A Decision Had to be Made..... by CJB118
Started on: 08-20-2015 12:31 PM
Replies: 33 (2236 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 08-08-2017 09:59 AM
CJB118

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have decided that CJB #118 is going to be restored to original spec, instead of modified. The time I've spent reading threads here, and following the links to other sites, has helped convince me that this particular car should be preserved. Driving it has also left me with a desire to work out the small drivability and aesthetic issues it presents; there are several of each, but none are harsh. The PO's have managed to avoid the major issues that I have read about. The drivetrain and suspension, wheels, body panels, and interior are all original, and all in good shape. I bought it with a cracked windshield, and that has already been replaced. I replaced two #194 bulbs for
the front markers, and it passed state inspection with no issues. The unpleasant smell turned out (of course) to be a mouse condo in the blower motor housing, and a thorough eviction is in progress. (Laugh at it on youtube, just search CJB118.)
So, the process of actual restoration (for me) always begins with decoding. Thanks to the members who have posted info and links for that aspect; I used their posts to build a spreadsheet with my codes and the corresponding equipment. There are 52 codes total, It seems to be a high-option car. I will be posting my progress reports here, along with photos and videos, and probably asking a lot of questions, and buying a few parts.
That explains my plan with this car. However, I still would love to build a midnight runner Fiero with a transplant motor; so that will be a separate car. I have a lot of experience with old-school V8 NA motors, and hmmm...just happen to have a W72 400ci from a 1977 LeMans Can-Am that is currently being parted out... Can-Ero? Fier-Am?

------------------
1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula, Yellow, original. (CJB #118)
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am, original, unrestored.

[This message has been edited by CJB118 (edited 08-20-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A few of the codes look unreadable. How do you plan to decipher them?
GKDINC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2015 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Have a Great Day
Gary
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:
A few of the codes look unreadable. How do you plan to decipher them?

Neils88, Thanks for asking. What I learned hereabouts is the codes appear in alphanumeric order on the sticker, with alpha sorted before numerics. So, the faded codes can be deciphered by first, their position relative to the readable ones, and second, what equipment I know the car has. For example, in column 1, top code would be "AAA" (naturally the first code, since nothing would be sorted before that) for 'additional standard equipment'. Below that, since the code is ??9, it must be
AR9 'Seat, front bucket, driver, passenger, manual reclining', since the car has those, and they are original, and the only other code choices are AF9 ,Seat, front, bucket, driver, passenger, reclining ('84-87)' - this would not apply, (since it's an 88) or AF9 'Lumbar seat, adjustable, driver, passenger ('88)' - which it does not have. So that's the process I have used, I would welcome comments on it. I can post a list of the codes on the sticker including my guesses, if anyone would like to second-guess me. BTW, Thanx to Stickerguy and theogre, for posts and links that I used for this effort.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
(= your label code)

See my Cave, RPO List for spring codes. = 6RD 7RD 8UC 9UC

Trans uses 3 codes
1 just car is built, stick or auto = MX1 for Auto
2 is exact unit used = MD9 for TH125C
3 is final drive, called trans ratio for auto's = GX3 for 3.33:1 final w/ 1:1 Chain (See Gear Ratio)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 08-21-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I applaud your decision. 299 CJB Formulas were built, and more than half of them must be gone or re-bodied.
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

I applaud your decision. 299 CJB Formulas were built, and more than half of them must be gone or re-bodied.

Thanks, that was a major consideration for me; I agree that there must be only a few left. I have always been drawn to the low-production models or packages...I have owned a 1972 Dodge Charger Rallye, a 1972 Grand Prix SJ, 1974 Cutlass S with swivel bucket seats, a 1978 Cutlass Supreme with T-Tops, and currently have the CJB and a 1977 LeMans Can-Am. A buddy in high school had a 1973 Grand Prix SJ with T-Tops, at the time the coolest car I had ever been in. So, Pontiac and T-Tops were a theme for me, but always in the NA, V8, RWD layout. I feel like the Fiero purchase is my stepping into a newer era of performance. I'm pretty excited to get this car as close to original condition as possible, to experience it like the first owner did.

------------------

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CJB118

273 posts
Member since Jul 2015

Originally posted by theogre:

(= your label code)...

Thanks, Ogre; I have incorporated this info into my spreadsheet. I spent some time on this site, your cave and some other sites, while I was deciding which make and model of project car I wanted to purchase. The quantity and quality of information, and the level of collaboration and cooperation I saw made the decision easy; a Fiero would be sensible, because the information and parts I would need are readily obtainable, thanks to the organizing efforts of yourself and many others. Plus, the car itself is pretty exciting for the aspects of performance and technology. I know it's not the latest thing, but neither am I. Reading threads and pages shows the passionate nature of Fiero owners. Now that I actually own one, I can see why.
Now, I need your input on one particular code; at the top of column 4, the code is faded, but it looks like (and would fit the alphabetical order if) it would be D96 'Stripe, body side upper' - but I don't know what stripe this would refer to - is it the Formula decal?
Also, I have some smaller stickers that I found in the door pockets, I will post pics soon - they refer to the steering column and other details, I will need your help with those.

------------------

zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Picture of the car?

Also, if you wanted to keep the car looking original but have more power, why not do a 3.4L swap?

BTW, welcome to the forums

------------------
Every fiero has a story, It's our job to keep that story alive.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't read too much into the CJB Formula deal. More of them are left than you think. I have a couple in my area alone and two are yellow the supposed most rare color.

The frenzy on these took off with Fiero Phil years ago as made a big deal on how rare his yellow CJB was. While true that the number is small you also have to consider the demand too. Only a handful in the Fiero arena really know much about them and car.

You really need to look at the car and decide how much stock restoration would cost and any future potential for the car to gain back that value. I do not see the car so I can not judge it from here let alone in a photo.

The truth is the gaskets for the top and some of the parts are worth more parted out than the car as a whole. This is an issue for many cars today. Even the great Duisenberg's today are at great risk as many have been parted out as they are worth a lot together but worth even more in parts. Collectors have worried about this with many cars anymore with hard to find parts.

The fact is this and some hate to accept it. The Cars and Concepts T tops are not as rare as many like to think. While it was a one year factory installed option at Cars and Concepts the truth is they had been converting cars since late 1983. The only difference is a number on the fender RPO and the gasket. The same people who built the CJB also converted these other cars on the same line in the same place with the same parts.

Now to the purist CJB may mean a lot but to most people it is just a T top and are the gaskets and plastic trim in good condition. It is to the point that are the collective parts any good. Most glass today is scratched, Plastic caps are missing and broken and seals and gaskets are torn. FInding original parts CJB or not is difficult and getting expensive each year.

I know with my tops I hold them with what I coined the death grip as you drop them you might be screwed. Most used tops are trashed and there are a couple NOS out there that are getting more expensive all the time. Odds for repo parts are slim too. While there were almost 8,000 Top kits made including the CJB the number is still too small to support a repo market.

If the car is in good shape and the restoration cost reasonable it would be a prime model to restore.

Anymore as long as the car is clean and if it is modified correctly with good documentation the values are about the same. So many are rusted or need more work than they are worth value wise and this really hurts value. It is tough to restore about any car and make money anymore unless you can most all yourself and even then it can be upside-down.

I have seen some GTO's that have much more in them than what they were sold for anymore. That is restored right to concourse conditions.

Good luck and I hope it turns out as you plan. Just do this only if you love the car and If you really want it stock. Don't do it just because there are not many around. The odds of the demand catching up to making the value rise are slim. Fiero Phil really kind of jacked things up here with his car.

To be honest Yellow has never been an issue to find in Fiero. I know it is the least produced color. But today you seldom see the factory blue. I think many were painted over and so few were built to start. It really was not the best blue Pontiac ever offered.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-22-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The most rare color is silver....
PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

The most rare color is silver....

Depends on the year.
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6: Don't read too much into the CJB Formula deal.

Thanks for your input, hyperV6; That was a comprehensive overview of the Fiero landscape, well stated. I am approaching this project as every other niche vehicle I have ever owned: Rule one, I buy a car that suits my sensibilities (not always my capabilities, more on that later), two, I personally never expect to make a profit on any vehicle, regardless of the input and outcome...I have been in this arena long enough to how thin a profit or great a loss results from the selling resto or mod builds, unless done in a shop with more tooling than mine; so my only consideration ever is if I will enjoy working on it, and driving it. No future value or sale considerations inform my plans. Presently, the Fiero fits my list, because it is a limited production, cool looking Pontiac, an example of a major corporation taking a risk to cater to enthusiast drivers, and it runs and drives. I need to get some enjoyment out of it while I work on it...My wife and I are wrapping up a massive, 4-year DIY home renovation, and we need a cool down period before throwing ourselves into any major vehicle resto/mod projects. In fact, the LeMans Can-Am in my sig was purchased and towed home about the same time the home reno was started, I hoped to do both at the same time - then the house project just kept precluding any garage time, and I learned that the 77 Lemans is barely noticed by any parts vendors. So, that is a very cool Pontiac, but it is no closer to driving than when I bought it. In fact, the thing took up garage space that could have been used for building materials. It seems to prove mis-management of this stage of my life, but really proves that every turn, I chose to prioritize the house over the car. Now it's outdoors, and for sale, and any proceeds will be used for Fiero parts. If it doesn't sell, that's OK, I can part it out, or as I mused before, make a franken-Fiero with Can-Am parts. ( I bet that scoop and ducktail spoiler would look great on a notchback). My wife and I have plans to upgrade the garage, install a lift, and get greasy next year. We are at that sweet spot where our income potential is high, and our bills are low, and since both of us love the car hobby, that's where our next dose of discretionary income will be spent.

------------------

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2015 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CJB118:

Thanks for your input, hyperV6; That was a comprehensive overview of the Fiero landscape, well stated. I am approaching this project as every other niche vehicle I have ever owned: Rule one, I buy a car that suits my sensibilities (not always my capabilities, more on that later), two, I personally never expect to make a profit on any vehicle, regardless of the input and outcome...I have been in this arena long enough to how thin a profit or great a loss results from the selling resto or mod builds, unless done in a shop with more tooling than mine; so my only consideration ever is if I will enjoy working on it, and driving it. No future value or sale considerations inform my plans. Presently, the Fiero fits my list, because it is a limited production, cool looking Pontiac, an example of a major corporation taking a risk to cater to enthusiast drivers, and it runs and drives. I need to get some enjoyment out of it while I work on it...My wife and I are wrapping up a massive, 4-year DIY home renovation, and we need a cool down period before throwing ourselves into any major vehicle resto/mod projects. In fact, the LeMans Can-Am in my sig was purchased and towed home about the same time the home reno was started, I hoped to do both at the same time - then the house project just kept precluding any garage time, and I learned that the 77 Lemans is barely noticed by any parts vendors. So, that is a very cool Pontiac, but it is no closer to driving than when I bought it. In fact, the thing took up garage space that could have been used for building materials. It seems to prove mis-management of this stage of my life, but really proves that every turn, I chose to prioritize the house over the car. Now it's outdoors, and for sale, and any proceeds will be used for Fiero parts. If it doesn't sell, that's OK, I can part it out, or as I mused before, make a franken-Fiero with Can-Am parts. ( I bet that scoop and ducktail spoiler would look great on a notchback). My wife and I have plans to upgrade the garage, install a lift, and get greasy next year. We are at that sweet spot where our income potential is high, and our bills are low, and since both of us love the car hobby, that's where our next dose of discretionary income will be spent.

You appear to have it together thought wise.

The greatest mistake on Fiero's is that they think just because they don't see one everyday they are rare. The truth is they are not all that rare as many were preserved over the years and just do not see a lot of road time. Add to that a demand that just does not out strip supply. To do a Fiero you have to do it because you love the car not for profit. Really most cars should be treated this way as if they are never worth anything you will have something you like anyways.

The T top is the best thing I ever had done. I had C&C do my top as a dealer installed option and loved it since 1987. Though when I dropped the car off I though what am I doing they are cutting the roof off my car.

The Can Am you have is one car that will increase in value due to the nature of the car. The few the were built and saved. Also the fact they are hard to restore will help it. It may never reach Super Duty levels it will be one of the 70's Pontiacs to save.

Then nature of the Fiero is one where unless It is a low mileage 88 GT the value of it may never get to the point that it may suffer vs. a well done modified car. Just document what you did and what you sued in the build. This is like a flight log book for a plane and is added value.

Keep it tasteful and appealing too as some cars are done that the owners only taste was in his mouth and he never will see much out of the car.

That you described body wise is much like the DGP IMSA GTU cars. They are very good looking in street trim and are not like so many other cars just like the one next to it. I love street rods but how many red coupes or even Cobra reproductions do we need?

I have been into Fieros since 1980 when I bough the first magazine on one. I have always said be honest about the faults as they are there. It is not the second coming of a McLaren F1 even with a big block and it is not as rare as you want to think it is. By being honest it give you and the car credibility with others and they will accept things when you do show the good points of the car.

I will always keep mine as it was the first new car I ever bought. I have live through a bad crash rebuilt it and won many awards and drive several race tracks in it. I have been invited to be at GM events and this year a Concourse show that is put on with the help of a Ferrari club . It has opened doors for me and of all my older cars may be the least valuable but those experiences are things I could not have done with the other cars.

Sometimes being the odd car out has it's perks.

Also since I live the full life of the car of being a Celebrity when I first bought it in the 80's. A fool for owning it in the 90's to today being cool for owning something different. Being a Fiero owner requires thick skin. LOL!

The biggest thing is do with the car that you want to do. Odds are great you will not lose value and life is too short not to enjoy it as you see fit.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 08-24-2015).]

Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2015 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I say go for it,CJB118 !
I just aquired a yellow 88GT,T-TOP car #808 this summer..
5 speed with leather.. The one I've been looking for all these years.
Came out of NH as well..

Was delivered to Ocean Pontiac in June of '88...

Can't wait to restore it.
Love the WA8908/CJB cars!

[This message has been edited by Indyellowgt (edited 08-25-2015).]

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2015 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This image is from the first moment I saw the car back out of the storage unit into the sunlight. My only one thought...SOLD! I haven't taken many pix yet, but I plan to document the resto with photos.
HyperV6, that's quite a history...nice to be acquainted with an 'original owner'. I wish I had been more focused at that stage of my life; I would probably have bought one new.
Indyyellow, hope we can meet up someday. Rt 202 goes thru our town about 1.5 miles from our house...would be easy to take it north and get together somewhere. I'm so new to this, I have not even met any other Fiero owners yet.
On to the resto! Some questions: Has anyone found labels like this in their Fiero?
If so, where were they originally placed? One of these was loose in the door pocket and the other was laying on the floor...also, RPO Code D96 ('Stripe, body side upper')- what stripe this would refer to - is it the Formula decal?

------------------

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I would have flipped too had I seen a yellow CJB Formula locally!
Great score!

Those paper tags were usually under the instument cluster housing and/or the door panel.
I would imagine the "stripe" is for the door decal. Cool.

Have you submitted your Formula's info to the Fiero historian ? Drop him a line and he will get you all kinds of great info on your car for you! His name is Jon Podziemski here's his email: podziemj@matc.edu

I am right off route 202 here in Maine 😎

Interstingly enough, I found my yellow GT ttop almost by accident.. A very vague advertisement for way too much money,but I reached out anyways and I was floored when I found out that it is one of currently 34 known GT ttop yellow Fieros out there..
Only three on record being optioned like mine!

Plus the fact this is the one Fiero I have been searching for all these years(been looking for 17)

Anyways,good luck with the resto and feel free to hit me up for parts as I have tonnnnnnsssss.

Keep the pics coming! I'd post up some of mine but I only have a droid that pff doesn't support 😐

Cheers

Mark
h.d.fire

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for h.d.fireSend a Private Message to h.d.fireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CJB118-
WELCOME!!!!
You'll find this Forum to be a great place to meet folks and exchange info on your car.
I've been in the car hobby for over 40 years and test drove a Fiero in August of '83. The wife and
I were just starting out and she decided we needed a back seat for "kids some day" so it was 10
years later till I bought my first one. I've owned 9 Fieor's, one from each year, two INDY Pace Cars
(one being car #2000) and currently finishing up my "resto-mod" of a '88 Formula T-Top. My car is
#1235 on the registry.
Good luck with your project and keep us posted on your progress!
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CJ I do not get up that way often but if you get to Akron Ohio let me know.

Thanks for the kind words.

If I can help with any info contact me. I don't look at PM often but I do catch up once in a while.
Fiero Toy Box

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero Toy BoxClick Here to visit Fiero Toy Box's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero Toy BoxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As most of you know, I maintain the Pointiac Fiero T-Top Registry. I have 376 of the CJB T-Tops fully documented. Of these, 15 are yellow Formulas. When you realize that the collectability of the T-Top Fiero was recognized very early on, and many were saved and preserved. If you own a Fiero T-Top, and its not in the Registry, or if you are a newer owner of a documented, send me your info, Name, Address, phone, etc, and a photo of the SPI label (the large white label inside the front trunk fixed to the left inner fender wall. I will document your car (and you as the owner), and then send you a .pdf of the Registry Record, and a deciphered list of all those RPO codes. (Note that I have a datafile I've created with 375+ unique RPO codes that were used on the Fiero.) If only a few codes are legible, I can fill in the blanks based on position and the database of decoded Fieros I have.

If you have a non-T-Top Fiero, any year, any model, I can make you a Fiero Registry Record and decode your RPOs. Just send me your info and the pghoto of the SPI label.

Regarding the number of official CJB Fieros made, the list from Cars & Concepts numbers 1252. But in the list, there are 4 duplicated VINs. Having fully documented 30% of the T-Tops, and never have come across a CJB VIN that was not on the list, I suspect that the true number produced is 1248 after removing the 4 dups.

Send info to me at 88GT@FieroPride.com

------------------
Ray Paulk
The Fiero Toy Box

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2015 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey...CJB #118 was in it's first car show today! Actually it was my company's summer picnic, and there were only 4 vehicles including mine, but hey - it drew some favorable attention, alongside a 1964 Plymouth Valiant, a 1969 Dodge Charger, and an M175 Jeep! YouTube Clip

AND, something that made it even better - I had the "window sticker" sheet produced by Ray Paulk displayed on the car. It's a nice touch, full of info, and very authentic. if you would like a similar item, see Ray's contact info above. Highly recommended.
------------------

[This message has been edited by CJB118 (edited 08-29-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

CJB#118 participated in it's 2nd car show today - this one by the Kiwanis Club, at the American Legion in Keene, NH. About 100 cars in the show, about 10 Pontiacs, and only 1 Fiero. Some really outstanding vehicles...some shiny, some scary, some a little of both. All the old cars made me remember an old car joke:
Q: What's the most dangerous part of any car?
A: The nut that holds the wheel!

------------------

Indyellowgt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2015 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cool!
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I own CJB-95 and when I got the car it was BONE STOCK. I'm the second owner and got it with 61K in 1998. I wondered about keeping it stock too, but for me it was easy, its just a coupe, and a no option one as well. Other than A/C, tilt wheel it has no options. I wanted to make it a car I could have bought if I could have picked the options myself, so I added, a GT wheel, GT gauges, GT rear swaybar, PW, PDL and upgraded the stereo w/ a later GM CD unit. After that I started to swap out bushings for Poly and powdercoated a bunch of stuff. I added 12" brakes and 16" rims and a rear wing. Finally I decided to do an engine swap and installed a 3.4 DOHC.

After a while I decided that I wanted more and replaced the rear clip w/ a fastback one and my last big mod was an LS376/F40 trans. I"m not done but she is far from stock. Next is paint and a interior color swap, maybe even a G6 dash.

Its your car, have fun and if you decided to modify it, start with bolt on's and use stock Fiero stuff, or at least GM stuff.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376, F40 and a GT clip
LS Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:
I"m not done but she is far from stock.

Sheesh your car is stunning. Tech and aesthetics are amazing! I appreciate how much work that took, don't forget to enjoy it as-is before adding 'more perfection'!
That paint color is so cool and tactical-looking. You actually have one touch I had already decided on: Mine is missing the front badge, so I will be putting on the arrowhead emblem in its place, as a nod to Pontiac heritage...nice work throughout.
AAAAAAAnyway, I am going tomorrow to look at and possibly buy an 03 GTP with 111,000 Mi. L67. Officially, I will be building another notchie, midnite-runner beastie. But, since I already have two Pontiacs on the property, tomorrows purchase might be the start of a madcap mix and match episode, no idea what will result. All will be documented, right here. Thanks for your input!

------------------

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2015 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And now this is coming home:

------------------
1977 Pontiac Le Mans Can-Am W72, original, unrestored.
2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP L67/MN7 (Parts Car)

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The GTP has arrived! It took 2 months for the PO's insurance co. to issue and mail a salvage title, so we just closed the deal last Saturday. The car is a 2003 Limited Edition Grand Prix GTP with 111,000 miles. It will be dismantled, and we are going to build a Fiero with as much GTP content as possible. The motor purrrrrrs. I posted a lo-res slideshow of the car and 2 HD clips of the supercharger pulley running on youtube: LINK
------------------

[This message has been edited by CJB118 (edited 11-29-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2015 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I posted a lo-res slideshow of the car and 2 HD clips of the supercharger pulley running on youtube...

What are we looking for?
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I understand it, any play in the supercharger pulley is a sign of excessive wear. I have to keep this car intact for now since I might have to move it into or out of the garage, so I am not taking the serpentine belt off just yet - so for my own edification, I just watched (and recorded) the pulley as it ran. It seems to be absolutely solid and stable while running. I will do the manual check of the pulley once I start the disassembly of the car.
This turns out to be a "rarer" GP than I realized - the limited edition had some unique options, and this one has factory paint in WA8743 'black sapphire metallic' - only available on the GP in 03..

------------------

[This message has been edited by CJB118 (edited 12-01-2015).]

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero has been throwing codes 21 and 32 since I bought it. Today I replaced the TPS with a Standard MP unit from Rock Auto. Properly reset the ECM and drove it to a cremee stand and to pick up chinese takeout, about 1 hour of driving, from idling in traffic to a couple WOT outbursts. CEL came back on, read code 32 only, so I think the new TPS is calibrated and working properly. So, I will be doing more diagnosis on the remaining code. Still having drivability issues with a heat aspect - drives great until it warms up then has an off-idle stumble up through 3000 RPM. The problem seems worse on hot days. Does this sound like fuel boiling? I still have a whole box of tune-up parts to install, but I would like to focus on this 1 issue. Where should I look for heat shielding failure? Or, is there something else that causes this more frequently? Also, heads up on a wierd issue we noticed...TPS top bolt was siezed and resisted all efforts, until we cut off the head with a dremel...then the threaded part was only finger tight, which means the head of the bolt was siezed to the metal sleeve in the TPS itself.

------------------
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2016 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 32 is not easy to trouble shoot.... could be a loose vacuum connection all the way up to a solenoid that is trash. There are many threads about code 32, but here is the best one to start with..

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045528.html
PFF
System Bot
CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2016 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PARTS HAUL! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow?

------------------
1977 Pontiac Grand LeMans

CJB118

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2017 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CJB118Send a Private Message to CJB118Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A decision had to be changed...
CJB #118, our yellow Formula, is getting an L67. This is happening, and here's why:

1. I LOVE DRIVING THIS CAR! I am an old school front-engine, RWD enthusiast, but driving this car hard just reminds me how sloppy the big detroit iron feels in comparison. The handling of the Formula in stock form impresses me, and makes me wonder what is possible with basic mechanical upgrades. Suspension and brakes will be upgraded first, Fieroguru will be our vendor for rotors and adapters, and all soft parts will be upgraded to poly, which technically begins a process of modification, not restoration.

2. The car is being driven. A lot. Reason, see #1. In fact it is approaching 100k miles, and at that point will lose some perceived market value. Not to me, as I explained waaay above, but to the universe at large. I only see the milestone as permission to proceed, continue driving it like it deserves and wants, and stop any pampering. I am keeping this car forever. And, this car loves the open highway, so if WE (shout out to my incredible wife Lisa) want to drop everything and zoom out to the Tyler Shipman show, or shows down south, we will, odometer be damned. Trunk space? We travel very light. Always have.

3. The availability of upgrade parts are astounding. OEM stuff is harder to find and buy than upgrades. I have always treated my car builds as sort of a puzzle, where the searching and finding of just the right original piece is part of the intrigue, and a rewarding accomplishment when found, negotiated, purchased and installed. With the Fiero, that same process has revealed some serious and dedicated folks who know where Pontiac held back, and have already sweated out the process to fill those gaps with parts that should have been actual options from the manufacturer. That is not uncommon, you can find niche pieces for many long running car models, but the difference here is these parts were created for a car that was only built for five years, with almost no interchange to other models. Thanks to Rodney, Fierorog, Fieroguru, Russ88ttop and many others, we are not limited to the choices made by nervous GM executives only. The cars can become true versions of themselves, not just orphans with an undeserved commutercar heritage. People who worked hard to create these parts did so to assist you and me, acknowledging they would never make tons of money, but following through anyway. When I see focus like that, I vote with my wallet. Thanks to each of them.

4. Market values for the Fiero, even in the rare versions, remain soft. The nagging orphan factor, the "inFerno" misperception, and a wide lack of understanding in general seem to hold back the model from the icon status it deserves. That's fine with me, I will drive and enjoy it until they take the keys from me. Meanwhile, I will enjoy interacting with everyone here, a smart group who look past those nags and recognize a unique and capable slice of Detroit history.

5. I want to get in the face of those sleepy folk who see mine as an oddball or "some old car". Not by raising my voice, but with just a light push of the gas pedal at the right moment. An L67 will do that just fine. My lukewarm, fussy 2.8 is due for a teardown and rebuild, and the same amount of work will tear down and rebuild a 3.8 with 100 more HP. And, thanks to vendors mentioned above, I already have a well engineered set of conversion mounts.

6. I could convert another Fiero, but why? I already have this car, it is in worthy mechanical shape overall, and I can only drive one car at a time. I have bonded with this one, it will get all my attention. It wants this.

7. As an old muscle car guy, I am dead tired of chasing rust out of body panels to finish or maintain a restoration. And don't get me started about chrome strips, swoops, etc. My Fiero magically eliminates both of those with SMC and black trim. Brilliant. Now I can spend that time on mechanical subjects. It feels like a reward for acknowledging another type of perfornance.

Next summer is when the swap will be finalized. As before, I welcome your comments, and will see you at future shows.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2017 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

7. As an old muscle car guy, I am dead tired of chasing rust out of body panels to finish or maintain a restoration. And don't get me started about chrome strips, swoops, etc. My Fiero magically eliminates both of those with SMC and black trim. Brilliant. Now I can spend that time on mechanical subjects. It feels like a reward for acknowledging another type of perfornance.

Agreeed!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock