Automatic transmission controllers? by fierofinatic84se
Started on: 04-23-2015 04:33 PM
Replies: 16 (383 views)
Last post by: dobey on 05-04-2015 09:06 AM
fierofinatic84se

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was looking at a 'new' swap idea, was wanting to do my part in honoring Cadillac for taking over the performance of GM, since Pontiac is gone and I know the Northstar engine is a popular swap for the fiero, however, now Chevrolet performance, and jegs.com, have shown off their new LSA engine from the cts-v with its own standalone computer for use in hot rods and such, in other words, perfect for a fiero, but if this were to be hooked up to a built 4t65e, what what you need to control the transmission since the engine is standalone, any recommendations for this? Any controllers up for the task? Are there any controls for the longitudinal transmissions that would cross over?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfred8

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfred8Click Here to visit mrfred8's HomePageSend a Private Message to mrfred8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing to note is that Archie's LSx kit is not currently available for automatics, so you will likely need to make a custom adapter plate. I don't know if he's gotten anywhere further with producing a kit for the auto, so might be worth a call to verify what parts of his kits you can and can't use for an auto swap. PCS also now has a controller for the newer 6t75-E transmissions that might be an interesting route to go if you want an auto.

So far the only 6 speed auto swap in a Fiero that I know of is Dan at PCS that did one as a test platform for the controller, with an LS2.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000136.html
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Will the 6t75 hold up to 560 ft lbs torque?
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofinatic84se:

Will the 6t75 hold up to 560 ft lbs torque?

I'm sure it will if you get a shop to build one that will. The stock 4t65 won't hold up either of course.

Here's a couple performance 6t75 build options that I found with a quick search:

http://www.importperformanc...ansmission-4338.html
http://www.smartpartsauto.c...75-transmission.html

I'm not sure what they are rated to handle after the upgrades though. Might be worth calling to find out, to compare with what you might get with a built 4t65.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-23-2015 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

dobey

11572 posts
Member since Sep 2001
Oh, and for an OEM controller for the 4t65E, you could probably use a TCM from an Impala SS/Grand Prix GXP/Monte Carlo SS with the LS4, as those came with a 4t65E and had a separate TCM from the ECM. The e38 ECM (which I think the LSA kit is using) should be able to communicate with the TCM, if you can figure out the wiring and programming needed.
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For the oem, I thought about that, isn't there something funny about the starter on those v8/4t65e combos and I wasn't sure if the harness would have additional inputs for the supercharger or not, and I don't mind fabrication work but, not a fan of custom wiring harnesses
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am using a old Tci trans controller on my swap. It is made by PCS.
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2015 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For the oem, I thought about that, isn't there something funny about the starter on those v8/4t65e combos and I wasn't sure if the harness would have additional inputs for the supercharger or not, and I don't mind fabrication work but, not a fan of custom wiring harnesses

The LS4 4t65e has the starter on the transmission side, yes, but that does not go through the TCM harness. I don't think there's any extra wiring in the harness for the blower on the LSA engine, as I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any extra sensors or switches to deal with. Even so, those wouldn't replace the connections for the trans controller on the ECM side, I don't think.

I am not sure how usable that TCM is with the e38 ECM though, so there might be challenges there as well.

[This message has been edited by dobey (edited 04-24-2015).]

fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, i wish I could get an LFA engine, but I think those are kinda rare, and probably expensive, jk, I know what you mean
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-24-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lol, i wish I could get an LFA engine, but I think those are kinda rare, and probably expensive, jk, I know what you mean

Hah, yeah. Though the LSA isn't cheap either. So much talk about the LSx and LFx engines lately, I just crossed a couple wires.
PFF
System Bot
fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lol, i was originally thinking about doing a turbo 3800, I wanted to push about 500 ponies, and after working up the cost it's about the same, and I'll have a Cadillac engine that isn't a Northstar, I didn't realize that the 6t75 was workable, last I had heard they were having trouble but I haven't kept a close eye on it by any means, I imagine that if I decide to just do the 3800 I can probably more easy get away with the 6t75, I emailed one of the 6t75 builders to see what's possible, but from the research I've done, without a generous splashing of torque management, it looks like 350 ft lbs of torque is about the limit of the 6t75, but like I said I'm waiting to hear back, I think zzp still makes the 1 inch racing chain for the 4t65 if not, so that's always an option
radrace19

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for radrace19Send a Private Message to radrace19Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using the PCS TCM-2000 along with a set of their paddle shifters. That makes driving the car pretty fun
3800 and the 4T65e
-Greg

[This message has been edited by radrace19 (edited 04-28-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It may be a bit off the subject but I have an eight speed auto in my Chrysler 300 and its nothing short of great. Here is a 4000 lb family sedan with a small 290 HP V6 that does 0-60 in 6 seconds and gets an honest 31 hwy MPG. In contrast my 3800SC with the 4T65eHD with comparable power is faster but gets 27 hwy MPG. A wider selection of v6 auto swaps available for a Fiero may take things to the next level. As for choice of transmission with the LSA, a stand alone controller appears to be the only option. Add it all up and you are talking one expensive swap. Is a Fiero worth pouring $15K into it?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 04-29-2015).]

fierofinatic84se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinatic84seSend a Private Message to fierofinatic84seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is a Fiero worth pouring $15K into it?

Believe me, when it's done, I might as well have bought a new 'vette it's gonna be in project, but it's mostly for the joy of it
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PCM Controller here: ZZ4 / 4T65E 86GT

Vince
dobey

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-04-2015 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

It may be a bit off the subject but I have an eight speed auto in my Chrysler 300 and its nothing short of great. Here is a 4000 lb family sedan with a small 290 HP V6 that does 0-60 in 6 seconds and gets an honest 31 hwy MPG. In contrast my 3800SC with the 4T65eHD with comparable power is faster but gets 27 hwy MPG. A wider selection of v6 auto swaps available for a Fiero may take things to the next level. As for choice of transmission with the LSA, a stand alone controller appears to be the only option. Add it all up and you are talking one expensive swap. Is a Fiero worth pouring $15K into it?

Eh. An LSA alone that makes 570 lbs-ft of torque is going to be $15k. Some low mile stock cars are selling for $15k as well. The Fiero is just a chassis. If you want a different body or drive train, it's going to cost money. Add up all the time you spent in labor doing your 3800 swap, and see how much it would have cost you at your hourly labor rate. I'm sure it adds up to probably at least $10k, if not 15.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock