talking about the heater hose that connects to the thermostat neck. That one goes over to the firewall, then down to the bottom of the engine bay.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

Nope, they started that in the '87 model year. The return hose connects to the passenger side rocker panel pipe. I know, because my '87 SE has it.

Thanks, I learn something new all the time.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:

That said, I think the OP is talking about the heater hose that connects to the thermostat neck. That one goes over to the firewall, then down to the bottom of the engine bay.

It may have been a 'running change' which means that the '87 model year saw both methods of attaching the heater hose.....
Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2015 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See and this is what has m wondering if I have an old style pump with an extra fitting or if I have a line that I am missing. Any way to tell?
Austin71093

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austin71093Send a Private Message to Austin71093Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2015 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austin71093:

wondering if I have an old style pump with an extra fitting or if I have a line that I am missing. Any way to tell?

The smaller coolant hoses are the send and return lines to the heater core. Follow the hoses in the engine bay and see if they're all connected.

There obviously needs to be a complete circuit... whether you have the old or the new routing.

You have the older style water pump. The heater hose from there goes towards the trunk. There should be a metal tube by the dog bone that loops back towards the firewall which eventually connects to a hose that runs beside the gas tank and goes to the heater core.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-25-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I came across this image today. It shows the hose in the lower right corner that connects to the older style water pump.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock