Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Just picked up an 87 SE basket case (Page 1)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Just picked up an 87 SE basket case by 78_elky
Started on: 04-02-2015 06:31 PM
Replies: 364 (10442 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 11-26-2019 06:53 PM
78_elky

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So last week I was pretty happy to have a big frame off project on my El Camino; and then I went on craigslist and found a Fiero for so little money I couldn't pass it up. I have to say I will be happy to have a nice daily driver when I am done with it but it is kind of daunting at this point. I have always loved these little cars, most of my experience with them is seeing them at junkyards but I always thought they were cool. This particular car is pretty rough and I am hoping it isn't as rusty as I fear but even if it is I will deal with that as I come to that point. My plan is to get it back kind of road worthy to get it licensed then maybe do more and then get it back on the road.

This is what I saw that got me hooked. I have no idea what is wrong with me. It was even worse when I got to the place to look at it.

But I bought it despite all this and got it home (had to unload it from the flat bed using a floor jack)
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
So hopefully when this is done I can have a backup for my little S10.

As you can see the wheel wasn't really centered (the guy had lost most all the hardware for the suspension that he had taken apart). I got it all back together at least enough to push it around. Also what does that marker light screw into? The holes are huge so there must be a speed nut of some kind missing I would think.

I went to the junkyard and got most of my parts (and ordered even more); and I just found a guy parting another car so I'm talking with him to get a lot of the pieces I'm missing or that are destroyed. The previous owner pulled the cradle and kind of reattached it because the exhaust was leaking and then got hurt and never really put it back together (for 4 years).

My plan is to get the brakes back on the car with new pads and rotors; attach all the suspension back to where it goes and do a rough alignment; hook all the engine hoses back on and install the throttle body; and lastly fab a battery tray because mine is completely rusted into nothing.

Oh and lots of cleaning

Thanks for looking and I have already found a ton of info on this site, its amazing!
Jessica

[This message has been edited by 78_elky (edited 05-01-2017).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum, its nice to see a Fiero saved from the scrapper. You will have a lot of fun fixing it up and like you said there is a lot of help available on this forum.
turbo86se

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbo86seSend a Private Message to turbo86seEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the site and congrats on the good find! Doesn't look too bad, but what is it going to need?
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ive bought them worse off then that ! Welcome to the site!!! I have a 68 Elky I need to get to eventually.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm... Jessica... I don't think there are a lot of Fiero rehabilitators named Jessica... Good luck & be prepared for lots of advice!
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With all those latex gloves... any hypodermics in there too?

You're brave for taking all that on
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome and congrats!

Just post in the PFF mall for parts you need but can't find.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the warm invite everyone!

I got a pic of the car this morning and its looking a little sad

So far the project has just been pulling things apart to figure out what all I need to get or make or do. The car is from Alaska by way of the Washington Coast I think. Either way its sticky and gross inside and pretty darn rusty outside (and inside). I've kind of got a plan on what to do to get it moving so I can limp it to the DMV and get the title transferred. In Oregon you have to take the car so they can do a vin inspection if its from out of state :-/

I've ordered new pads and rotors as well as bearings and rear hubs and lug nuts because most of those were missing. I've tracked down all the hardware I need to get the back end attached and I'll just do a rough alignment (I have less than 10 miles to drive). I'm still short that weird sleeve thing that should hold the parking brake cables together but I think I know where to get one. After the car is in my name I'll go ahead and pull the suspension to put new ball joints tie rods and bushings in it. I might do shocks and struts but it depends on the price. Also some used wheels and tires are on the list because the price I was quoted for new 14" tires was insane. It was as much as I paid for big wide BFG T/A tires on my El Camino.

I'm buying a couple new doors (my passenger side is dented around the handle) a hood (mine has really bad gel coat problems) and new sail panel trim pieces. I'm also going to get a new dash that doesn't have a crack near the drivers door corner and a GT wheel. The only body parts I'm going to have to do any work on will be the deck lid (its got some gouges near the louvers) and the roof around the sunroof has a gel coat problem and you can see the fibers coming up. I had thought of painting the car with some spray cans but now I'm planning to wrap the car with green vinyl because I'd like to try it and I already have 2 black cars and need something different. As for the interior I'll know more once I get in there and give it a good cleaning; but I think I may get new carpet at this point.

Jessica

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the forum
Have you checked for bad rust, such as in the frame? Looked under the trunk carpet yet? You mentioned it had some rust.
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi Jessica, Welcome! The guys here were awesome helping me fix up my (originally red) 1987 SE, and so nice.. We're here for you. The other Jessica.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with your endeavors!
I almost bought a similar car, about a year ago. (Medium red is about my favorite color on a Fiero. Add that to an aero notchie - like yours - and it's nearly a slam dunk.)
The main reason I didn't was because it had an automatic.
I've gone to enough trouble, converting two other cars to manual, that I've started passing up the automatics, even if they're "keepers", otherwise.
PFF
System Bot
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Welcome to the forum
Have you checked for bad rust, such as in the frame? Looked under the trunk carpet yet? You mentioned it had some rust.

The previous owner had the whole drive train cradle out and he media blasted it and painted/under coated it. The rails under the car look Ok as does the trunk from the inside. The inner fender area under the battery is bad, but I dont know the true extent until I start stripping backcthe rust and paint. There isn't a battery box left it's just one rusty side piece. The metal trim with rubber bumpers in between the trunk hood and bumper is Rusted away. All the exposed metal in the cabin and doors has surface rust even. And I honestly haven't looked under the front sub frame yet.

To me the pressing issues are getting all the cradle; engine mounts; rear suspension; and brakes figured out and safe. Then I'll try to make sense of the hoses under the hood and reattach the exhaust he cobbled together and see how that works. Then I guess I'll regroup and see where it leaves me (Probably buying tires/wheels)

Cleaning the car did get me $4.53 and that's my record for most loose change found :-)

Jessica
BrittB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrittBSend a Private Message to BrittBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just sent you a pm, possible parts source near you.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/065189.html

[This message has been edited by BrittB (edited 04-04-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just sent you a pm, possible parts source near you.
]https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../065189.html

Thanks, I have to look into that. There is a guy I'm dealing with in Vancouver right now with some parts so I've got a line on a lot of what I need but its still up in the air what all he needs to keep for his kit car fauxrarri...

I have been continuing to pull things out just to see if I can find a good starting point. Like pulling back layers of an old onion to see if anything is good in the center. Luckily I've found some good things, the floors are seemingly solid (at least what I've looked at looks brand spanking new). The front truck now latches thanks to the new latch and cable I got. I also was able to remove both the torsion bars and I am planning to get some gas shocks for the deck lid.

I cleaned and scrubbed the interior carpet and seats and now they look good and don't smell!

My pile of parts is growing but I'm hopefully going to have a really nice driver once I'm done with all this

I also pulled the dash and hopefully the steering wheel today or tomorrow so I can install the new used ones I'm getting.

I'm going to replace both doors with much less rusty ones and I think I'll just gut the red ones and keep the power accessories as spares. The hood will also be replaced with one that doesn't have any body work issues. Mine has some very large holes that go pretty deep into the fiberglass mat. They are also very mossy, because Oregon.

I was looking down in the engine bay the other day and also noticed that the front drivers side lower trailing arm (sub frame mount) isn't bolted in, it has a bolt there but it is completely backed out and its not at all attached. So I'm going to be going over the car with a fine toothed comb to make sure everything is right before I drive it.

Jessica

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2015 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Holy cow! You're going through this thing fast! I'm feeling like an incompetent slug about now. Most of my work is contemplation & planning.

Since I'll likely never seethe car, keep posting progress & pics.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Holy cow! You're going through this thing fast! I'm feeling like an incompetent slug about now. Most of my work is contemplation & planning.

Since I'll likely never seethe car, keep posting progress & pics.

To be honest I'm kind of feeling like the project has stalled because I'm waiting for parts to arrive so I can put it back together. Not to derail the thread but my other project is a '78 El Camino that is getting a 6.0L LS engine with an LS3 top end a 4L80e trans and a 9" rear. Right now I just got the 12" LS1 Camaro disc brakes and 9" rear under the car. The next part is to replace the floor pans. So that seems like a lot of work to me, and I've been putting in a few hours here and there on the fiero to get it just kind of together so I can limp it to DMV to do the VIN inspection and then I won't feel like I'm doing work on a car that isn't even mine yet.

Here is a semi recent shot of the elky.
And one of the engine just because I think its pretty

I'm picking up a hood, a drivers side door, a new dash, a gt steering wheel and maybe some other bits and pieces today. The brakes I ordered came yesterday but they sent me '88 rotors...the vents were a dead giveaway so I'm waiting for replacements now.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2015 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So yesterday I picked up my parts and I'm still slammed at work so I've not gotten any time to work on the car. I am hoping I can get some time this Friday or Sunday to do a little bit.

I got new un-cracked side panels a GT steering wheel and my new rear hubs arrived along with the TB gasket. Which I can not believe was so hard to find locally. In fact one parts store told me its discontinued; so I ordered 2.

I also got the dash, and it doesn't have any cracks that I can see. I am going to dye it a different grey but I'm still pretty thrilled its so nice. It also has some decent speakers (unfortunately still 4x10) so thats an upgrade from the stock delco ones in my original dash.

I also got the hood and other door along with the power mirror switch and plug, I'll have to make up most of the harness but it should be easy if I decide to use the power mirrors on this car.

I'm looking at a set of 16" subaru wheels and tires this weekend so I'm thinking I'll take the hub with me to be sure they are right; and if they are that'll mean no more flat tires!

The only other trim I need but don't have is the console skeleton and a less moldy headliner/visors. But that may not be too hard to figure out on my own. I also still need to sort out the battery tray.

Jessica

[This message has been edited by 78_elky (edited 04-08-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got a few minutes to work on the car between rain and mowing the lawn so I tried to be really efficient. I also got a new set of louvers for the deck lid with all the tabs intact but they are missing two of the screws. I'll have to figure something out I guess, or just run one screw on each for a bit.

The GT wheel is installed; I looked under the dash and saw a lot more surface rust than I'd like to see on the bottom of the column so I think it'll be coming out in the near future but its easier to install the wheel in the car.

then as the rain started to fall I got the idea to really see what to do about the battery tray and all that mess. Here is the aftermath of pulling the sound and heat shielding mat out.

Its not exactly what I would call great. the metal around the hole is pretty solid, the main frame rail is solid still and the area that attaches to the fender is more or less intact its just what was under the battery that is missing. So I am thinking I will cut out the worst of it and use some rust converter on the stuff I can't cut out and then seal up the whole thing and leave the hole (but a lot less jagged and ugly) as an air intake much like on the drivers side. I plan to buy new side scoops at some point so it will even be a little functional. I'll just have to weld up a battery tray out of angle iron or something. I am a little concerned about the metal that attaches to the firewall. Hopefully the rust doesn't turn out to be much worse than what I can see right now.

Jessica
bjc 350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2015 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bjc 350Send a Private Message to bjc 350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second BrittB's endorsement of Lucas as a used parts option. His prices are pretty good. That area under the battery tray looks like a bit of work, but doable. Great to see others want to save the Fiero from the wrecking yard, too!
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2015 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bjc 350:

I second BrittB's endorsement of Lucas as a used parts option. His prices are pretty good. That area under the battery tray looks like a bit of work, but doable. Great to see others want to save the Fiero from the wrecking yard, too!

Yeah as I get further into the project I'll probably have to give him a call on the parts I really can't find anywhere else or repair. I am going to try and repair my destroyed console skeleton soon (maybe this weekend if I find some free time). Also i need to dye the dash and door panels I bought so I can start to put some of the interior back together. I've really not had any time to work on the car. I did clean up that rust and spray some rust converter on it last night, but then I had to leave and I honestly don't know how it turned out yet. One nice thing is that I've been dealing with a very reasonable guy on the parts I have bought. I paid $40 for the hood and $40 each for the complete doors with the door panels and they are power everything doors, so either way I just picked up spare motors and actuators for cheap.

I should have some time to devote to it tonight after work and Sunday so I'm hoping that I can get some good progress made.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I got a couple hours of work done Friday and I spent all day Sunday working on the car. I built a battery tray and I cleaned up and painted the rust on the passenger side. I also discovered that the passenger side cradle rail was welded and now has a plate running the entire length from the "axle" to the front mount

Most of the rust cut out.

Kind of where I want the battery to be.

The start of a battery tray; and its just junk that I had in the garage. So yay for free parts.

I think it fits pretty well for not really measuring anything...

Then I cleaned up most of the welds I could get to and painted it with some self etch primer.

Then I sealed it up with some black chassis paint.

I also cleaned, rust converter-ed, primed, and painted over the surface rust on the car.

There was one tiny rust spot on the side of the trunk so I did the same to that one as well.

Then I worked on the rear calipers because they are off the car right now.

Saturday I was able to pick up some wheels and tires for the car, at least now its not so much of an eyesore in the driveway.

Luckily its all just plasti-dip pink

I think its a huge improvement, and the center caps won't work so I won't have a Subaru logo on the car
Sunday I tackled the rear of the car...

Now I'm still short a few things but I put it back together so I could see how it all looked.

I am missing the pinch bolts for the lower ball joint; as well as the seal on the back of the spindle/knuckle I also don't have any nuts for the front cradle bolts and the vibration damping engine mount is missing the through bolt and looks trashed. I also noticed the TPS on the replacement throttle body that came with the car was missing so I need to get some new screws to hold that on.

So I'm going to try and get all the hardware today so I can get it all back together when my new rotors and pads arrive.

Then as it was getting late I decided to switch gears and I disassembled the dash and sprayed it the right grey to match my interior pieces.

I still have to spray my new door panels but I'm getting closer; but I'm sure I'll find something else wrong before I get too far.

Jessica

Almost forgot to post a picture of it with the new wheels on!

PFF
System Bot
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got these in the mail and should have them on the car this weekend. I decided I like having a parking brake and honestly I'll see how the stock Fiero system works before I do a bigger brake swap. I got a full set with pads so it should at least look cool

Is this common with these cars? I've not seen rust on a steering column like this before.

And I've got the dash back in and some of the other parts as well. I'm happy to report it is all very clean and less gross than it was when I took it all out.

I wanted to get the throttle body back on the engine but it had a stripped TPS mounting hole so I filled it with JB weld and I'll have it hopefully tapped and installed tonight. I really want to take this thing for a drive already; its making me a little crazy that it is just sitting in the driveway.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I bit the bullet and started to fix the console skeleton with some JB Weld. I used some duct tape to hold it together and now that I've got all the big pieces back together I'll start making it stronger and hopefully it will last a while.

I also took a good before and after picture of the arm rests. This car is a gross mess but its coming back to life slowly!

Jessica

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice. What an improvement on the arm rests.

My intermediate shaft looks the same. Apparently, the ”seal” for the steering shaft doesn't do much sealing. If you look, the bracket where the brake booster bolts to is probably also rusty.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Nice. What an improvement on the arm rests.

My intermediate shaft looks the same. Apparently, the ”seal” for the steering shaft doesn't do much sealing. If you look, the bracket where the brake booster bolts to is probably also rusty.

Thanks for the heads up. I've just found that anything not coated or painted is totally rusted (and even some stuff that was painted has rusted). I've got blue tape holding my rear marker light on the car because the metal clips behind the bumper fell apart when I took the old broken lens off. I'm planning to do a vinyl wrap on the car so I guess when I pull the bumpers I'll fix it. I'm planning to just buy a box of those little fasteners from Fastenal before I start.

Jessica
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You might say I'm pretty partial to an '87 SE in Med Metallic Red for some reason

It's always super gratifying when you do save one from what would be a reasonably permanent end, it's good to see the progress on yours is going smoothly!

------------------

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Carcenomy:

You might say I'm pretty partial to an '87 SE in Med Metallic Red for some reason

It's always super gratifying when you do save one from what would be a reasonably permanent end, it's good to see the progress on yours is going smoothly!

That looks great! I don't think mine will be staying red because the paint has so many problems. There is a lot of fiberglass showing through in more than a few panels (plus my replacement panels I got are all white.

My "to-do" list for the day, its more of a starting point than anything.

I got the door panels back on last night before going out and it really is nice to see them looking great again

I spent the morning at cars and coffe and now I'm just taking a break. I was able to get the TB tapped for the TPS and its ready to go back on. I removed the coolant loop from the TB and I welded in the battery tray and did some other little things. I'm feeling like I've gotten ahead of most of the issues at this point but by tonight when I quite I'm sure I'll have a few new things I'm confused with again.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2015 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

78_elky

280 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Well it was going alright (if very slow) on the car but then I was trying to put the calipers back on the rotors and there wasn't enough room for the pads so I tried to press the piston back into the bore with a brake tool, but it wouldn't budge. Then I was trying to take the parking brake lever off to see if that had something to do with it and the piston came out of the bore and now I'm not sure how to get it back in. Also the dust shield is spilt and I didn't know that until now, so I guess I'm going to be waiting for a rebuild kit anyways. Kind of a crappy way to end the day. Hopefully I can get a kit from a local store and be back at it tomorrow, and that should give me time to figure out how to put the piston back in.
Jess
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2015 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well with the setback on Saturday I decided that I'd just take it easy Sunday. I got the exhaust Y pipe bolted back up to the manifold near the firewall so I was able to get the intake and throttle body mounted. I JB Welded a crack in the EGR pipe that is right under the manifold flange. I may remove the EGR in the future if it isn't too much trouble. Also I got the battery tray welded in and hooked the battery up and tried to start the car.

Of course I only spent a few minutes trying to start it and it didn't want to go. I'll spend some more time on it once I have a second person to help me trouble shoot it. Its kind of hard to check things and try and start it all by yourself (I should get a remote start one of these days to make trouble shooting easier).

I also started to rebuild the console frame. I think it'll be pretty strong byt he time I'm done.

I'll sand it and paint it when I'm done fixing all the cracks (I don't think there is an intact screw hole in the entire part.

And I ordered caliper rebuild kits for all 4 calipers and I should have them Tuesday and I'll get back to work on that soon.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put the console back in last night; I was just going to test fit and see what needed to be done, but everything was going together so well I just installed it all. The only hiccup is the vinyl surround around the shifter plate is warped and peeling (the center stack part around the radio trim is as well but not bad) so I may have to address that soon. Also I have no idea if my HVAC controls work or if my blower motor works so that may have to come out still and I think some of the bulbs are burned out. I think I'm going to paint the ashtray covers so they are off and I haven't really attached the shifter yet. Some of this list is just to help me remember what all I have left to look at. Either way its a huge improvement and I can also see why its so common to build or buy a new dash or interior for these cars.

I also need to give the steering wheel, shifter, headliner, and interior plastic trim I didn't remove a good scrub to get the dirt and grime off of them. I also got all 4 of my caliper rebuild kits in yesterday so I'm going to start working on the passenger rear and see how it goes. I also tried to start the car again and I smelled a good bit of gas so I think the pump is working, but maybe it needs a coil or ignition module. I'll have my Dad come out and give me a hand so I can get him to crank the car while I check spark and other things.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still no ashtray or gauge pod switches and that shifter trim is not bolted down but the interior is mostly back together.

I also was able to have my Dad come out and watch the engine while I cranked it and it looks like the coil is working just fine.
There is spark going into the distributor but there isn't any spark coming out of the distributor. So I've got some checking to do to see if the ICM is working or if the pickup is the issue. The previous owner said he had put a new cap and rotor on and coil but I don't really know what he did or just wanted to do to it. I also have a fuel pump that keeps buzzing as long as the battery is plugged in and it looks like that could be a fuel pump relay and/or a oil sender unit so I'm going to upgrade the oil sender to an 88 style and replace the relay. I just need to verify that the fuel pump is in fact the thing buzzing.

Jessica

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 78_elky:

... I went on craigslist and found a Fiero for so little money I couldn't pass it up.

personally i think 87 was the best fiero year - good luck with it. BUT be careful because a basket case fiero could end up being he most expensive car you'll ever own. GM built these cars to self-destruct and if you start buying new parts and customizing, you'll have 5 to 10 thousand in it before you know it. For that kind of money, you could buy a LOT of late model really nice cars - early 90s corvettes, mid-2000 mustangs, etc. Don't forget there are better made (MR2 turbo) and more exotic (lotus esprit) mid-engine cars that can be had on the used market. Spend your money wisely

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 04-24-2015).]

78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

personally i think 87 was the best fiero year - good luck with it. BUT be careful because a basket case fiero could end up being he most expensive car you'll ever own. GM built these cars to self-destruct and if you start buying new parts and customizing, you'll have 5 to 10 thousand in it before you know it. For that kind of money, you could buy a LOT of late model really nice cars - early 90s corvettes, mid-2000 mustangs, etc. Don't forget there are better made (MR2 turbo) and more exotic (lotus esprit) mid-engine cars that can be had on the used market. Spend your money wisely

Thanks, I'm noticing how once you take one thing apart on these cars it can really snowball on you (more so than my other cars and there are not too many places to get parts). Plus some of the systems are pretty intertwined and that could be an issue as well (I doubt I'll ever get the A/C working because the compressor is seized and was given to me in a box when I bought the car). I've got 1300 into the car at this point with the purchase price (I'm logging all my receipts) and it looks like the really rough ones in this area are going for around that price; so if I can get it running I'm still within a reasonable range to sell it. The nicer examples look to be in the 3K or more range and the ones with a swapped motor are kind of all over the place. I'd like to replace the suspension components, springs, shocks, and struts all at once and have a nice little go kart but we'll see how that pans out. That kind of modifications will leave me in the 2K -3K range on cost. I may drive it for a bit before I do anything major; then just sell it if its not something I really like. Considering I haven't driven one before and this one doesn't drive now I've got very little frame of reference to go on. Plus my S10 and my El Camino are more my "permanent" fleet and this was supposed to be a simple detour so I'd have a backup daily driver if the S10 goes down for maintenance Having the El Camino blown apart for a frame off and LS swap in the middle of my 2 car garage also makes working on the Fiero a pain and everything I do the Fiero is a drain on the resources that could go to getting the El Camino back together. Believe me I'm thinking a lot about what to do with this car.

On a positive note I took the ignition system apart and found it all works. So I think I'm missing a spring inside the distributor and that is why I'm not getting any spark at my plugs. So I ordered one and hopefully that will fix the issue and I can start the car. I'm also going to try to rebuild the caliper this weekend and I can button up the brakes. I only plan on rebuilding the calipers if they look bad or they come apart on accident so I'm going to hope that the rest of the brakes go easy.

Jessica
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2015 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 78_elky:

... I'd have a backup daily driver ...

The cheapest way i've ever found to get parts is to watch your local scrapyard for the weekends they have 50% off sales. Hopefully there will be a fiero or 2 in the yard when they have the sale. This is also a good way to learn about how the car is put together and how to get stuff apart . Good job so far.
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was one Fiero in the local pick and pulls within 100 miles and it was pretty well pulled apart already but I got some good stuff from it. I also found a really nice guy parting one that he bought running and driving to use on his kit car Ferrari project and he's been very helpful getting me the parts I needed and giving me some insight into how the running gear should be put together.

I think the distributor was put in wrong on mine by the previous owner so I ordered a Haynes manual and I'm going to verify TDC and try to set the distributor up so I can get this car to start. I also got the rear caliper back together that came apart when I was trying to put new pads and rotors on. The only hiccup is that the piston needs to move in about 1/16" more to fit over the rotor and once I figure out that I'll be able to put the passenger side back together and move onto the drivers side. I'm optimistic I can figure this little car out, but it would have been great if it could have gotten done a week ago. My S10 blew the lower intake gasket on the 4.3L so its down while I wait for a new injector spider to get delivered because I found it was leaking when I took the intake apart.

Fun times working on the cars!

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So the spring was not the issue on the Fiero. It still won't start, its like its not timed right, so once I get my S10 up and running again I'll be back to work on the Fiero. I rebuilt the rear caliper with a new dust boot and square cut seal that came apart on me. I've got to get the piston to move about 1/16" further into the caliper to get the new pads to clear the rotors but I'm optimistic I'll get it figured out. The piston and bore looked to be in great shape and had no pitting or anything so that was also good.

Nothing much else to report, the car is way on the back burner till I can get my daily driver going again

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2015 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Took a break from the S10 this morning and focused on getting the brakes back together on the Fiero. I did the rears in the morning and I installed the new seals on the spindles (so that took some time)

I tackled the fronts this evening (about 12 hours after I did the fronts).

I'm not too thrilled with the fact the suspension looks very much original and questionable. That is however part of phase 2 after I get it running and driving and get plates on it

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty sure I figured out the issue with it not starting. I think the fuel line isn't hooked up. I went out yesterday and its pouring out from under the car when the pump is energized. Previously I had been working with my Dad and he had me cranking the engine while he was doing things under the hood to the timing and such. This time I was alone and I noticed it was just dripping down onto the ground. It is very dirty brown gas so I kind of let it pump a bit out because I think its very old gas anyways (apparently the PO hadn't moved/ran the car in over 3 years).

So I'm going to get under the car tonight I hope and replace the fuel filter, check the fuel pressure and plug this leak (it may be the PO never hooked the lines back up). Then I've got a couple of transmission mounts to tighten and an exhaust to hang and I should have everything under the car done (I hope). My punch list is getting a lot smaller. I also got a lot of good ideas on what is the issue with my passenger side headlight not coming up.

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update! The fuel line was hooked up. I found it is completely rusted through the hydraulic fitting part as well as a rust hole in the metal part. So I'm going to go to a local shop and see if they can make me up a replacement. At this point I think the return line is OK but its hard to tell when all the fuel is leaking out of the supply and not making it to the return. I also may just get some new fuel injection hose and make something myself if I can't get something locally.

I also tried to hook up the exhaust the previous owner had hacked together. Its a complete mess. He cut the cat out and then welded in a pipe that is too long, he omitted all the hanger points and he also used a universal muffler so it'd have only one exhaust pipe, he also didn't seem to measure anything so I've decided its almost completely hopeless. Luckily, I had a spare cherry bomb (I think its really a "Red Hots") muffler with a turn down sitting up in my rafters so thats all I'm going to run until I get this thing going and can justify buying all the parts to fix the exhaust. It needs new not completely bugger welded manifolds as well as a new Y-pipe along with everything else. So for now it'll have the muffler where the cat goes and a turn down and we'll see how completely horrible it sounds with a glass pack on such a little engine haha

Jessica
78_elky

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 78_elkySend a Private Message to 78_elkyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the good news is I've fixed the S10. It involved making the bed dump so I could get to the fuel pump ;-)
That means I'm back to work on the Fiero (once I bolt down the bed and such).

I fixed the fuel supply line, it was rusted through and now its been replaced by a injection rated hose and some decent injection rated hose clamps. I know its not the nicest option but it'll work and its not near any heat. And besides the line it is replacing is also rubber.
I also took apart the passenger side headlight and found a brush was damaged on the motor (I may have caused it taking things apart who knows?) I also broke two screws off on the motor mount and had to drill and tap for new ones. But the biggest surprise was there were no bushings left inside the mechanism, just dust. So I got some spacers from the store and put them in my drill press and sanded them down to .48" and they work great! No more winking Fiero lights! I may have to do the drivers side soon, its not sounding very healthy

My next step is to test the fuel pressure again. I know the pump is running through the oil sender unit because it won't turn off once the battery is attached (unless I unplug the sensor) so I'm going to put a new relay on it and if the pressure is low I'll figure out why and try to fix that. I feel like I'm really close to getting the car running. I can't wait to drive this little thing

Jessica
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 10 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock