Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat
  FIERO OWNERS PLEASE HELP A VETERAN WHO LOST HIS SERVICE PAY FIXING HIS FIERO TO FRAUD (Page 3)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
FIERO OWNERS PLEASE HELP A VETERAN WHO LOST HIS SERVICE PAY FIXING HIS FIERO TO FRAUD by hurstfiero
Started on: 02-12-2015 06:30 PM
Replies: 96 (2277 views)
Last post by: JohnWPB on 10-05-2015 01:00 PM
infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 03-19-2015).]

IP: Logged
hurstfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hurstfieroSend a Private Message to hurstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what part isn't true? You mean wounded warriors is straightened up now? I hope so, I really liked their cause.

As for goodwill...geeze!
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hurst, I had no idea Winsor was so bad! Hell, really?
Taijiguy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 244
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaijiguySend a Private Message to TaijiguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

It is also not true. During their founding years, as with any charity it was sure true but not today. BTW, Goodwill has the 11 highest paid CEO in the country for charities and one of the highest costs of any major charity. Goodwill in 2013 (2014 hasn't been rated yet) was among the worst with donations falling under 20% and they pay NOTHING for their product.

My comment in its entirety is true, but a relevant part got snipped. As recently as a few years ago they only gave only 42% of donations to their cause. Just a couple of years ago they had a C+ rating from the charity watch groups. Yes, over the last few years they've improved, but they still aren't great, comparatively speaking. Their CEO brings in over 300K a year. Goodwill's CEO may bring in more, but they're also one of the oldest and largest charities, much larger than WW. But then, the context of the comment in general was regarding charities that focus on serving vets. There are many that donate a far greater percentage to their primary cause. I won't give to WW.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to pursue this through court is a total waste of time unfortunately. He said/She said scenario, especially after so many years. Your friend was likely ripped off, but there is nothing that can be done about it now. If he really is as broke as you say he is, then his energy is probably better spent on skills training/job searching than chasing skeletons from the past. My offer still stands
hurstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2015 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hurstfieroSend a Private Message to hurstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's 0 degrees F here right now Tshark...all cars are hibernating. So yeah it's hell lol.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OMG! Are you saying that Hell froze over?
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Trying to pursue this through court is a total waste of time unfortunately. He said/She said scenario, especially after so many years. Your friend was likely ripped off, but there is nothing that can be done about it now. If he really is as broke as you say he is, then his energy is probably better spent on skills training/job searching than chasing skeletons from the past. My offer still stands

If court is a poor option, there is sufficient evidence to show the shop is probably doing very questionable work, and multiple customers have had the same experience at that shop, it might be worth getting a local news outlet involved (assuming they still actually do news and research, and not just spout off about asinine nonsense like the news in the US does), as a starting place. Maybe it won't result in recovery of lost funds, but it might help put them in the spotlight and get some sort of action taken against them.
hurstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 01:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hurstfieroSend a Private Message to hurstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A class action press coverage sort of deal, is a good idea. However since someone posted that Sue lady was selling off Fiero stuff, and they once again have a new name, I am guessing they are selling the shop to someone else, or finally it IS owned by someone else, and they are out of the Fiero business at the very least. Guessing it's too late to let people know, however I will try to figure out a way to find out if it's the same owners under a new name.

Regardless of helping my buddy out, I would like to make sure others don't get taken as well. I'd have to find others who are willing to come forward too with their bad experiences.

And yes hell froze over. On the way back from Ann Arbor, MI last night it was -7F cars were sliding off the road from bad rubber not sticking, not ice!

Originally posted by dobey:

If court is a poor option, there is sufficient evidence to show the shop is probably doing very questionable work, and multiple customers have had the same experience at that shop, it might be worth getting a local news outlet involved (assuming they still actually do news and research, and not just spout off about asinine nonsense like the news in the US does), as a starting place. Maybe it won't result in recovery of lost funds, but it might help put them in the spotlight and get some sort of action taken against them.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm just saying, but doesn't this happen every winter? Anyone driving up there should know by now that it's gonna get cold and they should be prepared! Why don't they go play outside in their swimsuit?

Here they tell us hell is hot! On the other hand, some song has the lyrics ”it got so hot I froze to death”. I've been cold, and that's bad, but I've also been hot. Saudi can be more than 125 degrees, with no shade, and the sand cutting into your skin. The temp isn't so much worse than deserts out West, but I'm not a fan. I was sure they'd sent me to hell. Equipment fails, and everything is too hot to touch. You'd think people from those places would be more placid.

For the shop, ethics don't follow make or model. A person/business either has them or they don't. A business either does quality work or they don't. Just because they got out of Fieros doesn't mean that others couldn't benefit from knowing what the owners/business did. Also, the part-time thing doesn't work as an excuse, either. I personally check the work of those under me, just as the owner checks up on me. If something is not to my standards, I make it right. Either the tech can do it right, or he can find employment elsewhere and I'll do it right. Even if I use a contractor, I enforce the same standards. For a big job like that, usually car shops bring you in to show you the work, and they tell you of anything unusual to expect. Also, there's the matter of old parts. Where did what they took off go? Did your friend sign a disposal form? Maybe it's just me, but the shop usually brings me in to check out the car while it's on the lift.

What is the saying? ”The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good people to do nothing.” something along those lines.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-15-2015).]

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

tshark

4388 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Odd thing. Is your -7F colder than mine, somehow? It isn't that cold here now, but I don't remember things being that bad, even at -75 degrees Farenheit. Are you using a different scale, or different units?

I remember blowouts, bursting hoses, solidified ”fluids”, tires frozen to the ground, and engines cracking, but not sliding on clear surfaces. I remember black ice that was a difficulty. I remember difficulty with lubrication. Fueling was apparently a difficulty. The ride in the car was terrible. Rubber seals didn't last long, and tires were good for 1 year. Tires were inflated with simething other than air. Of course, that was a dry climate.
PFF
System Bot
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post02-15-2015 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Odd thing. Is your -7F colder than mine, somehow? It isn't that cold here now, but I don't remember things being that bad, even at -75 degrees Farenheit. Are you using a different scale, or different units?

I remember blowouts, bursting hoses, solidified ”fluids”, tires frozen to the ground, and engines cracking, but not sliding on clear surfaces. I remember black ice that was a difficulty. I remember difficulty with lubrication. Fueling was apparently a difficulty. The ride in the car was terrible. Rubber seals didn't last long, and tires were good for 1 year. Tires were inflated with simething other than air. Of course, that was a dry climate.

Cold rubber is hard rubber, and thus less friction. People on tires that need to be replaced may find the roads a bit more "slippery" even without ice in cold weather. Usually it takes more than just cold weather to result in a car going off the road just because the tires have hardened a bit from the cold, though.
hurstfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hurstfieroSend a Private Message to hurstfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, the hard rubbery more slippery bit is what I was referring to. I think there may have been a light glazing of ice on the roads perhaps last night too though. I was driving in a heavy car with snow tires on, and i lost grip for a second going slowely around what appeared to be a clear roundabout.

As for people driving nuts up here in the cold, well we usually don't get this cold up here or get much snow in the last 20 years, so many drivers freak out at the sight of the white stuff on the ground, let alone less traction for any number of reasons. Although I hear LA is like that when it even rains lol.

I lived north of Minnesota in Thunder Bay for awhile. Went to -100 F for a day while I was up there as a child. Regularly would go to -40 etc (same in both scales roughly). People weren't crashing into each other like they were running from Godzilla, yet there was more snow, and steep hills to deal with. SMH.

As for the shop, if it IS the same owner, people should be made aware of it. I just am wondering if they've actually finally left the business this time, or it's merely another re-brand of the same crap.

tshark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2015 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, when it rains (which happens a lot here), people decide it's time to have accidents. Everyone's horn and finger work, but the brakes not so much. Every light at the bottom of a hill collects these drivers.

For your buddy, I just dunno. I'm on the wrong side of the border. Advise is available on PFF, but you have to handle the work yourself. We can help locate parts. When I'm not being suspicious, I'm still not much help with cars. I'd really recommend getting his other affairs in order. If and when he can afford a Fiero, start with one in good condition. This one can't have come from the shop in its current condition, because it's totally undriveable now.

Affording a Fiero isn't just the purchase. It's an ongoing expense.

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 02-15-2015).]

neph

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nephSend a Private Message to nephEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally caught ya Les! Serves me right for not logging on here in about two years. I finally figured out what you were trying to do for me. While I appreciate the generous offer to help get my Fiero back on the road, as I stated previously to you, I cannot and will not accept money from anyone.

I have not read this thread in it's entirety yet, but it certainly seems like a lot of negative comments came your way Les, and mine. Understandable. I will not justify on the internet why I sank so much time and money into a car only to get ripped off in the end. I will also not justify on the internet why I now choose to have the car sit in my driveway and spend what little money I earn on supporting my family instead. For everyone's information, as gracious as Les has tried to be, I would never have accepted a dime from a crowdfunding site to restore a car when I can barely support my family, it goes against my morals. I am also not one of those veteran's that cry help and give sob stories. I did my job, came home, and went back to my civilian job. I don't flaunt the fact I went overseas and I rarely talk about it. I don't want anything from anyone, nor would I accept anything from anyone. My friend, in his heart, truly felt he was doing the right thing. He really does have a heart of gold.

For those that made kindhearted comments, I thank you. And I thank Les, who has been a true friend of mine for many many years, despite what little time we do hang out these days. The days of a hobby car are behind me for the foreseeable future plus I've had an offer from someone to buy it anyway (I'm considering it).

I will say though Les, when your Father's Fiero returns from Vegas I will be extremely jealous, but I couldn't be happier to see it remain on the road and as a tribute to your Father, especially after the danger of you almost losing it before bringing it down to Windsor.

So please forgive Les for his approach to this matter. When Archie is done with his car, no doubt you will see some of the most beautiful Fiero photos posted in a long time.

I probably will not be back on here for some time, if at all as unfortunately, a car restoration is not a priority for me or my family at the moment. It's a little saddening anyway. I just felt I needed to defend my friend, and myself, and provide proof this was not a scam, I myself was kept in the dark about it, and I am not a crybaby looking for handouts. I'm a 22 year serving (and counting) member of the CAF (reserve), hard working middle class family man with priorities. Unfortunately, "The Beast" is not in the top 5 at the moment.

Cheers folks.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neph:

...My friend, in his heart, truly felt he was doing the right thing. He really does have a heart of gold.

...So please forgive Les for his approach to this matter. When Archie is done with his car, no doubt you will see some of the most beautiful Fiero photos posted in a long time.

I probably will not be back on here for some time, if at all as unfortunately, a car restoration is not a priority for me or my family at the moment. It's a little saddening anyway. I just felt I needed to defend my friend, and myself, and provide proof this was not a scam, I myself was kept in the dark about it, and I am not a crybaby looking for handouts. I'm a 22 year serving (and counting) member of the CAF (reserve), hard working middle class family man with priorities. Unfortunately, "The Beast" is not in the top 5 at the moment.

Cheers folks.

I think I may have missed this whole thing.
But heres to good things for you guys going forward.
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2015 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Neph, never say never. Hang on to the car, and down the road hopefully the opportunity to get her back on the road again will come along. When it does, make sure to come back here. This is the best place I know of for support, advice, and sourcing what you will need.

So eat some humble pie as I say Thank you for your service. Even if it was for Canada

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock