Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  1990 Fiero emblem story in March HPP 4 pages (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
1990 Fiero emblem story in March HPP 4 pages by hyperv6
Started on: 12-01-2005 11:10 PM
Replies: 49
Last post by: Fierobruiser on 02-16-2007 08:34 PM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2005 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
I just got the copy of the proof on the Department X story on the 1990 Fiero emblems in the 2006 March High Performance Pontiac.

Unless they change things it will be 4 pages long and include a picture of the 1990 Fiero GTP at the POCI show this year, photo's of the various color combos of the emblems that have been found, a picturre of the GM engineering drawing of the emblem, and a picture of the 1990 GTP when it was still flat black and called the Stealth.

Don Keefe wrote the story and did a great job! He truely is a great Pontiac historian and friend of the Fiero.

I also would like to thank Craig Stevens [RED GT] for his photo's of his emblems as they really saved the story. Thes emblems are hard to phot with the chrome backgrounds and Craig got the job done.

If your interested you might want to watch when it is published as it turned out nice. I will post when I get my copy.

Sorry I am not posting the story. I can't post it till after it's published, I hope you understand.

Life goes fast and you just never know what you might find if you look around.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 02:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the heads up!
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 06:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Are you talking about this emblem ?

Can't wait to see the story. Until then, more photo's that "might" (?) be related.

[This message has been edited by CoolBlue87GT (edited 12-02-2005).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 07:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
That is just a the Hole filler, we are talking about the real thing at origianlly used. There are three of these around that we know of and GM does not have those. At this point we are unsure if any more are still around.

This is what the GTP originally used at one point. There is a photo in the story with it on the red car when it was still black.

These are some of the coupe emblems. There are 17 of these around and there is quite a good chance more are out there, There were a 100-150 made. There are pictures of this emblem in red and black on the coupe clay model and the tree coupes on the back lot that were scapped.

I have found most people that had some of these had no idea what they had till I got confirmation from the MFG and GM what they are. When I got the engineering drawing from GM and and the man who did the ID package for the car did it lock it up what they were.

These were made in 86-87 and never got to the final choice in 88. They were made in many different colors since they were samples to use to pick color.

The engineering drawing I recieved was market 1986 as when it was done it was also listed for the 1990 P body no export.

After digging into this it makes me wonder what info has been lost due to people leaving, dying and retirement. It took a year and a half of contact to find the right people and It was good did it then as the guy I needed has just retired.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-02-2005).]

WingNut - MD

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WingNut - MDClick Here to visit WingNut - MD's HomePageSend a Private Message to WingNut - MDDirect Link to This Post
a few more recent pics of the 89/90 from the 2005 Fierorama show.

Saber49

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Saber49Send a Private Message to Saber49Direct Link to This Post
Posts like this still make me wonder... how did our cars come out of the 80's... they belong in the mid to late 90's era... nice pics everyone...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Saber49 (edited 12-02-2005).]

Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saber49:

Posts like this still make me wonder... how did our cars come out of the 80's... they belong in the mid to late 90's era... nice pics everyone...

They were way ahead of their time. Funny thing is, they still look modern. When I drive the 86 GT, people ask me all the time...."Is that the new Pontiac?" I always answer with a smirk, "Not unless it's 1986"

Thanks for sharing all the pics......right click, save as...

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero was at the start of a trend and the 1990 GTP went on to become the 4th Gen F body after it was canceled as a Fiero. Gm lifted the design and even used the same style dash layout as the F body used in 1993.

Other cars were on the leading end of trend in the past. 55 Chevy, 69 GP, 63 Riv, 2nd gen F body, etc. A good styling that is market leading always holds up well. Just there are too few good designs vs really good ones.

Today there is so few good designs that many have to resort to retro looks. The new Mustang and Beetle are the worst offenders. They look good now but will fail as they age and where do they go for updates in the style.

One of the best examples of styling is the 1st Gen MR2 vs 2nd Gen MR2. The first looked old in a year or two but the second used a lot more round shapes like the Fiero GT and it still looks good today and I hate MR2's.

R Runner

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 98
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I know of one more emblem design that is not shown. Possibly an unfinished emblem but I believe it to be complete. As some of you may know I work with some of the Design Release Engineers (DRE's) in the VEC at the GM Tech Center. One of the engineers there worked on the Fiero program exterior and has one of these emblems. He showed it to me a few months ago. It is technically property of GM and cannot be removed from the center. However he is preserving it since he worked on the body for the 1990 and is partial to the car. I have wanted to copy the emblem with one of those plastic replicator kits from Eastwood but have never been in the right place at the right time. My goal was to mount it on the nose of the race car.
Anyway, it looks just like the one in the center (same mold probably was used) but it has a WHITE background. The horse is white on white and the "Fiero GT" is in orange/red as shown. Next time I see him I will ask him if he can confirm the different emblem options. It may be that he only knows about the ones that were close to production.

------------------
Paul

Home Built Tube Chassis IMSA Race Car - 3.8 lb./hp | 1987 Fiero GT 119,xxx, 3.1 motor, HHP swaybar, Full poly
For more IMSA Fiero info: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/789315

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by R Runner:

I know of one more emblem design that is not shown. Possibly an unfinished emblem but I believe it to be complete. As some of you may know I work with some of the Design Release Engineers (DRE's) in the VEC at the GM Tech Center. One of the engineers there worked on the Fiero program exterior and has one of these emblems. He showed it to me a few months ago. It is technically property of GM and cannot be removed from the center. However he is preserving it since he worked on the body for the 1990 and is partial to the car. I have wanted to copy the emblem with one of those plastic replicator kits from Eastwood but have never been in the right place at the right time. My goal was to mount it on the nose of the race car.
Anyway, it looks just like the one in the center (same mold probably was used) but it has a WHITE background. The horse is white on white and the "Fiero GT" is in orange/red as shown. Next time I see him I will ask him if he can confirm the different emblem options. It may be that he only knows about the ones that were close to production.

These were all as close as any to production since it never got to the final decision before it was canceled. It sounds like your friend may have the center one but in a different color combo since they made different colors to try and see what looked best. I always assumed there was some in a different color and you just confirmed it.

Right now the black background and red horse was the one used on the 1990 cars and clay models in any of the pictures I have seen. The blue print also list the same black and red combo. I was told nothing was final when the car was canceled so there may not be any set color that was the final choice. But I think they did like the black based ones best based on use.

If you can get a picture of his, or if he could send one to me I would love to see it!! I have not seen that color combo before.

I know with 100-150 made there some GM desk or a drawer in the home of a Dott Industry employee that has some of the missing emblems. Two of mine came form former a former Dott employee and the rest came from Dott industries directly.

At this time I know were 20 are and hope to record where others are found. Now with this new GT it is 21.

Thanks for the heads up on the one at GM!

R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post
I'll try to find out more information. He was very much a part of the exterior group that did the design release. I have held the emblem and I must say it is really cool! I'll see what I can find out. Maybe we can find another contact and locate more of these emblems.

Paul

PFF
System Bot
R Runner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for R RunnerSend a Private Message to R RunnerDirect Link to This Post

R Runner

3678 posts
Member since Feb 2003
Hyperv6....... you have a PM
paced84

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paced84Send a Private Message to paced84Direct Link to This Post
I found this at a swap meet in May. This is only a a plastic thin emblem. However when I got this one a fellow was in front of me and had solid thick one. I only paid .25 for it.
Ron
Indy pace car ( full strobes as original Indy)

[This message has been edited by paced84 (edited 12-02-2005).]

turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by paced84:

I found this at a swap meet in May. This is only a a plastic thin emblem. However when I got this one a fellow was in front of me and had solid thick one. I only paid .25 for it.
Ron
Indy pace car ( full strobes as original Indy)

Ron,

I think this is the one your refering to.

It's some kind of vinyl or nylon about 2.0mm (1/8") thick. Found it in a box with a whole bunch of other car emblems at the Bob Sellers show at Springfield Oaks. It's pretty beat up with some scratches and it's slightly warped. I think I paid 50 cents. I saw the one you got in the box too, but passed on it when I saw this one. The one you have is pretty thin (0.5mm) and appeared to possibly be a mylar/vinyl sticker at one time. They were certainly interesting finds.

Todd

GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

I have one of these, if you'd like pics of any other angles, or pics of the back.

edited to add: now that I think about it, you were probably the one who told me what the emblem was after I bought it.

[This message has been edited by GT86 (edited 12-03-2005).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 06:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by GT86:

I have one of these, if you'd like pics of any other angles, or pics of the back.

edited to add: now that I think about it, you were probably the one who told me what the emblem was after I bought it.

I was the one and and of the 3 mentioned in the story yours is one that was counted as one of the 3 known.

There is one other in Michigan that we know of and now it looks like a 4th at GM now.

I expect we will hear about more emblems after the story is out. I find that of the 20 total emblems we have found few know what they have.

If you can post some photo's that would be great!

GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Thanks very much for the info you provided awhile back, you had some really interesting stuff there.

The lighting (not to mention my photography) wasn't very good, but:

From the side

The back

And side by side with the production GT emblem

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2005 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
I have a strange version of the Fiero emblem... If anyone knows about it...

It looks similar to the stock FIERO emblem but its CROME metal with a painted look to the dark areas. I dont have a digi cam to get pics of it but if anyone is really interested then i can take it to Mikees and get a pic?!?

GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2005 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

I have a strange version of the Fiero emblem... If anyone knows about it...

It looks similar to the stock FIERO emblem but its CROME metal with a painted look to the dark areas. I dont have a digi cam to get pics of it but if anyone is really interested then i can take it to Mikees and get a pic?!?

Anything like this, but maybe in black?

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
Yes exactly like that.... whats it from?
GT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 06:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by The Fieromaster:

Yes exactly like that.... whats it from?

I'm not sure where they came from, I think they were some sort of novelty thing. Kind of like the keychains and hat pins. I see them all the time on ebay--that's where I got the two I have. One's red and one's black. They're actually fairly nice, they look a lot better in person than they do in the pictures.

PFF
System Bot
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 07:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
They are only aftermarket items and were not made by Pontiac. I have seen two colors offerd on e bay at something like $9.95.

I also heard they look better in person.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-06-2005).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Paul here is the emblem you need for your race car.

This was used on the Spice GTP light race cars and was or near stock size. I have not seen these since the cars were still race in the 80's at the Mid Ohio IMSA race.

turbotoad I hope this helps as this is a GM drawing of the emblem you have posted. I don't have much back ground but would assume it was a proposal that they drew up and made a few pieces for clay models and such. I would say it is a good find and one to hang onto.

Both emblem drawings were provided by GM while I was digging up info on the 1990 emblems.
I can't post it here because of it's size but in the magazine artical they will have a picture of the engineering drawing that I have that is 4 foot by 4 foot Approx. In the story it looks so small but it is larger than poster size.

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2005 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

hyperv6

6001 posts
Member since Mar 2003
Also in my digging I was shown some of GM's art that was used in the story posted above. The originals had notes about the car for at that time were called 1989.

Sorry but I have the others too but they are not resized for the web and I am having problems with my photo program right now. When I get tit worked out I will post them later.

The Fieromaster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FieromasterSend a Private Message to The FieromasterDirect Link to This Post
do you think you could e-mail me a larger version of the GTP logo... I want to use that with my car
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
PM me and I will send you the scan I have on the computer. The originals GM sent were on reular printer paper.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Scott,

Congratulations on getting your story published! I've seen your collection and it's quiet impressive. I can't wait for the article to come out next year, when I can say, "hey I know him!"

Good work. perserverance pays off!

Rick

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:

Scott,

Congratulations on getting your story published! I've seen your collection and it's quiet impressive. I can't wait for the article to come out next year, when I can say, "hey I know him!"

Good work. perserverance pays off!

Rick

Thanks I will be signing autographs from 12:00 to 12:15 at the Sheets Gas station at Main and Waterloo on JAN 3. [Ha Ha ha} I have to make the most of my 15 min of fame!

On a serious note you left out luck and being at the right place at the right time too.

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 12-07-2005).]

Scurvy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2005 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ScurvySend a Private Message to ScurvyDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone else think some of those drawings look like the 1st generation of Eclipse/Talon?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2005 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post
bump
88GTFormula

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2006 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTFormulaSend a Private Message to 88GTFormulaDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
So does this story had finally be published in High Perf Pontiac March 2006?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by perry rhodan:

So does this story had finally be published in High Perf Pontiac March 2006?

Not too sure what you mean here.

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Your story...maybe I didnt understand....but you told in your first message that an article will be published about Dept X and various Fiero emblems in High Performance Pontiac magazine (march 2006)...and I'm asking if the article had finally appeared in this edition of HPP. I've missed this one...so I just want to be sure I will order the correct back issue. Are you able to confirm this?

[This message has been edited by perry rhodan (edited 02-13-2007).]

Nurb432

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
User on Probation

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Nurb432Send a Private Message to Nurb432Direct Link to This Post
I prefer fastbacks, but i like that coupe mockup.. first time ive seen that.. Any one got any other pictures of it?
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Your story...maybe I didnt understand....but you told in your first message that an article will be published about Dept X and various Fiero emblems in High Performance Pontiac magazine (march 2006)...and I'm asking if the article had finally appeared in this edition of HPP. I've missed this one...so I just want to be sure I will order the correct back issue. Are you able to confirm this?

Yes it is in the March 2006 issue.

Sorry if I was not connecting here. I just was was not awake when I read this.

I hope you like the story I was shock they wanted to print it..

perry rhodan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for perry rhodanClick Here to visit perry rhodan's HomePageSend a Private Message to perry rhodanDirect Link to This Post
Nice! I will go to my newstand to order it.
ARKaiser

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ARKaiserSend a Private Message to ARKaiserDirect Link to This Post
MARCH 2006 ISSUE !!!

Sorry for yelling but it took me a 10 min. to make my wife understand that this was an old post revived.

Just to add another cool "Fiero" emblem to the mix ...

This really is from a 1971 Firebird Pegasus but it fits well as a Fiero piece.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2007 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Direct Link to This Post

Nice! I will go to my newstand to order it.

I think you may be best off just ordering direct from HPP's web site. It would be faster and cheaper for any back issue.

They should ship to Canada.
Hurricane

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2007 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HurricaneSend a Private Message to HurricaneDirect Link to This Post
can somebody scan the article and post it here? or send me a copy and ill scan it
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock