Is an amp required by bonaduce
Started on: 08-08-2015 10:59 AM
Replies: 44 (665 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 08-18-2015 03:10 PM
bonaduce

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am going to be replacing my speakers in the next couple of weeks and am planning on doing the 5.25 componet style. Did a quick look through search and couldn't find a definitive answer. Does this set up require an amp? At 45 my ears have taken all the abuse that I want them to take so big bass isn't neccessary anymore.

thanks
dan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, you don't necessarily need an external amp. I presume you already have an aftermarket head unit?
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, the previous owner put a kenwood tape deck in with a 10 disc changer also. This is being removed for a better unit. Thank you for your answer.

dan
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the speakers you get, the internal amp in the head unit probably won't have enough power to drive them at their rated power, but should be able to provide decent sound without adding an amp.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
was looking at these for the dash

http://www.crutchfield.com/...ue-Magic-CX-130.html

and these for the pillars

http://www.crutchfield.com/...x-462-DE.html?tp=100

dan

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 08-13-2015).]

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No amp required but it could make a big difference in sound quality without meaning it will be loud. For example bass response would be better which makes a big difference. Not sure how you will fit those 6 1/2" on the pillars. I would better try a 4x6.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the pillars, just get 4x6" plates. You're barely going to use them, and definitely don't want 6.5" speakers right next to your head. Plus, 6.5" won't fit in the pillars. Stock pillar speakers are 4x6" coax.

You're going to end up setting the fader to probably 80% forward anyway.
Khw

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Depending on the speakers you get, the internal amp in the head unit probably won't have enough power to drive them at their rated power, but should be able to provide decent sound without adding an amp.

I have to agree with dobey here, not the first time that's for sure . In the speaker specs there is usually a rating that says something like 96 db 1w/1m, which means with 1 constant watt the speaker will produce 96 decibels at a 1 meter distance from the speaker. Every time you double the wattage that gives a 3 db increase to it's output db, so say it's the above example 99 db at 2 watts, 102 at 4, 105 at 8, 108 at 16 and so on. Chances are your not going to be giving the speaker the max amount of wattage it can "handle" anyways. However the drawback is distortion. The stock radio amp is going to give you more distortion than a decent quality external amp so you will get better sound from the amp verses the headunits internal amp. It doesn't have to be a huge amp. Something 30-50 watts RMS per channel should be more than enough if you decide the distortion from the headunits internal amp is just to mech.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-08-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:
I have to agree with dobey here, not the first time that's for sure . In the speaker specs there is usually a rating that says something like 96 db 1w/1m, which means with 1 constant watt the speaker will produce 96 decibels at a 1 meter distance from the speaker. Every time you double the wattage that gives a 3 db increase to it's output db, so say it's the above example 99 db at 2 watts, 102 at 4, 105 at 8, 108 at 16 and so on. Chances are your not going to be giving the speaker the max amount of wattage it can "handle" anyways. However the drawback is distortion. The stock radio amp is going to give you more distortion than a decent quality external amp so you will get better sound from the amp verses the headunits internal amp. It doesn't have to be a huge amp. Something 30-50 watts RMS per channel should be more than enough if you decide the distortion from the headunits internal amp is just to mech.

For the factory head unit that may be true, but with a decent aftermarket unit, like an Alpine, there will be little to no distortion. And as already said, the car already has an aftermarket unit, and is getting replaced with a better one.

Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the factory head unit that may be true, but with a decent aftermarket unit, like an Alpine, there will be little to no distortion. And as already said, the car already has an aftermarket unit, and is getting replaced with a better one.

I didn't see the part about the newer unit. Skimmed over the Kenwood replacement to factory also. Gah! Sorry, medicated right now. Thunderstorms been rolling through, neck hurts, right hand and right foot are numb... Just not a good day and I'm still working on finishing the engine swap on our Mazda. Just taking a break from it for a little bit right now.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the replies gentleman.

dan
PFF
System Bot
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to ask why are you changing the head unit..??
ever Kenwood I ever bought , even with the c/d changers have rca aux inputs.. so you can add a cable to go from rca's to the 3.5mm mini plug for mp3 players, or a Bluetooth receiver to wirelessly connect to your phone..

Next the old kenwood most likely has better internal amps than a new unit with the "digital" amp.. more than likely the old kenwood is 25 watts x4 or 40x4 into 4 ohms..

Dobey is incorrect, all head units internal amps have distortion , the rating is miss leading, as they test a non musical signal, most times at 1000-2000hrz that is a cake walk, also in a room at 68 * and steady line voltage.. of 14.6 volts.. one channel driven.. nothing like the unit when in a vehicle driving all 4 channels with a music signal, in a hot or old vehicle, many times with the heating ducting near it..

You don't need an amp.. it all depends on how picky you are about your music..
example, the internal amp when you play say, skid row youth gone wild, the intro drums, dun, dun space space dun dun, then guitar, it might take half way through the song to recover from that intro's drums, and have no headroom, and just be muddy.. same with say kiss, king of the mountain drum intro, or any Boston tune.. were an amp with 75wx4 will have zero issues at normal levels, and even somewhat cranked.. With a fiero that you are only going to have tiny rear speakers and 5.25" in the dash, the head units amps more than likely will be more than good enough.. as none of the speakers are going to produce any real low end anyways, if there is enough depth in the pillars, I'd run good 4" round co ax and 5.25" in the dash.. 4x6 plates are very limited in what is avail now.. and uses a 3.5" speaker . these speakers are more important than the dash as it is beside your head, fader won't help make crap sounding speakers sound good..

good luck..

bonus is no one will break into your car to rip out an old kenwood headunit with cassette..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-12-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you want to add a little bit of bass to your system, I can highly recommend a powered subwoofer I put in my Fiero. It will not vibrate your license plate, or drive the neighbors crazy while driving by, by any means, but it does do a job on my rear view mirror when I have it cranked up. I put it right behind the drivers seat, and being 6' tall, I still have plenty of room, and no closer to the steering wheel then before I installed it. A few people at Daytona were impressed by just how much thump it has for being so slim. Don't take my word for it, it got 4.5 out of 5 stars, and you can read all the reviews on Amazon HERE.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 08-13-2015).]

LornesGT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LornesGTSend a Private Message to LornesGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have similiar interest as the OP and that I don't want my 53 year old ears bleeding either. I do want a sub added and I would imagine that he probably will as well since my set up sounds like his, expect stock style radio with eq, that is why i am thread jacking. What amp would any of you recommend? Of course mine doesn't have RCA jacks.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont worry about an amp making your music too loud or too bass-y. You can always still adjust the volume, and adjust the treble/and bass with your head unit. An amp will just make the music sound fuller, more realistic. A place with good customer service and prices is http://www.crutchfield.com/.../Car-Amplifiers.html

I'm not an expert, but I'd say look at what the speakers you have are rated for and aim for an amp that says its nominal (RMS) power is in the upper range of the speaker.

These speakers say "power range: 2-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power) frequency response: 75-25,000 Hz "
I take this to mean the speakers coudl eve sound good with a low watt system.
http://www.amazon.com/Infin...eywords=infinity+4x6

These say: •Peak Power Handling: 180 watts | RMS Power Handling: 5-60 watts
•Frequency response: 75-25,000 Hz
http://www.amazon.com/Infin...4&keywords=plate+4x6
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Dont worry about an amp making your music too loud or too bass-y. You can always still adjust the volume, and adjust the treble/and bass with your head unit. An amp will just make the music sound fuller, more realistic. A place with good customer service and prices is http://www.crutchfield.com/.../Car-Amplifiers.html

I'm not an expert, but I'd say look at what the speakers you have are rated for and aim for an amp that says its nominal (RMS) power is in the upper range of the speaker.

These speakers say "power range: 2-60 watts RMS (180 watts peak power) frequency response: 75-25,000 Hz "
I take this to mean the speakers coudl eve sound good with a low watt system.
http://www.amazon.com/Infin...eywords=infinity+4x6

These say: •Peak Power Handling: 180 watts | RMS Power Handling: 5-60 watts
•Frequency response: 75-25,000 Hz
http://www.amazon.com/Infin...4&keywords=plate+4x6

An external amp supplying the same power as an internal amp, isn't really going to make the audio sound any fuller. In fact, an external amp with the same advertised RMS power, may actually output less than the internal amp does, at 4 ohms, as the external amp may be rated for a 2 ohm load. One needs to pay attention to such things when comparing ratings and matching an amp to speakers.

And stay away from the Infinity Kappas. They have very poor low frequency response. Notice how the low end cutoff is 75 Hz, while the OP's listed Blaupunkts go down to about 50 Hz. I was going to recommend some Polk Audio speakers instead, but the difference in price and frequency response wasn't enough to justify it in this case.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Originally posted by LornesGT:

I have similiar interest as the OP and that I don't want my 53 year old ears bleeding either. I do want a sub added and I would imagine that he probably will as well since my set up sounds like his, expect stock style radio with eq, that is why i am thread jacking. What amp would any of you recommend? Of course mine doesn't have RCA jacks.

Does your car have the factory Performance Sound option wired in? Do you have the original factory sub enclosure installed? Do you need to keep the OEM stereo?

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

An external amp supplying the same power as an internal amp, isn't really going to make the audio sound any fuller. In fact, an external amp with the same advertised RMS power, may actually output less than the internal amp does, at 4 ohms, as the external amp may be rated for a 2 ohm load. One needs to pay attention to such things when comparing ratings and matching an amp to speakers.

Yep ohms are important.
I'm not sure I understnad your first sentence. If ohms are taken into consideration, and a head unit has 50w internal and the external amp has 50w (actual RMS) wouldnt you end up with 100?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-13-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya an internal amp with no cap's to feed the needs in the peaks of the music signal will be better than an external amp with the proper cap's to follow the music signal demands..
you clearly have zero clue, or mistaken.. either way you're wrong..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Yep ohms are important.
I'm not sure I understnad your first sentence. If ohms are taken into consideration, and a head unit has 50w internal and the external amp has 50w (actual RMS) wouldnt you end up with 100?

the way most would install it, no.. you'd have 50watts per channel
now, if you installed it, using 8 speakers, 4 connected to the head units speaker leads and internal amp, and added an amp using line level outputs (RCA's) and hook that to 4 more speakers you'd have 8x50watts.. you'll note that most live music even for the biggest places are "heads" (amps) of 100-200watts single channels, it's so loud because of the number of channels and speakers.. 50+ speaker cases powered by 100w amps makes loud...
same in a car.. 8 speakers powered with 25w's will be louder than 4speakers x 50w

almost 99% of the time power hogs speakers will sound much better than ones that are efficient the high efficiency speakers are louder but are not as rich in their sound..
most high end drivers need 25 watts just to warm up..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 08-13-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

the way most would install it, no.. you'd have 50watts per channel

I dont understand that either.
*edit*
Ah maybe I do... "pre amp" outputs means un-amped outputs on the head unit then right?

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-13-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
I'm talking about this basic setup. We can disregard the sub or not, the 4 speakers would be wired the same wither way.

If the head unit puts out 50w per channel how is the net effect that the speakers each get 50w with or without the amp in line?
Do the RCAs out from the head unit have no amplification?
If so you would need an amp that has "high level" inputs correct?
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Speakers recieved today. As to why am I replacing the head unit, simple answer is I prefer to be able to use my Zune to listen to my music collection, and the kenwood doesn't have the ability to accept line in. As others have said I will most likely get an amp later, time will tell.

dan
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ya an internal amp with no cap's to feed the needs in the peaks of the music signal will be better than an external amp with the proper cap's to follow the music signal demands..

WTF are you even talking about? Nobody mentioned anything about capacitors. And if you're using a capacitor, then your audio system is using too much power, and your alternator and wiring is the wrong size to supply it.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand, are only here to attack and cause trouble in a thread that was already solved before you even commented.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

I'm talking about this basic setup. We can disregard the sub or not, the 4 speakers would be wired the same wither way.

If the head unit puts out 50w per channel how is the net effect that the speakers each get 50w with or without the amp in line?

Yes, the RCA outs are pure audio signal without any power amplification. If you want to use an external amp with a factory head unit (or any head unit which doesn't have RCA signal outputs), you'll need a line output converter, which takes the speaker level outputs and converts them into a suitable RCA output signal. Or you'll need an amp which takes speaker level inputs as well.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

the head unit "amp" feeds the speaker wires the rca outputs are not powered from the amp, they are line level.. like a home c/d player that you plug into a receiver ,

if you wire the 4 speakers using the speaker leads from the head unit you'll get the rated power of the head unit.

if you wire the 4 speakers (starting from the head unit) rca outputs to an amp then to speakers, you get the external amps rated power, as the head unit rca's are pre amp outputs, no power from the internal amps, the rca's bypass the internal amps all together..

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep ohms are important.

You wouldn't amplify sound that's already being amplified. I was making a statement about comparing the quality of sound when powered by the internal amplifier of a head unit versus an external amplifier of the same rated power. The internal power supply and amp in an Alpine head unit is going to be the same design if you were to buy an external amp from Alpine that was rated at the same power, for the same load; at least, any amp priced at a low end consumer price level (as we are talking about here). Now, if you were going to spend $10K on a set of ultra high end Focals or something, you'd definitely want to get a proper external amp for it, because you're probably building an ultra high end system with lots of power.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WTF are you even talking about? Nobody mentioned anything about capacitors. And if you're using a capacitor, then your audio system is using too much power, and your alternator and wiring is the wrong size to supply it.

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about. You on the other hand, are only here to attack and cause trouble in a thread that was already solved before you even commented.

you have no clue, amps have capacitors as part of the circuit..

what you are talking about are cap's that are used in the power line to the amp to save your charging system from a melt down,
you have no clue.. go study up on amps circuits and then come back.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

Originally posted by bonaduce:

Speakers recieved today. As to why am I replacing the head unit, simple answer is I prefer to be able to use my Zune to listen to my music collection, and the kenwood doesn't have the ability to accept line in. As others have said I will most likely get an amp later, time will tell.

dan

I think you are mistaken, if it is controlling a changer it has line in, anyways good luck..
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

E.Furgal

11708 posts
Member since Mar 2012

You wouldn't amplify sound that's already being amplified. I was making a statement about comparing the quality of sound when powered by the internal amplifier of a head unit versus an external amplifier of the same rated power. The internal power supply and amp in an Alpine head unit is going to be the same design if you were to buy an external amp from Alpine that was rated at the same power, WRONGfor the same load; at least, any amp priced at a low end consumer price level (as we are talking about here).WRONG Now, if you were going to spend $10K on a set of ultra high end Focals or something, you'd definitely want to get a proper external amp for it, because you're probably building an ultra high end system with lots of power.

you're a bestbuy installer aren't you..
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

you have no clue, amps have capacitors as part of the circuit..

what you are talking about are cap's that are used in the power line to the amp to save your charging system from a melt down,
you have no clue.. go study up on amps circuits and then come back.

You have no clue. Yes, obviously amps have capacitors as part of the circuit. And there's nothing especially different about those circuits between the internal amp in a head unit, or an external amp. An amplifier in the same class is going to have roughly the same design, regardless of its location, and if produced by the same company, is going to likely have the exact same parts, whether it is internal or external.

Stop adding needless confusion to the thread, and go study reading comprehension, since you're lacking it.

What bonaduce asked was whether an external amp was required for the type of setup and volume levels he wants, and the simple fact is that one is not required, and having one is not going to make the sound any better. All an external amp is going to do for him is waste cabin space, and his time and money. You're already wasting everyone else's time by posting your contradictions in here.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001

You're an ad hominem aficionado aren't you…
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You have no clue. Yes, obviously amps have capacitors as part of the circuit. And there's nothing especially different about those circuits between the internal amp in a head unit, or an external amp. An amplifier in the same class is going to have roughly the same design, regardless of its location, and if produced by the same company, is going to likely have the exact same parts, whether it is internal or external.

Stop adding needless confusion to the thread, and go study reading comprehension, since you're lacking it.

What bonaduce asked was whether an external amp was required for the type of setup and volume levels he wants, and the simple fact is that one is not required, and having one is not going to make the sound any better. All an external amp is going to do for him is waste cabin space, and his time and money. You're already wasting everyone else's time by posting your contradictions in here.

I'm done, as going on is pointless, an internal amp(s) circuit has much smaller capacitors,etc in it.. it will not function like an external amp, even if both are 50watts per channel and both made by say alpine..
AGAIN go study up on circuits and then come back, as you are talking out your ass
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm done, as going on is pointless, an internal amp(s) circuit has much smaller capacitors,etc in it.. it will not function like an external amp, even if both are 50watts per channel and both made by say alpine..
AGAIN go study up on circuits and then come back, as you are talking out your ass

Not pointless. Your point is very clear. You're here to attack others and cause confusion.

Your ears, nor bonaduce's, are going to distinguish any difference between an internal amp vs external amp, for the main channel speakers, and reasonable listening volumes; even if the external amp has capacitors the size of my fist (which they don't). It's hard enough even finding any 4 channel amps rated that low.

All your posts have done in this thread, is to attack me, and to cause confusion for everyone else. I do know what I'm talking about, even if you do not. An external amp is a total waste of money for bonaduce, given his clearly stated requirements.
bonaduce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bonaduceSend a Private Message to bonaduceEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think you are mistaken, if it is controlling a changer it has line in, anyways good luck..

but it is not a 1/8 in jack

[This message has been edited by bonaduce (edited 08-13-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes, the RCA outs are pure audio signal without any power amplification. If you want to use an external amp with a factory head unit (or any head unit which doesn't have RCA signal outputs), you'll need a line output converter, which takes the speaker level outputs and converts them into a suitable RCA output signal. Or you'll need an amp which takes speaker level inputs as well.

the head unit "amp" feeds the speaker wires the rca outputs are not powered from the amp, they are line level.. like a home c/d player that you plug into a receiver ,

if you wire the 4 speakers using the speaker leads from the head unit you'll get the rated power of the head unit.

if you wire the 4 speakers (starting from the head unit) rca outputs to an amp then to speakers, you get the external amps rated power, as the head unit rca's are pre amp outputs, no power from the internal amps, the rca's bypass the internal amps all together..

Thanks, that clarifies it

You guys are both helpful, just dont kill eachother .
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I can see this guy really know his stuff. But if you get too technical others will not understand. Better to keep it simple
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-14-2015 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bonaduce:
but it is not a 1/8 in jack

nope it isn't.. but they make a cable to plug into the 9 pin almost round kenwood and adapts to 3.5mm plug (what you are calling 1/8)
mitchjl22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mitchjl22Send a Private Message to mitchjl22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thats insulting. I'm a bestbuy installer. All bestbuy installers must be MECP certified to work on a vehicle. MECP (Mobile Electronics Certified Professional) certifications are not handed out you have to do quite a bit of research and gain real knowledge on circuits and electronics and such to get one.

-Mitch
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock