2nd Gen Fiero. by zzzhuh
Started on: 08-04-2015 11:06 PM
Replies: 28 (2132 views)
Last post by: jonrev on 08-08-2015 02:58 AM
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I figured I would start a discussion on the 2nd Gen Fiero. In case you aren't up to date, the 2nd gen Fiero was going to be made in 89' and a few prototypes were made. This video below shows/talks about some info on the Fiero: (Skip to 1:11.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pugem0oV5tI

This does seem to beg the question that has been on my mind recently.

If the 2nd gen Fiero HAD been made, would we look at our 1st gen Fieros differently? Would we possibly see them as 'mediocre' compared to the 2nd gen?

The closest thing we can compare it to is the 1st gen MR2 Vs the 2nd gen MR2. The first gen is seen as a "beginning" stage of the MR2, and the 2nd gen is seen as a refined version AKA "better".

Is it possible that if the 2nd gen had been made and kept going for a few years, would it have been seen as the best sports car? Maybe even taking out the Miata, or even greater the Corvette.

It is interesting to imagine what the Fiero would have become in the eyes of the world.

I would love to know what you guys/girls think.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 08-04-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks boring and too much like a Ford Probe compared to the GT. Leave it to GM to take a unique, amazing body design and turn it into a blandmobile.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post08-05-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Looks boring and too much like a Ford Probe compared to the GT. Leave it to GM to take a unique, amazing body design and turn it into a blandmobile.

That is the GT.

Looks nothing like a Ford Probe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Probe

It is amusing how often people say it looks "too much like" some other car that didn't even exist for 3-5 years until after this prototype was meant to start being produced. I'd say the design cues are closer to the Lotus Esprit of the era, than a Ford Probe. The 4th gen F-bodies look like it, because parts of the design were moved over to that platform, when the Fiero got chopped, and the tail lights got shoved into the 91-92 Firebird.

The tail end design definitely looks like it took some hints from the Banshee and CERV III concepts that were being built around the same time as the 90 Prototype. All three borrowed heavily from the Italian side of sports car design at the time.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only change I didnt like was the headlights.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007
Some of it drivng in this vid

jediperk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jediperkSend a Private Message to jediperkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my mind the 1988 models were the second generation Fiero's and most of us do in fact look at them differently...

[This message has been edited by jediperk (edited 08-05-2015).]

zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jediperk:

In my mind the 1988 models were the second generation Fiero's and most of us do in fact look at them differently...

The 2nd gen had a lot going for it. I think the 88 would have been looked at as the "refined 1st gen" but still been 2nd best to the 2nd gen. Just my opinion.
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its nice to see Ed Parks glancing at the 90 Fiero GT in the 1st post.

I miss his technical info and support he offered to me through many years in the 2000s.

Realistically, it was sad for us to see him go. I hope he's enjoying his retirement.

Ed, we miss you !!

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

GTMN

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-05-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTMNSend a Private Message to GTMNEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If the 2nd gen Fiero HAD been made, would we look at our 1st gen Fieros differently? Would we possibly see them as 'mediocre' compared to the 2nd gen?
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it be any different than the introduction of the fastback GT in 86. There will always be those who prefer the original notchback, and those who prefer the fastback style. I suspect, among Fiero enthusiasts, it would have gone the same with the intro of the 90. However, in the eyes of the media and general public, the intro of the 90 would have caused the original notchback styling to be become considered a more "dated" styling. JMHO.
Mark
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since we are talking about the GT, shouldn't we include the base model also? The 2 bottom vehicles in this photo.

The front end reminds me of the latter 4th gen Corvettes a bit.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think these look quite similar. Regardless of which one was supposed to come first but didn't so the other one did but it was second...

I don't like either one. Especially the C pillar line.

PFF
System Bot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think these look quite similar. .

I never did see much probe in the GT, still dont.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-06-2015 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think these look quite similar. Regardless of which one was supposed to come first but didn't so the other one did but it was second...

I don't like either one. Especially the C pillar line.

So Ford made a car that has very few similarities to the '90 Prototype, and you're saying Pontiac was going to make a car that looked like the Ford? Seems you got it backwards.

I've heard/seen a lot of "looks like a 300ZX" when people talk about the 86-88 GT too, but the 300ZX didn't have the same body lines as the Fiero GT until 1989, which clearly came after the Fiero.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All I'm saying is that I don't like the Gen 2 Fiero prototype body lines at all. They remind me of the original Ford Probe, which I didn't like for the same reason.

It has nothing to do with which one was first or which one was never made. Just a plain, simple, "The body lines on these two cars look similar and I don't care for them."

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Seems to have gotten bloated and over styled (as Pontiac started to do by then). Not a fan and glad they didn't make it. Plus, lets face it... you could buy something similar... the camaro/trans am if you wanted the styling.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Seems to have gotten bloated and over styled (as Pontiac started to do by then). Not a fan and glad they didn't make it. Plus, lets face it... you could buy something similar... the camaro/trans am if you wanted the styling.

Years later sure. I wouldnt be surprised if THE main reason Fiero died was actually so they could use the styling for the 93 Fbird and Camaro.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 08-06-2015).]

Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had a Camaro, Mitsubishi 3000GT both had more power but some reason I enjoy driving my 6v Fiero more. I think the 88 Fiero looks far better than the newer one they had planned on. Maybe because it reminds of the Probe, and some of the other GM cars that ended up sort of looking like it. All had that 'girly' look about them or a used bar of soap.
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

I have never seen this one before. I have got to be honest.... I hate it :/

The tail lights look bad and really the whole rear end looks like a 90's version of the 80's cadillac seville with that curve down the back.

The GT I think looks very mean, and would of easily out sold the Corvettes.

As far as it looking like a probe, I get where you are coming from but the Fiero would have lived on.

The probe died because of the name alone...
RAREW66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RAREW66Click Here to visit RAREW66's HomePageSend a Private Message to RAREW66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Keep in mind that the 89/90 Fiero is not a second generation car. It is just a continuation of the same P-1 platform. The P-2 platform was not scheduled until MY1993. The space frame for the P-2 Fiero would have been all new.

Same as the continuation between the first design 84, Aero nothback, Aero Fastback. The 90 Fiero did have some minor changes to the base space frame to support the new headlights, larger spare tire, cowl changes to support automatic HVAC, and the enlarged trunk. Otherwise the space frame was the same as earlier cars. The suspension would have carried through the same as 88 Fiero.

Also, due to delays incurred, the new body style was officially delayed until MY1990. So, MY1989 Fieros would have been the same as MY1988 Fieros with minor trim changes. There is also some information that I recently researched that indicates that the interior that is in the 90 GT would have been produced in to the MY1989 Fiero. Somewhat supporting why the 88 pilot build car I own has a pre-production 90 Fiero interior in it. I have been pressing to find out what the 89 Fiero would have looked like as the entire model year production schedule was completed, they just needed to build the cars.

Fred
weaselbeak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Khw:

Since we are talking about the GT, shouldn't we include the base model also? The 2 bottom vehicles in this photo.

The front end reminds me of the latter 4th gen Corvettes a bit.

So, what is this, a Reatta?

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

So, what is this, a Reatta?

The base coupe, basically the notchback of the next "generation" still based on the P1. But yes, the Reatta is similar in styling as well.

However since the Reatta began sales with the 88 model year, I think the "similarity" is coincidental.
PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

As far as it looking like a probe, I get where you are coming from but the Fiero would have lived on.

The probe died because of the name alone...

I didn't say anything about it looking like a Probe. I said the front, basically hood nose and bumper lights of the latter 4th gen Corvettes resemble it. Probably coincidental, but I guess it's possible they might have used styling ques from it.

[This message has been edited by Khw (edited 08-06-2015).]

Khw

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2015 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Khw

11139 posts
Member since Jun 2008

All I'm saying is that I don't like the Gen 2 Fiero prototype body lines at all. They remind me of the original Ford Probe, which I didn't like for the same reason.

It has nothing to do with which one was first or which one was never made. Just a plain, simple, "The body lines on these two cars look similar and I don't care for them."

I have to be honest, I see more of a resemblance to the gen 2 than the gen 1.

lou

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 04:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for louSend a Private Message to louEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The notchback was to be a 1989 model the GT was to be a 1990 model. Here is a GM video on the body assembly and build procedure that would be followed at the factory for the 1990 Fiero GT.

1990 Fiero assembly GM video

[This message has been edited by lou (edited 08-07-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 07:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't care which came first, the chicken or the egg. All I know is that I think the 89/90 GT looked great! I'd take one, even today.
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

True. but the only reason you could buy a 4th Gen F-body with similar styling was because much of the style work that was done on the 2nd Gen Fiero was incorporated into the 4th Gen F-car after the Fiero's demise. Even the gauge cluster in the 89/90 Prototype looks like it was lifted right out of a 4th gen, but it was built before the 4th gen.

The black sail panel styling was carried over to the Camaro almost verbatim.

jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2015 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
GM was pretty much out of ideas... one can say the 2nd gen Fiero had a big influence, but I believe it was more about the direction that GM was heading with "sporty" cars at the time. Now, elements of the 2nd gen fiero may have made it into production, but that is because this was not a concept car, but pretty close to production. GM borrowed ideas because they were tested and worked. If the 2nd gen fiero stuck around, I don't believe there would have been much difference in the 4th gens... it was GM styling.

Good concept pics in this article: http://ls1tech.com/forums/p...oncept-cars-pix.html

1989 California Concept Camaro:

Released in 1988... Banshee (one can see where some influences are carried over... but... yuck):

Originally posted by Formula88:

True. but the only reason you could buy a 4th Gen F-body with similar styling was because much of the style work that was done on the 2nd Gen Fiero was incorporated into the 4th Gen F-car after the Fiero's demise. Even the gauge cluster in the 89/90 Prototype looks like it was lifted right out of a 4th gen, but it was built before the 4th gen.

The black sail panel styling was carried over to the Camaro almost verbatim.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 08-07-2015).]

dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post08-07-2015 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The concept cars of the era all looked curvy like that. It's just a product of Sci-Fi of the time. Go watch almost any of the sci-fi films from the 80s that took place in the future, and the vehicles in them are all bulbous.

The production prototype Fiero though seemed a bit less so. Then again, it was slated for production, rather than simply a concept.
jonrev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2015 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jonrevClick Here to visit jonrev's HomePageSend a Private Message to jonrevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I had the chance to buy/steal any car desired, it would be that 90 prototype. Would put the original emblem back on, though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock