heater core problems by spirit
Started on: 10-06-2015 10:09 AM
Replies: 18 (604 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 10-13-2015 08:03 PM
spirit

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86GT keeps leaking heater cores. Anyone know or has any ideas on why this keeps happening?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2015 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leaking on the passenger carpet or on the ground?
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Inside after fixing to leak on the outside
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you saying the heater core is leaking? Is it coolant or condensation from the A/C (there is a drain for this)? I find it strange that multiple heater cores are leaking. I would have to say it is the hose, or the installation (bent, stressed, punctured) of the core.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2015 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also replaced my heater core within the last year and it's leaking, too. It was a Spectra Premium from NAPA. The cores I was presented from Advance were all too short. The manufacturer's customer service told me to fill the space with insulating foam to hold it in place.

Jack, catch the drip in a cup, feed it to the neighbor's cat. If it survives, it was just condensate.
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Antifreeze won't kill a cat...lol
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 464
Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

Jack, catch the drip in a cup, feed it to the neighbor's cat. If it survives, it was just condensate.

Originally posted by bkw88:

Antifreeze won't kill a cat...lol

Come on guys, this isn't funny.

Antifreeze Poisoning in Cats
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol...... I have 4 cats.....they mean as much as the Fiero to me.
Back to the antifreeze leak.......
I would be looking at my inlet hoses....and tubes. Ck for a loose loose clamp....and making sure that something wasn't damaged when installing. Also check the hvac box drain. I'd should leak on floor unless pluged......thus why there is a drain. It's same as the a/c drain..I have installed many of the spectre heater cores. Never had a issue with one or fitment problem.
I believe Oreily auto parts has a brass core available. Might check into that
Best of luck with
Brian

[This message has been edited by bkw88 (edited 10-08-2015).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bkw88:

Lol...... I have 4 cats.....they mean as much as the Fiero to me.

The problem is... some people will take what is posted literally. In other words, even if you're just kidding about antifreeze not being poisonous, some dolt will believe you.

I just want to make it clear to anyone reading this thread that antifreeze is indeed poisonous.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2015 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, spare the cats. Bottle it, send it to Patrick. If HE survives, it's condensate.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

OK, spare the cats. Bottle it, send it to Patrick. If HE survives, it's condensate.

Probably tastes like Red Rock Ginger Ale.
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now you know why it looks like DexCool. Glad you saw the humor, Patrick. All in fun. But the Red Rock offer still stands, too.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 10-09-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Possibly "stressing" the outlet & inlet tubes during installation? This could crack the brazing. They're kind of fragile you know.
Kit
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the 4th core I have replaced and it is leaking at the header. No leak around the tubes. Before replacing the core one of the water tubes under was leaking due to a hole just under the front heater hose. After replacing the tubes found the core leaking. All this brought my attention as to what is happening to the heater. So got the core replaced today and hopfully all is fixed.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
were all these cores from the same place? Care to share the name?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jack, what brand core did you get? Everything I found was just a little shorter than the Harrison that came out.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2015 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Everything I found was just a little shorter than the Harrison that came out.

Yeah, the replacement heater core I put in my Formula two years ago was a little smaller than the core that came out. It therefore didn't seal along the edges all that well, but I hoped that a bit of air getting past the core unheated wasn't really going to affect the overall warming effect. It didn't, and I'm satisfied with it.

Originally posted by spirit:

This is the 4th core I have replaced...

With all your heater cores that have leaked, are you running straight water as a coolant, or are you using the proper 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and water?
spirit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spiritSend a Private Message to spiritEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Coolant is 50/50 but none of the tablets recommended for a Caddy engine. That has been fixed. GM wanted about $190 for core. Fiero Store asked about $100 and Auto Zone was $46 with life time warrenty. I have tried all 3 and the boxes they came in were all the same with the same markings. Go figure. I have installed the last 3 and have had the same results with the pro-installed. Hopefully this will be the last. By the way my cat (Zig) don't like antifreeze.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spirit:

By the way my cat (Zig) don't like antifreeze.

Lucky for the Zig.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock