better braking by Northwoods2
Started on: 02-01-2015 08:58 AM
Replies: 163 (3516 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 02-18-2015 06:10 PM
Northwoods2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Any suggestions for better stopping power when depressing the brake peddle.? I thought I heard of up grades for larger rotors and even using a braking master cylinder off of a S-10 truck ? This would be one up grade that I would love. The comments I heard and jotted down are in the back of my head. Any help with this one ? Don't know where I heard the comments before, but help is appreciated again. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think your looking for the upgraded brake booster
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have an 88, the s-10 booster swap is a great upgrade.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're probably looking for this.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/060500.html
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2015 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should have my large booster banjos in stock in a few (several) weeks if you are willing to wait until then.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=64&products_id=350

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/072173-9.html

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

If you have an 88, the s-10 booster swap is a great upgrade.

Why do you mention only the 88? I did the S-10 swap on my 86 Fiero and am VERY happy with it.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:

Why do you mention only the 88? I did the S-10 swap on my 86 Fiero and am VERY happy with it.

It was my understanding that the booster swap worked best with the 88 braking system.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

I should have my large booster banjos in stock in a few (several) weeks if you are willing to wait until then.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=64&products_id=350

//www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/072173-9.html

With your banjo it will just be a matter of buying the S-10 booster and putting it in the car right?
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

With your banjo it will just be a matter of buying the S-10 booster and putting it in the car right?

You will need to remove the extension bracket from the Fiero booster by drilling out the 4 rivets and install it on the s-10 booster using 4 locknuts.
Northwoods2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank yous for the response. I appreciate it.
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 02:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:
It was my understanding that the booster swap worked best with the 88 braking system.

Ah, Ok. I was not aware of that. I can say that it made a huge difference on my 86.

My personal thoughts are If you are looking for an almost plug-n-play solution, the booster that sardonyx247 offers is it. No having to drill out rivets and remove the mount from your Fiero booster and bolt it on the new one. Also sardonyx's uses the factory OEM Fiero banjo, and not a part screwed onto the S-10 booster to extend the length of it's banjo.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BEFORE performing ANY 'upgrade' to the braking system, be sure that all of the brake system components are in proper working order and properly adjusted.
Glazed pads, inoperative e-brake, sticky caliper, deteriorated hoses, etc., will cause problems with braking performance.

A note to all posters about the S-10 booster.
When a Forum member mentions the need for better brakes, the FIRST THING that should be posted is NOT 'You need a S-10 booster'.
IT SHOULD BE TO CHECK OUT THE SYSTEM TO ENSURE PROPER WORKING ORDER.
Anything else is bad advice and is irresponsible.
Only after verifying system integrity should upgrades be suggested, whether it be a booster, rotors or other approaches.
jmbishop

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 169
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jmbishopSend a Private Message to jmbishopEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

When a Forum member mentions the need for better brakes, the FIRST THING that should be posted is NOT 'You need a S-10 booster'.
Only after verifying system integrity should upgrades be suggested, whether it be a booster, rotors or other approaches.

This!
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This! +1

The 88 stock system is good even by today's standards....
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad has a very good point but I say (irresponsibly) buy the brake booster and checkout your brakes while your waiting for it to arrive.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Vampire (edited 02-03-2015).]

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Vampire:

olejoedad has a very good point but I say (irresponsibly) buy the brake booster and checkout your brakes while your waiting for it to arrive.

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the booster on my 88 a few years ago. Rotors and pads were new, hoses were in good shape. I'm running larger wheels and tires and the brakes felt pretty good to stat with. Just the booster swap alone made a very noticeable difference in brake feel and stopping distance. Added braided hoses too which seemed to give me a firmer pedal. The better brakes have saved my butt from my heavy right foot on more than a few occasions. I would agree that it's important to make sure everything else is up to par before just sticking in a bigger booster. But having driven one before and after I would definitely say it's a worth while upgrade.
TXOPIE

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXOPIEClick Here to visit TXOPIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXOPIEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have the booster in several of the Fieros...makes a large difference..IMO
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got the Seville/lebaron brakes which almost put me through the windshield, wonder if the S-10 would put me a couple inches closer? Did the S10 in the last car and it was great. agree though all systems need to be in good shape to get the most out of the brakes.
RayOtton

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RayOttonSend a Private Message to RayOttonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Boy, I hope I don't get hammered here.

I've owned my Fiero for a couple of years and about 5000 miles of driving.

I've made three or four hard stops in that time.

In none of those situations did I think I needed better brakes. The stock brakes are fine on a stock car if they're in good order.

I did flush the old brake fluid when I first got the car but that's it.

In general, unless you're adding a bunch of HP spend the money and time on something else.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BEFORE performing ANY 'upgrade' to the braking system, be sure that all of the brake system components are in proper working order and properly adjusted.
Glazed pads, inoperative e-brake, sticky caliper, deteriorated hoses, etc., will cause problems with braking performance.

Plus many saying big booster is best have Booster problems in the first place... Some examples:
Blocked Vac line filter in the engine bay
vac line blocked or leaking
Dirt stuffed or Bad check valve at vac line attaches to booster
Dirt/corrosion and/or Leaking problem in the booster and the control valve.
1 of 2 diaphragms is Dead in the booster. Dual Diaphragm Booster is made for this type of failure. Booster will still try to work but you get heavier brake pedal and stopping distances are noticeably longer.

Braking distances in the OM are a rough guide of brake performance. Better tires, shocks, struts, etc can shorten OE stopping distance quit a bit. Crap parts can make the distances longer. GM used cheap suspension parts and tires to make Fiero. GT etc, w/ and w/o WS6, does upgrade the tires but get same crap shock and struts.

See my Cave, Brake Service and the rest of section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
JohnWPB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Plus many saying big booster is best have Booster problems in the first place... Some examples:

This argument is getting really old....
As any mechanic would know, none of the listed above items would change when upgrading to the S-10 booster. Those problems would still be there.

Is it really that hard for people to understand that the larger booster can create the same pressure on the calipers with less force on the pedal? It's really that simple! Nothing more, nothing less. Installing the new booster will not make your car stop using fairy dust and magic. It will not overcome bad calipers, pads, or vacuum leaks. It just applies the SAME force to the calipers, while using LESS force on the brake pedal.

I have driven around 20 different Fiero's. I can speak from personal experience what the difference feels like comparing stock with the upgraded booster. Many nay-sayers have never set foot in a car that has the booster installed. I have driven everything from prototypes, daily drivers, complete restorations, show cars.... Fieros ranging in years form 84's to 88's. I can personally say that the brakes in my Fiero, with the S-10 booster feel better than any of the other Fieros with stock brakes that I have driven. Will they stop my Fiero faster? NO. Just that... NO. It has the same tires, suspension and other parts as it did before. It just means I do not have to stand up on the pedal to get the same amount of braking power that I do now with around half the force pushing on the brake pedal.

The bottom line, when I started, I had normal 1986 Fiero brakes. New calipers and pads all around. They would stop the car, just like any other Fiero I have driven, just needing quite a bit of force on the pedal. The booster, calipers, lines and filters were all in great shape. Again, stock brakes, worked perfectly like just that, stock brakes. I would equate the stock Fiero brakes to being almost like manual brakes when you really needed to do a fast hard stop, as LOTS of pedal pressure is required.

After installing the booster, It's the same brakes, but now far less pedal force is needed to stop the car (to me it almost feels like half the force needed). Thus a more modern feeling and responsive braking system.

I can go as far to say, that if I has measured my stopping distance before I installed the S-10 booster and again after it was installed, it would be the same, or at least VERY close. I just simply do not have to push as hard on the brake pedal to stop now.

[This message has been edited by JohnWPB (edited 02-04-2015).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been around Fiero's for over 20 years now. Back when 87's were still very new yet. The brakes suck thing (84-87) has been an ongoing topic from way back. Most just do not like how they feel. They feel inadequate to many.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've been around Fiero's for over 20 years now. Back when 87's were still very new yet. The brakes suck thing (84-87) has been an ongoing topic from way back. Most just do not like how they feel. They feel inadequate to many.

Aren't they basically Chevette brakes on the front?
E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post02-04-2015 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone tried different bore diameter masters,
and/or a vacuum pump instead of the engine vacuum.
Northwoods2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2015 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Northwoods2Send a Private Message to Northwoods2Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of the responses. This is my 4th Fiero. Yes the brakes need the modern day feel. I don't want to stand on the pedal, and at the other end of the action, the small disc's don't have to suffer. It would be nice to have a little larger disc's too. The pistons in the caliper's would probably still be fine.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnWPB:
This argument is getting really old....
As any mechanic would know, none of the listed above items would change when upgrading to the S-10 booster. Those problems would still be there.
Believe whatever you what...

"They would stop the car, just like any other Fiero I have driven, just needing quite a bit of force on the pedal."
I've driven many cars and trucks. I had several Ford w/o PB too. I've seen many PB cars with same brake effort as my Fiero. Some are a bit more. A few others are less.

"The booster, calipers, lines and filters were all in great shape." Really? Booster Condition or Failure isn't easy to see. A Dead Booster can look Perfect on the outside. Dead Diaphragm likely won't show up in an X-ray. All that needs is a pin hole or two to kill a diaphragm. Dirt stuck in the control valve is easy to miss because that is inside the booster.

"I would equate the stock Fiero brakes to being almost like manual brakes when you really needed to do a fast hard stop, as LOTS of pedal pressure is required."
This is a common symptom/complaint of booster problems. Even a Plugged filter can cause this. High Effort is because Booster problems like can't pump down fast enough to keep up. High Effort often mean you have to compress booster spring and MC to get brake pressure or have 1 dieing/dead diaphragm. Worse, if you race then often engine can't pump down the booster because you at high throttle most times. Many cars use electric vac pumps for this and other reasons. (Many cam setups causes vacuum issues.) Just have the filter could reduce air flow enough to be problems for racing. (GM deleted the Booster Filter in 87.)

-----

Most times do not mean close to 100% blocking or leaking. (Big leaks screws up engine Idle or even car won't start.) Block filter, pinch hose, etc, can affect recover time between using brake pedal because can affects time for engine to suck down the booster volume. Fast "pump down" is why booster needs ~1/2" diam pipe/hose.
Added Booster "Air" Volume in normal driving could help hiding pluming issues.

The valve from sardonyx247's first page...

Most times Check valve issues go away w/ old booster because New and Rebuilt Boosters often have New check valve. Companies know that the old valves can wear out, etc. Just look at Rock Auto, AZ, NAPA, etc.
Dieing/dirty valve then booster have trouble keep enough vacuum when engine vacuum is close to 0" hg when you hit the gas. (Same problem for other devices using Vacuum to operate, like cruise control, w/ iffy check valves.) Keeping vacuum in the booster is important because that's the booster's "backup"/reserve vacuum. Is why most Stock Vac Boosters on any vehicle can use the brakes 2 to 4 times when engine dies on the road.

As I've said in the past... I don't hate the big booster itself.
What should disturb people is many install it as a band-aid fix and leave major problems untouched.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-05-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32180 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by Northwoods2:
Thanks for all of the responses. This is my 4th Fiero. Yes the brakes need the modern day feel. I don't want to stand on the pedal, and at the other end of the action, the small disc's don't have to suffer. It would be nice to have a little larger disc's too. The pistons in the caliper's would probably still be fine.
"I don't want to stand on the pedal" means something is wrong.
Parts could be bad, like dieing booster or Iffy calipers.
Parts could be wrong application... Example, Some use "Race" pads for street use. Some race pads don't get hot enough to work. Pads need to reach X temp to work. X temp directly related to pad formula.

That is no surprise. Many want cheapest "fix" and little work as possible.
Restoring my 87 brakes and using current ceramic pads (Wagner TQ), SAE J1401 hoses, etc isn't cheap. That job cost me $400+ in parts alone. With OE booster and left foot gas pedal mod, takes little pedal effort to stop the car, even in panic stops.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone replaced the old booster with a new standard booster and if so can they report back? It does make sense to me that a 30 year old booster may be worn out.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Has anyone replaced the old booster with a new standard booster and if so can they report back? It does make sense to me that a 30 year old booster may be worn out.

Q1... Not me.
Q2... Yes, Can and Does happen but always check vac line, check valve and filter is the car has one. (Again GM Deleted the filter for Fiero starting in 87 model year)

FSM is good for booster "service" that even dealers don't use. Safer and easier for them just replace the whole thing.
Charts etc covers "Excessive Brake Pedal Effort" but doesn't give a good definition of Excessive means beside using two feet to work.
Not allot of data, like testing specs, for this item at most sites.

I'm looking at FMVSS 105 (Standard active when Fiero was made) right now to see if they list "normal" pedal effort but is hard to read and many specs are burring in SAE docs.
So far I only find says:

S6.13 Control forces.
Unless otherwise specified, the force applied to a brake control is not less than 15 lb and not more than 150 lb.
If that mean Pedal Force, I think so, then is useless for testing here to say Excessive means.
Does mean that if big booster needs less than 15 lb to activate the brake... the booster would fail FMVSS testing used in Fiero.
The "not less than 15 lb" is to prevent pedal dragging drivers for dragging the brake pads/shoes. Brake Lights on is very anoiding but often not a safety problem because of that spec.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-05-2015).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know the fiero was a parts bin car.. g.m. used as much parts as they could from other cars to keep cost down.
The front end is chevette from what I've read, and the rear is Pontiac 6000, What vehicle bin did they raid for the stock booster, and the master..??
Being the car was engineered more as a computer car, than a sports car.. they most likely didn't science out the system..
I'm having a hard time believing the stock booster is the cause of the need to stand on the pedal feeling.. and the s-10 booster just masking the true problem.. the master having the wrong bore size, and/or pedal leverage built into the pedal box assembly, or lack of it..
I know I can't lock up the brakes on my Indy.. but it is 30+years old.. and with no history of what is on it (pads, age, rubber hoses,etc) I can't blame the oem system..
I do know that, brake pads need to de-gas in use, and solid rotors hold heat more than vented, making the pads hotter faster and longer, it's all about surface area, and a balance of cooling and heat..
I do know on other cars I've had with solid rotors, grooving the pads, made a difference, but also took some of the pads "area" away from contact of the rotor..
I may just because, drill a set of rotors, or groove them.. g.m. even grooved full sized vented rotors, because of the gas from pads..
sorry for the somewhat hyjack
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suspect that a lot of the poor brake performance complaints are due to rear brakes out of adjustment from not using the e brake on a regular basis.
It does make a difference when the rear calipers also contribute .......
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would suspect that a lot of the poor brake performance complaints are due to rear brakes out of adjustment from not using the e brake on a regular basis.

Good point
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2015 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm trying to wrap my head around that, but the hyd part of the system isn't effected by the e brake , the pads and piston(s) doesn't back off from the rotor, like a drum set up does.
not using the e brake should only effect the mechanical e brake not the fluid hyd side of it..
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2015 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:
I'm trying to wrap my head around that, but the hyd part of the system isn't effected by the e brake , the pads and piston(s) doesn't back off from the rotor, like a drum set up does.
not using the e brake should only effect the mechanical e brake not the fluid hyd side of it..

x2
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See the Ogre's Cave...Rear Brake Service

Parking brakes should self-adjust but often don't. GM said the rear disk brakes require periodic use of the hand brake to maintain proper adjustment. I'm not going to try to explain why. It's just the way they are built. (It's essentially a design problem.)
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You wouldn't believe the number of Fieros I have worked on that came in with surface rust on the back rotor surfaces.....
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
See the Ogre's Cave...Rear Brakes Service

Parking brakes should self-adjust but often don't. GM said the rear disk brakes require periodic use of the hand brake to maintain proper adjustment. I'm not going to try to explain why. It's just the way they are built. (It's essentially a design problem.)

To expand: (Short version)
That BS Comes from Recall NHTSA # 91V055000 GM # 86-C-28, 88-5-19A and others and Recall applies only to Manual Trans on 82-86 Camaro, 84-86 Fiero, 82-86 Firebird. This Recall was after Recall All Fiero for "NON-COLLISION ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRES"
See my Cave, Do You Recall? First 2 digits of NHTSA/GM # is year.
GM# 88-5-19A applies to 82-88 Firebird, 84-87 Fiero, 83-88 6000 STE w/ Auto trans but is not part of NHTSA recall.

Rear brakes won't meet FMVSS 105 rules if you need to use P-bake to adjust.

S5. Requirements.
S5.1 Service brake systems. Each vehicle shall be equipped with a service brake system acting on all wheels. Wear of the service brake shall be compensated for by means of a system of automatic adjustment. ...

But GM blamed Owners for not using P-brakes because you find more TSB, like GM 88-5-10 "PARK BRAKE SERVICE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE," and other Doc's from GM and Aftermarket w/ Manual adjustments that fuels the Myth.

Using P-brakes or any other manually adjustment might help but often is useless. I used My method for years because using P-brake didn't help. Had to adjust every year... Even many rebuild calipers have same problems or worse.
Only thing help was installing Recall Piston kit. (Kits are gone.) Changes you can see, The new piston looses yellow plug, moves Vent hole, and has "Black Oxide" coating. Piston has internal changes too.

Sorry I haven't put the info in my cave... I keep forgetting to update the two pages.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-06-2015).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A poorly adjusted rear parking brake (or bad adjuster assembly) will allow the caliper piston and therefore the rear brake pads to find their resting position too far from the rotor surface. This then requires more pedal travel to move the pads the extra distance. This makes for a soft pedal with excessive travel. While the pedal is traveling excessively, the front brakes are starting to activate and the car starts to slow with minimal rear braking.

Pedal firmness is largely a function of rear brakes... if the pedal is soft, something normally isn't right with the rear brakes.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2015 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:
A poorly adjusted rear parking brake (or bad adjuster assembly) will allow the caliper piston and therefore the rear brake pads to find their resting position too far from the rotor surface. This then requires more pedal travel to move the pads the extra distance. This makes for a soft pedal with excessive travel. While the pedal is traveling excessively, the front brakes are starting to activate and the car starts to slow with minimal rear braking.

Pedal firmness is largely a function of rear brakes... if the pedal is soft, {ogre edit}or you have low pedal,{edit edit} something normally isn't right with the rear brakes.

Basically Correct.
Worse case the pistons will freeze totally in the bore or more likely blow the back off the piston and drag the pads.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 02-06-2015).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock