Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  Why are there so many Fiero "haters" (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Why are there so many Fiero "haters" by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 03-02-2015 10:59 AM
Replies: 74 (2118 views)
Last post by: pro street dave on 03-23-2015 08:40 AM
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post03-03-2015 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

From my perspective, being honest with myself:

It was initially underpowered. No, it was not, it was a 2 seat econo car, 90+ hp was more than enough, when 1984 v8's had 145 vette had a whopping 205hp,and not even 300 ft lb of torque (290)
It was, except for 88, a bit of a Frankenstein car, mechanically. like every mass produced car, take the mustang, same parts as a Fairmont in the first few years of the foxbody, the 82-02 f body is not much more than a scaled up vega/Monza
A sports car having suspension parts in common with the Citation and Chevette is not exactly a thoroughbred pedigree. did that really matter, how far off was the handling of most other cars back then, other than a vette or a Ital, red head??
There were some initial quality and engineering issues, even if they were overblown. like most new models,
There are/were a lot of poorly-kept ones driving around looking trashy. Mine included.
It was a sporty car with exotic looks that was obtainable by the masses and they made a ton of them (370,000 in 4.5 years). Many of the non-masses are always going to resent cars like this.

I don't know how many had engine bay fires. But I also don't know how many Pintos burst into flames after rear-end collisions. An issue of this magnitude becomes not about the quantity, but about the quality, if you will.

It's worth keeping in mind that this was a car sold to Pontiac brass as a fuel-efficient commuter vehicle, not a sports car. That it became any sort of sports car is a tribute to the creative selling and subsequent back-room engineering done by internal evangelists at Pontiac.

When I see first-gen Miatas I probably snicker the same way some people about the Fiero, so I'm not immune.

But I will say this: The Fiero GT is one of the most distinctive and beautiful cars under $100,000 (current dollars) ever. And it's a blast to drive. And that's why I'm currently investing more than the car is worth in a panel-off paint restoration on mine.

I haven't got any "hate" , sure it doesn't get looked at cruises or shows like a 70 chevelle does. Most only say it's been years since they have seen one.. Many are shocked that a Fiero was a Indy pace car..
many understand they are not as powerful as they look, but like most cars at cruises/shows know their car also wasn't a power house,, as most of them are not the car they "look like" most started as a 307 chevelle or a 350 cutlass, or, a inline 6. not the fire breather ls6 chevelle, 442, etc..
Many didn't care about them when new, and many have that same feeling now.. And I totally understand that,, a Fiero gt that's clean and had a engine swap to make it go.. is going to cost what a c4 vette will, and it will out handle it, out value it as they age even more, and it v8 rear drive.. Something most in the car hobby will find easier to fix any lack of power with a v8 car, even if they can't personally, most of his/her buddies can, or know someone that can, without much trouble, unlike the fiero , that has a limited amount of people/shops willing to take on an engine family swap..

most of the "hate" I get is from other owners of the car..

[This message has been edited by E.Furgal (edited 03-03-2015).]

rednotdead

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rednotdeadSend a Private Message to rednotdeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the comments I've gotten are roughly positive. A lot of "Oh man, a Fiero - not alot of them around, I used to have one a long time ago" or "that was my dream car", etc.

The most negative reaction I had was from a mechanic, an older guy who I'd taken my Civic hatch to a few times and generally had a good experience with. He used to race Hondas apparently. When I told him I'd bought the car he was shocked ("you bought a Fiero!? Thats a peice of junk!") and to add insult to injury when I told him how much I paid for it he told me I'd "been had pretty good". (I did in fact overpay for it, for sure - I was still smarting from losing out on a mint condition 85 GT and was determined not to let this Formula get away). The car is still running fine though. I felt his reaction was inappropriate and dickheaded, and I dont know that Ill be going back.
dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been disappointed with the rejection that I get from other 'car guys'. The very things that attracted me seem to be the things that turn them away. i totally like their older hot rods and thought that they would accept my different generation hot rod because a hot rod is a hot rod but they go out of their way to exclude me. And that's with a 600 hp car compared to their old 300 hp car.
Jims88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2015 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jims88Send a Private Message to Jims88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroTony:

Or........from the younger crowd. What kind of car is that??????

My son had to be dropped off at school, so he drove us in my red 88 Formula. One of his friends came running up and said " WOW Connor is this your car?"
I chuckled a bit, he had no clue what he was looking at.
So far the young people who've seen it; seem to be attracted to the sporty looks.

[This message has been edited by Jims88 (edited 03-04-2015).]

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The different reactions is part of the fun of having my 86gt. Yes the negative ones pop up here and there but for the most part its been positive. The funniest one was when I stopped for gas and a large group of Harley riders pulled in and wouldn't let me leave. Nothing but positive comments on how clean it was and they wanted to see the engine and sit in the car. One guy said he owned one years ago and wished he still had it. Another guy wanted to switch vehicles for a short cruise with me riding his $ 32,000 bike, but I was running late as it was. Hope to take that offer next time.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

I could never quite figure out why some people really hate Fiero's. There are certainly many (even "car people") who are terribly misinformed about these little cars, leading these particular people to have biased opinions on them but my real question is in regard to those who are vocal and trash talk Fiero's even after you explain all the correct facts to them. It's almost as if they have a chip on their shoulder. You can see they have already made up in their mind that the car is absolute trash. Why do hate this car so much?

Kit

Oh it is nothing now you should have been around 20 years ago. LOL!

The key to this is be honest about our cars as you have to be creditable to be taken serious. You can correct them on their errors but be honest and don't tell them this is the next greatest thing to the McLaren F1 either. Admit the flaws, correct the errors but always be honest.
ITALGT

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2015 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ITALGTSend a Private Message to ITALGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Oh it is nothing now you should have been around 20 years ago. LOL!

The key to this is be honest about our cars as you have to be creditable to be taken serious. You can correct them on their errors but be honest and don't tell them this is the next greatest thing to the McLaren F1 either. Admit the flaws, correct the errors but always be honest.

Well said.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 02:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i want to make up a bumper sticker. "Fiero - either you get it, or you don't".

within 3 seconds I can tell if the person i'm speaking to is a DB or not. In the last 10 years of showing my car, I have heard them all.

Rob

------------------

88 Coupe, CJB T-TOP, LS376 and a GT clip
88 GT, SIII 3800NA/Auto swap underway
LS Build Thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/083204.html
LS on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAH9yjw6XR0
3800 build thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089035.html

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIEROEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

within 3 seconds I can tell if the person i'm speaking to is a DB or not.

Bingo!
KOS

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KOSClick Here to visit KOS's HomePageSend a Private Message to KOSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

From my perspective, being honest with myself:

It was initially underpowered.
It was, except for 88, a bit of a Frankenstein car, mechanically.
A sports car having suspension parts in common with the Citation and Chevette is not exactly a thoroughbred pedigree.
There were some initial quality and engineering issues, even if they were overblown.
There are/were a lot of poorly-kept ones driving around looking trashy. Mine included.
It was a sporty car with exotic looks that was obtainable by the masses and they made a ton of them (370,000 in 4.5 years). Many of the non-masses are always going to resent cars like this.

This sums up a lot of it. If you roll into a car show with a swapped engine, and upgraded suspension I think opinions change. The other point is that so many of these were used as kit cars as well, which hasnt helped the image in some peoples minds. The more examples of nicely restored or modded fieros help the cause, I think of this as the porsche 914. It gets a bad wrap, but talk to a guy that owns a nice one and he loves the way it handles. I think though the image of those are now changing as the price has started to go up from the 70s models now. They are harder to find and more expensive. To each their own, I dont really care to be honest, just as long as they dont say anything to me.

------------------
Dan
Build Thread

PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KOS:
It gets a bad wrap

Time to find a better vinyl shop then. At least you can peel it off and do another in a few hours though.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-05-2015 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dratts:

I've been disappointed with the rejection that I get from other 'car guys'. The very things that attracted me seem to be the things that turn them away. i totally like their older hot rods and thought that they would accept my different generation hot rod because a hot rod is a hot rod but they go out of their way to exclude me. And that's with a 600 hp car compared to their old 300 hp car.

600hp details we need details..
What I've learned from going to shows, Alone for years, and then going to some shows with my dad, was this.. it's not so much the cars, as it is the people.. My dad made a point I never though about.
He said the hot rodders didn't like the muscle car guys, both hated the vette guys, The muscle car guys didn't like the import guys, and so on.. other than the vette guy thing ,He explained it was about age/generations. Being able to hang out with people there own age, to get away from the family and shoot the bull. Somewhat like you'd not go to a bar that was mostly 40 year olds and older if you are 21, and most 50 year olds are not at the "hip clubs" a 20 y/o goes to.. Car shows are not much different , they want to be taken back to a time in their life that They didn't have a worry in the world, and spend a day with people that lived it along with them, an 80's car wasn't on their radar . and to be honest the Fiero and the import crowd that came later most likely reminds them to much about the gas shortages of the 70's and early 80's..
Cars tend to be a connection to a persons life , They will look past the vehicles faults, to have one that they had earlier in life, or lusted over back then.
My,Dad had cars that would fit into shows today even tho. they were not the "hot" model a 66 Caprice, Then a 73 cutlass , but the one I took to was the one he brought home on a wrecker in '79 a 77Cutlass recovered theft, The badges on it said Cutlass S, but the more I talk to people on them, it had to be a 442, not that that really mattered much in 77 as far as power, but the options it had,most olds experts say you could not get in a "S".. Oh, did I want that car, parents thought I'd wrap it around a tree/pole, so I was told, no.. even after working two summers for it.. They gave it to the not into cars son, that launched it off the road, up a dirt pile and 30 feet into tree's..
Dad had a buddy that ordered a new 1979 turbo t/a. and he had to do some work to it,no idea what as it was new, but I went for a ride in it.. and for a 9 y/o it felt fast, the turbo lights, the sound..
At 19 I had my own 80 t/a.. was not fast as I bought it, wasn't the best put together car.. but I'd own another in a heartbeat.. Because of the memories.. As a teen I had 4 3rd gen t/a's. Again not the best car, but I loved mine, and would take a 85-89 t/a stick please.. why memories, In highschool, I'd walk past a Chevy dealership, and drooled over a Monte SS , before that I had seen the black and maroon ones and it didn't do it for me,, Then I saw this one at the dealership, white, maroon gut, LUST.. never drove one, and surely could not afford one at 18k+ . but never forgot it, and in 2002 When a clean one was found by sheer luck as I was driving to look at 2) 1966 el camino's That the shop was taking a deposit on when I got there, missed them by about a half an hour. On way home passed the SS again and decided what the hay, I'll look at it..
None of the cars on my list are all that fast stock, but are from a time when I was young, not a care in the world.. I'm sure that is the draw with most people in the hobby.. The cars and age group bring them back to that time in their life..
I loved the look of the 66 Pontiacs stacked head lights, owned a few, we'll call them rust buckets, was my first car , in my name, 2 out of 3 never moved out of the driveway, 3rd one didn't own long, bought it cheap and got a offer for 4 times what I paid for it and at 17y/o it was see ya.. never really drove any of them that long, but I'd love to have another.
I always liked the 68-72 g.m. a bodys, bought 3 chevelles in boxes, 2)70's and a 72, got a 71 chevelle that was in an autotrader that seemed like just the ticket, mostly rust free but engine is toast.. bought it, as the engine was fine the starter bolts had backed out and the starter locked up the engine so the kid thought it was seized.. after driving it,, my love for those cars faded, I had no connection to them..
When the Fiero was new, I wasn't yet driving age, and in 86 I thought the GT was cool, but the T/A was cooler.. never honestly thinking much about them , Then in 2010 after health problems ,I had to sell the newish car and find something without a payment, I needed good mpg, and wanted to stay away from imports and fwd. The Fiero seemed to fit the bill, commuter car good on gas.. and cheapish, The fact that it was a 2 seater,didn't matter.. having had an 80 sunbird with a duke that I could not kill (trust me I tried) The fact that the duke behind my head sounded like a gumball machine didn't phase me.
Any other car I've ever bought or looked at that had the issues this thing did I'd have walked away from.. but was willing to deal with the issues, (and there was/is many)to get a not fwd car, and not an import.. After driving it some, it became fun to be able to whip it around ,sure it's not powerful, and the front end skates around corners real bad in the rain/wet roads, rides ruff, but it is fun,to drive..
If I had not bought one, it be just another car to me.. but after owning one.. for what it is, it's fun.. enjoyable car to throw around, the white knuckle under steer isn't always that fun and has me reaching for the throttle to bring the rear around, and it can't.. so it's not as fun as my stick shift 3rd gen t/a was.. but I bought it for mpg.. As much as I enjoy my roller skate (wife nick named it that). If I was looking for this type car(2 seats) for sporty driving after owning A Fiero, I think I'd head for a clean C4.. cause like the Fiero, The list of people that want them is small, and that =cheap for what you get, and old enough to miss the epa police..

Anyways, Cars are linked to the owners youth, the cold shoulder at shows is just a part of that.. To people my dads age, I remind them of their kids, They may love them but ,they are also the reason many parted with their pride and joy way back when, and left the hobby for years..
If I bought a new Camaro or mustang, I'm sure I'd have a blast in it.. but I don't think I'd get the same connection as the cars of my youth ,Even tho the new one can run rings around the crap I had..
It's that connection that drives this hobby..
sorry about the book..
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2015 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've caught a lot of flack but mostly that encouraged me to make it faster, cooler, and better. I remember this huge presentation I made for my parents, to convince them a Fiero was a good car, so they'd let me buy one as my first car haha.. Also in highschool this one kid was unrelenting calling it a "chicks car" non stop. Mine was a 86 SE too! not the 4 cylinder coupe! Eventually it was all I could take. I asked him if he wanted a ride, and he hopped in. In my school there was this small roundabout, so it was a 15mph I think. Anyway I accelerated up to over 50mph! I went for it, the car actually kicked out from the sharp right and left, felt like I danced through it... After that, he never gave me any crap, and actually bought one himself! It was pretty scary, I just had bald tires anyway. But man everyone respected it, when that spread through the school! hahaa.
When I talk cars with people, they tell me about their LS whatever. I start out by saying I have a Fiero. I pause, they smirk, say something dumb about it catching on fire. Then I add the part about the GTP engine, they raise their eyebrows, then I tell them its a built engine with a large cam, its lowered, and then finish with a "Oh yeah, it also has a 67mm Presicion Turbo" They just look stunned, then say "holy sh@t! Thats insane man! Sounds awesome, wow!" And I smile and say thanks. Haha its simple.
I mean no dis-respect to any muscle car guys here, but I find 9/10 times they are dicks. Just snobby, in general. I go to all the ratrod shows, and I get way more props about my Fiero there! (I don't bring it of course) Same for meets with the more tuner crowd, first they take a couple shots at it, then when they realize its 3x faster than their honda, they just go crazy over it and want rides. Its funny. But seriously if I had a dollar for every fool at the gas pumps who inform me "They're unsafe, and catch fire!" I'd be rich...

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fact is cars are as polarizing as Religion or Politics. The fact is you can get an argument on so many levels as so much is based on opinion and open mindedness.

Some folks are just set in their ways and others just can't see the big picture.

Just because you love your car does not mean everyone has to. People have a right to their own feelings no matter how uninformed or narrow minded they are.

We have the say narrow minded and even diluted thinking here too toward other models. As the market changes and evolves things are just not as they used to be. While we may not have cars like I owned in the past like 68 Chevelle SS or other big block or small block models does not mean we still do not have fun cars out there to drive.

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my opinion most of the hate on the Fiero comes from internet bullies not from real people. Except for my co-workers who give me good natured kidding, most of the people I encounter have fond memories of the Fiero. Most don't even remember the V6 was in there and when they see a supercharged V6 or V8 it will get some appreciation.

But some folks to build themselves up have to put others down, and the Fiero is an easy target. Let's not forget all the Ford, GM and Chrysler rivalry. I never understood that either.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's not the car. It's the person. And it's not just Fieros - it's just about everything in life. Religion, politics, hair styles, favorite beverage, sports team.... ad nauseum.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-08-2015 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
Let's not forget all the Ford, GM and Chrysler rivalry. I never understood that either.

That's from racing..

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2015 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I could never quite figure out why some people really hate Fiero's.

You can see they have already made up in their mind that the car is absolute trash.

I've never felt the need to defend my choice in cars... (or wine... or women...) so it really doesn't affect me what people might think. If my choices make me happy, that's all that matters.

I've been autocrossing for five years. There are a few of us locally who autocross our Fieros. My first four years I drove a 5-sp '84 duke, and this past year was my first with a 5-spd '88 Formula. I've noticed that the other weekend warriors are now appreciating what these funny little plastic cars from the 80's can do. The best example of this occurred during the middle of last season. I was finally starting to feel comfortable driving my Formula after having driven my underpowered duke the previous four years. One of the fellas from the hosting Corvette Club came up to me, motioned towards my Formula and said... "I can't believe how fast that car goes. Many of the members in this club have spent $85,000 on their cars, and you guys come here with your Fieros and beat us!" His attitude was great, he thought it was funny.

I'll just add that of course, many of the Vettes at autocross can eat my Formula alive (as it's nothing special). However, considering that this Fiero has been prepared with minimal cost, it's a thrill to be able to scoot around the track faster than a lot of much newer cars with 2x/3x the horsepower. And not that it's critical to me ('cause it isn't at all), but people at the track (both spectators and participants) do take notice of this.

So you see, it's not all about the hate.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-08-2015).]

hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2015 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The key is if you are go own a car out of the main stream then don't have a thin skin.

You can chase the crowd or you can choose your own path and just deal with is. It is a tougher path but a much more rewarding one because often you have a much more open mind and enjoy much more of what is out there.

The fact is the Fiero is an easy target with its history and often with mis- information but that is just the way it is. Just worry about yourself and not what others think.

Heck just look around here as even you can find things you like or don't like that other people do to their Fiero's so we all have a little subjectivenesss about each one of us fair or not.

The fact is the Fiero is a fringe car and not one in the mainstream so it is what it is. The best you can do is be informed about the car to correct the wrong and be realistic or honest on what it really is.

I am honest with people it is not the second coming of any super car but it is a fun car with some flaws just like about any other lower priced sports car out there. The fact is it is affordable, cheap and even the flaws make it fun and challenging to drive anywhere. Lets face it even the new Z06 does not get interesting till you get to speeds you can not use on any public road. This was a point Jay Leno made about the Lotus Elan.

But if you get a little goofy and try to make it into what it's not you do yourself and the car no good. Also learn early on you are not going to please everyone.

Note in years past the most would mock you but today most people are complimentary and the better shape the car is the more they take positive note.

Also consider the Camaro people are still fighting the Mullet Hair jokes and the Corvette fight the old men in gold chain mocks so even the popular cars get some rocks tossed their way.

Sorry that is life and if you can't handle it tie some kerosene rags around your ankles to make sure the piss ants don't bite you in the a$$. LOL!

Heck when I had my Chevelle SS I got compliments but I was un noticed often too. I was just another RWD muscle car in the crowd.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is generally the people. Not saying all are one way or the other, but over the last few years, even in here, Ive seen a lot more just be general azzes to others and myself. I dont know if its because there are more and more younger know it alls or what. I used to be a lot nicer person than Ive become recently. I treat people like they treat me. Corvette people are also their own breed. I joined a club when I had mine. I didnt, but most of the members treated every other kind of car owners like leppers. Their cars were heavens gift, and all others were trash. I always like all kinds of cars, so I sold mine and quit the club. Im enjoying life and retirement and dont need the crap. I always liked my own Fieros, but sold them when they stopped filling the need I had for them. I still have lots of friends who own Fieros all around the country. Biggest thing, was I needed more space for just stuff and was never satisfied with reliability when I made them fast enough. The Ferrari kit was different, loved it, but I just got bored with it after many years and got a MercedesSL instead that I kept for 12 years.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2015 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Corvette people are also their own breed. I joined a club when I had mine. I didnt, but most of the members treated every other kind of car owners like leppers. Their cars were heavens gift, and all others were trash.

I imagine the membership of each club (Corvette or otherwise) can differ from region to region. Perhaps there's also a difference between people who "show" their cars and those who autocross them. As I was inferring three posts back, the local Corvette club (BCCC) members I meet at autocross couldn't be nicer. They seem to enjoy having their GM "cousins" at their autocross events, and when I volunteered to help set up the track the day before each event, they openly showed their appreciation that I wanted to help out. They're good guys (and gals).

Originally posted by Patrick:

One of the fellas from the hosting Corvette Club came up to me, motioned towards my Formula and said... "I can't believe how fast that car goes. Many of the members in this club have spent $85,000 on their cars, and you guys come here with your Fieros and beat us!" His attitude was great, he thought it was funny.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-11-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post03-11-2015 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I imagine the membership of each club (Corvette or otherwise) can differ from region to region. Perhaps there's also a difference between people who "show" their cars those who autocross them. As I was inferring three posts back, the local Corvette club (BCCC) members I meet at autocross couldn't be nicer. They seem to enjoy having their GM "cousins" at their autocross events, and when I volunteered to help set up the track the day before each event, they openly showed their appreciation that I wanted to help out. They're good guys (and gals).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

One of the fellas from the hosting Corvette Club came up to me, motioned towards my Formula and said... "I can't believe how fast that car goes. Many of the members in this club have spent $85,000 on their cars, and you guys come here with your Fieros and beat us!" His attitude was great, he thought it was funny.

[/QUOTE]

The guys that use their vettes are very nice... for the most part..
It's the guys that show their vettes , at shows, what a kattie bunch. Cars you could eat off of, they'd pick apart not just other cars, other vettes in their class..
It's kinda comical to hear them look over a car and comment on the bolt coating being wrong, or the paint on the bracket isn't "flat" enough..

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"Why are there so many Fiero "haters" ?"
First of all I think the word *hate* is misused and overly used.
I personally have shown my Fiero in a lot of car shows over the years and can truthfully say that I have never encountered any actual *hate*.
In fact I have received quite a good deal of positive attention for my Fiero, including numerous Best of Show in Class trophies and Peoples Choice awards at large car shows here in Florida.

Not everyone is a big fan of the Fiero, but I have met very few people who didn't appreciate a well maintained, clean example of the marque.
If you show up somewhere with a piece of crap Fiero and expect to get a lot of favorable attention just because you think it's unique, "cool" or "rare" you're generally going to be disappointed. That goes for almost any car.

I've received a bit of good natured kidding from crew members of our race team who have asked me "Why THAT car?", in reference to why I would put so much time, effort and money into a car with so little collector car value, but when I have explained my sentimental attachment to the car going back to my days when I first saw the Fiero when I was on a race crew at Indy in 1984 then they at least *pretend* to understand, but the jokes do still pop up now and then. It's all in fun though.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 03-12-2015).]

Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Randye, would you settle for "strongly dislike"?
Hate or dislike, I started this thread to ponder and question why some are hell bent on bashing/trash-talking the Fiero, regardless of the facts.
It is my opinion that most of it comes from "car people", not the person on the street.
Kit
randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Randye, would you settle for "strongly dislike"?
Hate or dislike, I started this thread to ponder and question why some are hell bent on bashing/trash-talking the Fiero, regardless of the facts.
It is my opinion that most of it comes from "car people", not the person on the street.
Kit

I'll settle for anything if makes you happy
Most all of the real "car people" I know have very good opinion of a well restored or well maintained Fiero and an even better opinion of a nicely customized one.
I would suggest to you that those people bashing the Fiero, or "bashing" any car in general are NOT really "car people"...at least not ones that know anything worthwhile about cars!
Just keep your chin up. Consider the source of the criticism and have pride in your own work and accomplishments in YOUR car.
Next time someone gives you some grief, just ask them to show you THEIR car......then it's YOUR turn

------------------

seq

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2015 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXOPIE:
Well I can see you never had the privilege of owning a 1st year (1986) hyundai excel.

I truly HATED that car...it had so many issues...Hyundai eventually started the entire 10Year/100,000 mile warranty just to get more people to purchase their cars from the bad wrap from those 1st year POS!

Ha, I bought the Haynes manual for my Wife's 2007 Accent. When it arrived, I was surprised to see it titled Hyundai Excel and Accent Haynes Repair Manual covering all models 1986 thru 2009. I'd imagine you could write 300 pages on just the changes over the that 21 years. The book wasn't even that helpful.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

Fier-oh41229

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fier-oh41229Send a Private Message to Fier-oh41229Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe Fieros are so cool everyones jealous so they "hate" us cause were all so awesome... They hate us cause they aint us
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2015 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why are there haters. It is many reasons.

Like pointed out Bullies who just hate what ever you have.

People who just believe what they hear and not what is the truth.

People who just hate GM.

Import guys who just hate American.

People who did own one and had issues back in the day.

Some folks hate because some Fiero folks set themselves up to be hated with not being honest or realistic about our cars. Hey sorry but some of us bring it on ourselves too. We can point the finger but the thumb at times is pointing right back at us.

I could go on as people can hate just because they want to hate anything or everything.

The key to controlling this is be honest, realistic and don't let it get to you. Many people poke you because you react. If someone calls your car junk so be it as they have no clue and often just want to get a rise out of you. Also if you can have a real conversation be honest factually accurate about the car. If you don't know ask many here for answers and truth also back it up with documentation not just word of mouth as even Fiero people can have the story wrong too.

There are only haters if you let them get to you. Generally if you do not get overly sensitive and just look at them as say so what I like it and that is all that matters they have few options to attack you or demean you.

Lets face it Fiero owners come in all types and some of use have little issue and some of use have major issues with folks out there. Might just check to see who you are hanging around with or just how you come across and you may find why some of you are targeted more often. As for some attacks not much you can do than just not to play into them. Some folks will key a car just because they do not have one no way you can rationalize that and the same with verbal attacks.

Most of us appreciate all cars but some folks feel you have to walk and talk like them but that is no way to live. You can disagree as that is expected but no reason to pick an argument.

In the end all you can control is yourself. Your actions can make a situation go away or work out better in how you deal with it. Knowledge and the appropriate use of it can help but know when that a situation is hopeless no matter what you say and just let it go. You will not win them all and you need to accept that now. Corvette guys, Camaro guys, Mustang guys, GTO guys etc all get the same sh*t too but most are confident in their cars that they do not over compensate defending. I know the Fiero has caught a lot of flack over the years but you just have to learn to deal with it.

Owning a Fiero, Corvair or other orphan like car that has had good bad and misinformed things said are going to be polarizing. If you are not comfortable with that then you bought the wrong car. Fieros are not for the emotionally or mentally weak. LOL!

[This message has been edited by hyperv6 (edited 03-15-2015).]

retroman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for retromanSend a Private Message to retromanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Matt Farah's surprise on Fiero test drive

It just makes it all the more entertaining when the haters become jealous of a well put together example. (You will need a subscription to see the whole thing which you can do a free 2 week trial for.) Case in point is the above video. Now that Farrah has had his world turned upside down, I wonder if we could ever get a similar specimen in front of Jay Leno although Jay is a car guy's car guy and probably already appreciates it for what it's worth.
Danyel

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 171
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanyelClick Here to visit Danyel's HomePageSend a Private Message to DanyelEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dont let it get to ya .... just enjoy your fiero
Danyel

------------------

My Build Thread
Tylers Toy

[This message has been edited by Danyel (edited 03-22-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I was a mechanic I made a lot of "car guy" friends... Just about every one of them acted the same way to me when I told them I bought my Fiero. They told me I was crazy, they told me I would regret it, they told me it was ugly, it is hard to work on... Then I took a few of my buddies for a quick ride though Bear Mountain... They changed their minds pretty fast... Even with the old 26 year old bushings and springs my Fiero feels more poised and composed than my daily 2006 Impreza in the turns...

There are a few hold outs and narrow minded haters; and as much as I'd hate to report back to you guys, I've had people outright refuse to go for a ride in my car because they didn't want to be SEEN inside a Fiero and immediately call me "gay" because simply because "It's a Fiero!!!" I guess in their minds liking a mid engined RWD sports car somehow automatically makes me gay then? Funny thing is, when it's time to punch out and we are all leaving work at the end of the day just to see them them get in their Honda Accords and Toyota Corollas I think pleasant thoughts about how I actually enjoy driving my car...

It's all hive mind. People will come around eventually... For me that will be when I go to the track after I do my swap and put up better numbers than them. I can't wait for that day... :P

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

davylong86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2015 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davylong86Send a Private Message to davylong86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Danyel:

Dont let it get to ya .... just enjoy your fiero
Danyel

Short and sweet! Couldn't agree more. Took my car to work today and had the sun roof out and took the scenic route going home.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 06:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing we have left out on why some Fiero owners get hate or attacks. Often it is because some folks can raise a crazy reaction out of some of you.

The fact is that they could care less about the car but they get some folks so worked up just buy tossing arrows for fun.

There ate Human Tolls that are not on the web and just like to attack just for the sport and the reaction they can get. Just keep that in mind.

Just look at the reactions we get here in house at time. Now take someone on the outside that could care less and see what they can do.
pro street dave

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2015 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pro street daveSend a Private Message to pro street daveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you SCOTT. My friend.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock