Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  88 GT poor condition but what is it worth?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
88 GT poor condition but what is it worth? by 2tone86gt
Started on: 07-11-2015 08:59 PM
Replies: 17 (511 views)
Last post by: 2tone86gt on 07-12-2015 02:58 PM
2tone86gt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there everyone. I would like to see if any of you guys can give me an idea what this 88 GT is worth in the condition I describe to you. 6 years ago I asked a lady if she would sell her little red 88 GT and she said no. A couple days ago I decided to stop in and try again. She finally said yes and was taking offers. The car has lived its entire life outside in the elements under a pine tree. So I checked it over and here are some of the things I've noticed: I found dead mice in the front compartment along with stuffing that i'm guessing was a nest. Bird feed scattered in the luggage/ engine compartment (guessing the mice were in there too). Deck lid seal gave out there was a cup of water in the trunk area. Was repainted once but is peeling off. Weather strip around windshield is coming out. Dash has minor cracking. The console separated like just about every other fiero. All in all the interior was the best of shape compared to the rest of it. Headliner was OK and she said the sunroof doesn't leak. I believe her cuz it didn't smell moldy. However when I checked the fluids there was no coolant in the engine side cap Which means there's air in the sytem. Was some in reservoir but it was cloudy and had some of the muddy looking crap in the bottom of it. There was coolant under the rad cap when I dipped my finger in. Her husband says it has a vacuum leak somewhere and it's missing on a few cylinders. I noticed somebody used splice connectors of the non weather variety and made a ground and put it under a upper plenum bolt.... why you ask? your guess is as good as mine but I bet that's why there's a vaccum leak. If you ground anything it should be to the body but hey what do I know. It also looked like it hasn't had a tune up since 94. It's out of inspection also. The woman also told me it has had wiring issues before that was fixed because of the mice. There is 83k miles on the car and it is a 5 speed, never wrecked however it has done a lot of sitting in its day. I was thinking of offering her 2 grand but I don't wanna low ball her either. Anybody have an idea what is a fair offer or am I close considering the condition it is in?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was told the battery needed charged so I didn't get to hear it run yet but I would like to see if it is burning any oil or coolant while watching the exhaust.
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you check the oil. Does it look like any coolant mixed with it? Is it chocolate mile color? How is the clutch? Does it feel like the throw out bearing is sticking? How is the steering? 2 grand sounds high to me as the car sounds like it has Problems,
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by solotwo:

2 grand sounds high to me as the car sounds like it has Problems,

I agree. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it and I'm going that high because it has a Getrag. Also, being in PA and sitting outside it may have rust issues too. Make sure to check the trunk corners and/or crawl underneath it to check out the frame rails.

I hate pushing someone away from Fiero ownership, especially an '88 GT, but you will likely spend more money getting it sorted than it will ever be worth. You would be money ahead by buying a better car to begin with.....even if it costs a bit more. Unless you get it for a great price (i.e. under $1000) you should pass on it.

[This message has been edited by mrfiero (edited 07-11-2015).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfiero:
I agree. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for it and I'm going that high because it has a Getrag. Also, being in PA and sitting outside it may have rust issues too. Make sure to check the trunk corners and/or crawl underneath it to check out the frame rails.

I hate pushing someone away from Fiero ownership, especially an '88 GT, but you will likely spend more money getting it sorted than it will ever be worth. You would be money ahead by buying a better car to begin with.....even if it costs a bit more. Unless you get it for a great price (i.e. under $1000) you should pass on it.

This.
I agree with Every. Word.

This car sounds like an expensive project, if not a parts car. The mouse "stuff" and wiring issues would cap it off for me. Even if it's not rusted to death.
Pictures would help, but probably not much, in this case.

Sorry. I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2 grand? no way.
if you're gonna pay that much I have an 86 with no motor and no body panels that you can buy! XD

Like they said, $1000 tops, even that is too high with what I'm sure will be tons of problems that you haven't even considered yet
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The oil just looked typical black and could use a change didn't look like anything was getting in the oil. I was still wanting to see it run first before i write it off but ya i would say the mice thing bothered me too. Theres an 87 round here with 60k and i can get it for 3500 and it has a 5 spd getrag. The console isnt seperated either and i believe it was probably garaged at one point to have the interior in the nice shape that it is but i was mainly into the 88 for the better suspension.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2tone86gt

230 posts
Member since Oct 2014
So i take it 88s are only valuable if theyre garaged and with low miles?
Formula88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2tone86gt:

No, but anything that's trashed isn't worth much.

http://www.paulvargyas.com/Price%20Guide.htm
It sounds like it'll need a lot of work to get up to the "Fair" rating. Electrical problems can be a nightmare to deal with.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 07-12-2015).]

Horse

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 04:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HorseSend a Private Message to HorseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That has been my experience. It is not too difficult to find a low mileage GT for a reasonable price, I just bought an 88 5 speed with 27,000 for $5200 that was garaged all of its life. The original asking price was $8000 but after months of not selling and the owner getting tired of people constantly calling him to talk about the car and not buying it he took my offer. I find that most 88s are over priced and I don't see them bringing high prices. I would have bought an 86 or 87 GT in the same condition for the same price as the interior is much nicer in those than plain interiors in the 88s. I don't find that the suspension and brakes on the 88s are that much better than the earlier years both are lame compared to modern cars and I would much rather modify them to exceed the performance of the stock components. My last GT was a 1987 with bigger brakes, lowered suspension and larger wheels and tires and it can out perform my 88.
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Both of my GTs have high mileage, but have been over maintained and I know no one would pay anything close to what I have put into the cars. I just dropped $1500 into my 88 for a whole bunch of work including a new AC system and replacement of TPS, fix 32 code, 22 code, tune up and more.

My 87 GT has about 156K miles on the clock and still runs great and averages 30+ mpg over the road.

Since I don't beat on the cars and have been garaged stored for the past 10 years, they still look great.

Cars are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
PFF
System Bot
Quad Raider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Quad RaiderSend a Private Message to Quad RaiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We all agree 2 grand is too much. But we'll disagree on whether you should pass on this car. It depends on what you want. If you want a car you can soon drive with minimum fuss, this one isn't a good candidate. If you don't mind a project and the expense it will involve, then offer $800 and see what she says.

As far as the '88 model year goes, it may have been the best year for the car, but parts are harder to find.
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the comments guys. I figured rodents in the car would kinda kill the price down some. If the guy gets a battery ill see the condition while its running and determine what is fair. If she thinks its not theres still an 87 round here that is in fair condition with 60k that i may get instead.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Poor physical condition & poor running condition, I wouldn't spend more than $500 on it. It's going to be a lot of work, & a lot of money.
no2pencil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

no2pencil

1523 posts
Member since Oct 2009
How far are you from Kentucky? Might be worth looking at an alternative.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's quite a wide spectrum of prices/conditions ranging from low-mileage, garage-kept showroom fresh cars all the way down to mouse-eaten, water-in-trunk, hacked wiring, no coolant basket cases that don't even run.

Keep looking. There are better cars out there.

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it's worth investigating if:
The drivetrain is in good , solid condition.
Rust is at a minimum.
Price is low (under $1000 or lower depending on your final analysis )
You don't mind a project and have time to do it.
Little things can be fixed over time....interior pieces, tune-ups, etc)

Let's face it, Fiero's tend to be abused animals, kind of like the ones
you see at the local animal shelter. Somebody has got to rescue them.
Kit
2tone86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2tone86gtSend a Private Message to 2tone86gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think im leaning more towards the 87 i found. Its more money but I can drive it with out worrying bout it giving reliability issues. Ill still look at the 88 after its running with a battery then make an offer. If somebody wants to pay more they can have it then. I can always just find an 88 cradle with the suspension components and swap it in down the road.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock