Started on: 02-16-2015 12:12 PM
Replies: 43 (967 views)
Last post by: E.Furgal on 02-23-2015 02:02 AM
hyperv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

It must be the salt used on roads there, I've yet to see a rusted out Fiero here, both of my 85's have very little frame rust and no trunk rust. Rust under the battery is a different story though.

Yes the salt gets up behind the wheel well and where the side of the trunk has a spot weld it rust. They start small and can expand to where only the fiberglass quarter is the only thing holding up the back. The uni body over the rear axle can rust through too.

The batter tray is also an issue here. I coated mine in grease when the car was new and now use a gel battery and it is like new yet today.

the cars look great outside but under the skin they can be a real mess.
IP: Logged
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hyperv6:

Yes the salt gets up behind the wheel well and where the side of the trunk has a spot weld it rust. They start small and can expand to where only the fiberglass quarter is the only thing holding up the back. The uni body over the rear axle can rust through too.

The batter tray is also an issue here. I coated mine in grease when the car was new and now use a gel battery and it is like new yet today.

the cars look great outside but under the skin they can be a real mess.

Yes, I think GM could have put a drain hole under the battery or something similar to prevent rust, especially since it is open on the top because of the engine vent on all cars except the 84.
hyperv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hyperv6Send a Private Message to hyperv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Yes, I think GM could have put a drain hole under the battery or something similar to prevent rust, especially since it is open on the top because of the engine vent on all cars except the 84.

I believe most of the trouble is the fact the batteries give off acid and runs down on the mount that is welded in. Other GM cars like Chevelles etc. all lose their mounts the same way to but are under the hood. I have replaced many over the years and they bolt in in those cars. This is why I went to a Gel Battery as it does not vent acid.
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-23-2015 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First masshole to post on this thread.
I haven't seen any other fiero's other than 3 in junkyards
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay