Tint shop says they won't tint the rear quarters by Silvertown
Started on: 09-26-2015 06:33 PM
Replies: 14 (566 views)
Last post by: Silvertown on 10-15-2015 09:35 PM
Silvertown

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-26-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Says the emit gas that will ruin the tint? I don't know if this true. But I have seen others with it. I'm also going with ceramic tint to all 4 windows. Price Is $315 Out The Door Without The quarters.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pete poling

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pete polingSend a Private Message to pete polingEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See if they will do it but not give you a warrenty on just those 2 windows. I've had them tinted on a couple of my gt's over time amd have never had a problem
bkw88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ask olejoedad. He knows about tint.
Agree about the warranty thing
Brian
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2015 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If the tint is just the normal mylar plastic, the engine heat right beside them, being plastic, it will mess up. The rear window being glass and tinted on the side away from the engine, normally isnt affected. Just tape some film at the inside of the qtr window and let the engine idle there for a while, and the film will distort. The windows cant take the heat themselves, which is why most are craized or cracked in the first place.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-27-2015 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

If the tint is just the normal mylar plastic, the engine heat right beside them, being plastic, it will mess up. The rear window being glass and tinted on the side away from the engine, normally isnt affected. Just tape some film at the inside of the qtr window and let the engine idle there for a while, and the film will distort. The windows cant take the heat themselves, which is why most are craized or cracked in the first place.

Theyre using ceramic film. But in a jam because the sails are original and I would hate for them to crack.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Personally I would not trust a tint application on the quarter windows. The film is used for glass application inside the passenger compartment as it is not made for outdoor use. If you must have quarter windows with tint then the only source is Chris Cook who sells on eBay. His windows are quality replacements but are not made with the exact same contour of the originals. They do look pretty good though.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2015 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think if I was going to tint quarter windows, I would use the same technique that some have used to tint tail light lenses. Look for threads on that.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

I think if I was going to tint quarter windows, I would use the same technique that some have used to tint tail light lenses. Look for threads on that.

Has anyone used Tint Spray?
http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rll-253256

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-29-2015).]

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They didn't want to tint mine either but I insisted, over 5 years later my OEM quarters are still perfect and so is the 3M tint he used.
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JCircs:

They didn't want to tint mine either but I insisted, over 5 years later my OEM quarters are still perfect and so is the 3M tint he used.

I gave up asking him to do it. Driver side has a crack in it anyway so I thought I'll just wait but I don't see what all the fuss was about being I'm the paying customer.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What about the Fiero store tinted windows?
PFF
System Bot
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-29-2015 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

What about the Fiero store tinted windows?

If they have the correct curve like the oem then I'm down with that. All I've read is that no one makes them to oem spec.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2015 03:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another reason they don't tint the rear windows is they break when applying any pressure brittle unless new they know they will crack trying to wipe bubbles out of it.
pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2015 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As far as spray tint goes... I experimented with Plastidip Smoke. Tried on a motorcycle visor, and it blurs the vision. Don't know how clearly you need to be able to see out of your quarter window, but that was my experience

Just put up a quick thread on doing it on my tail lights... could probably do it on the quarters too if you aren't needing to see crystal clear out of them.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096025.html
Silvertown

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-15-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SilvertownSend a Private Message to SilvertownEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pHoOl:

As far as spray tint goes... I experimented with Plastidip Smoke. Tried on a motorcycle visor, and it blurs the vision. Don't know how clearly you need to be able to see out of your quarter window, but that was my experience

Just put up a quick thread on doing it on my tail lights... could probably do it on the quarters too if you aren't needing to see crystal clear out of them.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/096025.html

Don't use the qtrs for anything, just want it even with the door glass. I think I'm going to use vht.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock