Why this site is awesome by lorennerol
Started on: 03-31-2015 01:39 PM
Replies: 29 (595 views)
Last post by: IIKool on 04-04-2015 08:33 AM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Over the last 15 years I've been a member on a lot of special interest forums, from mountaineering, to schools, to cars, and IT/tech-related.

As I've been working on collecting parts and info to restore my 87 GT, a 1991 college graduation gift to myself, I've been posting and reading here more frequently, and I'm continuously amazed at the breadth of knowledge and skill and help here, and that it almost always is given freely without the attitude that is displayed on many other sites.

As a relative newbie here, I've felt welcome and people have been patient with me. Those two things combined with the massive amount of knowledge/skill are, in my experience rare, and I very much appreciate this community and the people who make it what it is.

You may now return to the usual topic of conversation
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87GT2M6

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT2M6Send a Private Message to 87GT2M6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that out years ago. Welcome to the biggest, nicest, friendliest Fiero family in the world.

If you think they are nice on here, wait to you meet us in person.

Glad to have you on-board

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT2M6:

Welcome to the biggest, nicest, friendliest Fiero family in the world.

Just stay out of O/T.

The tech info here is second to none. It's the #1 Fiero resource site on the planet.

Csjag

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Just stay out of O/T.

The tech info here is second to none. It's the #1 Fiero resource site on the planet.

Lol, I second that!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep, still the best forum on the webs, the people here are the best!
tesmith66

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This forum is the best for EVERYTHING. I always ask here first no matter what the the issue pertains to. You guys have helped me with all of my cars, trucks, tractors, lawn equipment, house stuff, food, marriage advice, medical issues, mental health...

------------------
1986 SE Aero coupe.

3.4 DOHC swap is complete and running, now just have to finish the rest of the car...

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Cant give enuogh thumbs up
solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Yep, still the best forum on the webs, the people here are the best!

I agree! Very helpful and nice people.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are some rare and unique souls lurking around this forum that you just don't see anywhere else.

I've always felt that the Fiero attracted the most helpful and dedicated group of enthusiasts...

...and Pennock's is undeniable proof.

Welcome to the forum!

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 04-01-2015).]

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
when you put in a random car part search from some one else's computer that has never typed in fiero..... oh look a fiero forum link ....hahahahahaha
PFF
System Bot
Detainabull

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DetainabullSend a Private Message to DetainabullEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Very me to this forum and feel very welcomed. Great people great info. Def the best forum I've been on.
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you think it is awesome now, you should have seen it back when it actually was...

Kevin
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:
Cant give enough thumbs up

I could not agree more! As with any club or forum, there are always the few exceptions though

Originally posted by Lambo nut:
If you think it is awesome now, you should have seen it back when it actually was...
Kevin

Australian

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We are a real community and a great bunch. We all love Fieros Tyler brought us closer.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

As with any club or forum, there are always the few exceptions though

Yep, and we have got rid of some of them in the past, but along with some of the others better than thou attitudes on here, most of the good ones are gone too. Shame really.

Kevin
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Over the last 15 years I've been a member on a lot of special interest forums, from mountaineering, to schools, to cars, and IT/tech-related.

As I've been working on collecting parts and info to restore my 87 GT, a 1991 college graduation gift to myself, I've been posting and reading here more frequently, and I'm continuously amazed at the breadth of knowledge and skill and help here, and that it almost always is given freely without the attitude that is displayed on many other sites.

As a relative newbie here, I've felt welcome and people have been patient with me. Those two things combined with the massive amount of knowledge/skill are, in my experience rare, and I very much appreciate this community and the people who make it what it is.

You may now return to the usual topic of conversation

See how awesome it is now? I'm getting negs for stating facts.
Those better than thou's are at it again. Got to F'n love this place!

Kevin

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

See how awesome it is now? I'm getting negs for stating facts.

And you now that, how?

Edit: Let me rephrase that. Two questions actually. How do you know you got a negative? And how do you know you got it for your statement in this thread? I assume this is not your only post on the forum.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

And you now that, how?

Edit: Let me rephrase that. Two questions actually. How do you know you got a negative? And how do you know you got it for your statement in this thread? I assume this is not your only post on the forum.

Because it was setting at 189 for quite some time and I have not posted for some time, then I post in this thread and got two more moves to the red. Not rocket science.
Are you going to tell me I am wrong and got two positives instead?

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 04-02-2015).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

We are a real community and a great bunch. We all love Fieros Tyler brought us closer.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

then I post in this thread and got two more moves to the red. Not rocket science.

That's quite a feat considering you have 192 ratings and the rating bar uses only 36 pixels to show both red and green. Meaning each rating would move the bar 0.18 pixel. So you would need at least 5 ratings to see the bar move a single pixel.

Are you going to tell me I am wrong and got two positives instead?

Yep. You did not get two negative ratings. But it quite effectively illustrates that people only see what they want to see.
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That's quite a feat considering you have 192 ratings and the rating bar uses only 36 pixels to show both red and green. Meaning each rating would move the bar 0.18 pixel. So you would need at least 5 ratings to see the bar move a single pixel.

Hey, now, let's not let those pesky facts and math get in the way of making my original post wrong

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 04-02-2015).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Hey, now, let's not let those pesky facts and math get in the way of making my original post wrong

Unfortunately, there will always be a few "weeds" in every "garden." Pennock's Fiero Forum is no exception.

Which parts are you still needing for your Fiero? There are a lot of us here on the forum that have extra parts laying around... but don't have them posted up for sale in the mall. This might be a good time to start asking around.

Do you have any pictures of your Fiero that you could share?

BTW, it's pretty much mandatory around here for newbies to post a picture or two of their ride.

j/k... but:

[This message has been edited by ITALGT (edited 04-02-2015).]

ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ITALGT

994 posts
Member since Jan 2002
My bad... you did say that you were a relative newbie... I hope you don't mind me sharing:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129655.html

Bubble-gum blue... one of my favorite OEM paint colors for the Fiero.

Looks really nice!

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yep. You did not get two negative ratings.

So I got ONE neg for stating facts, and now POSSIBLY another. My post still stands.

Kevin
zzzhuh

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

Looks really nice!

Absolutely beautiful. I'd have the ground effect be black and that would be perfect. Hmm... I might have to reconsider my original idea:

BTW, these are some people's car's I horribly edited.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by zzzhuh:

Absolutely beautiful. I'd have the ground effect be black and that would be perfect.

Nah... black ground effects "raise" the bottom of the car several inches. Silver is still the best.
ITALGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Nah... black ground effects "raise" the bottom of the car several inches. Silver is still the best.

Well said, I agree.

I was considering this on my gold '86 GT until I came to the same conclusion.

I think it could be pulled off though... with the right base color and creative wheel selection, it could be an interesting combo.

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2015 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ITALGT:

My bad... you did say that you were a relative newbie... I hope you don't mind me sharing:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129655.html

Looks really nice!

Yep, that's it. I took that picture right after we'd rolled it out from the side of the house and done a thorough, deep clean to make it my daughter's daily driver. The paint is (was) a lot worse that it looks in this picture.

This one shows the chunk my wife nicked out of the right front fender backing out of the garage in 1993. I'm not going to miss that at all.

I'm not doing things in the ideal order, but here's a short list of what's done:

- Dew wipes, inner and outer
- New headliner
- Mr. Mike's leather seats
- Cleaned the rust off and repainted the seat rails
- Rodney's speakers, front and rear
- Rebuilt headlight motors
- *Thorough* rug doctoring
- New Pontiac head unit with line-in (also from a PFF member)

It's currently in getting a panel-off paint job. During that they are:

- Replacing the craptastic dealer-installed sunroof that's been caulked shut for several years with a factory sunroof (I was fortunate to get a nice roof section with the A pillars intact from a member of our local club- Jet City Fieros)
- Swapping out the windows I scratched up right after I got the car with an OEM set in much better condition
- Replacing the drip rails I bent up the ONE time I put a bike rack on the roof in 1992. (thank you, Rsvl-Rider!!)
- New window motors
- Fixing/rebuilding the door hinges
- Install NOS sail panels (I felt like I'd won the lottery when I got them)
- New trunk seal

Other stuff that I have parts for already:

- I happened across a recently rebuilt 3.4 that's now on a stand in my garage. It's going in after the paint is fully cured. Yes, I know this should have been done first, but the engine was a pipe dream for way after paint, then it unexpectedly fell in my lap after the paint was scheduled.
- Intake and valve covers are off at the power coater. In fact, they called to day to tell me they are done.
- Rodney's stainless vacuum lines.
- Send a spare set of OEM wheels out to have the edges cleaned up/repaired. The paint on the webbing is good.
- Replace cracked side mirrors (replacements arrived today)
- Buff/polish the excellent set of tail lights I bought from a club member

Stuff for which I'm still hunting parts:

- Better condition center console and door (I have a pretty good skeleton I'll put in at the same time)
- Improve the brakes (haven't started digging into the best way to do this yet)
- Engine bay, undercarriage, suspension and under-hood clean up/restore
- Add OEM subwoofer (I have the sub box and the overhead control, but not the wiring harness and amp)

I wish I could say I was doing this all myself, but the big stuff I'm not. I'm at a point in my life where work and family and my other hobbies (primarily mountaineering) pretty much use up my available energy. The president of our club is a great mechanic and he's going to do the engine swap.

In the later 90s and early 2000s I had a hard time keeping the car running reliably and it ended up sitting under a tarp for the better part of 8 years. I've since learned that putting a car under a plastic tarp in the Pacific Northwest is worse than leaving it uncovered, so a lot of what I've done and am doing is repairing damage (paint and interior) that happened due to moisture building up and sitting on and in the car. Getting all this stuff done is partly out of guilt, partly because I love driving the car, and a lot for my oldest daughter. When she was about 8 (she's almost 18 now) I was ready to sell the car and she told me I couldn't because I'd promised to take her for a ride in it someday (this was during the dark, tarp period). It's now her daily driver, she goes to the club meetings and events with me, and I've told her it'll be her car someday if she wants it and has a garage in which to keep it. She wants to keep it stock (looking at least) which is why we opted for the 3.4 instead of a 3800.

Is it still bad-form threadjacking if I started the thread??

[This message has been edited by lorennerol (edited 04-02-2015).]

IIKool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2015 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IIKoolSend a Private Message to IIKoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Australian:

Australian did you ever get your car finished, If so how about some pic's

llKool

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock