better braking by Northwoods2
Started on: 02-01-2015 08:58 AM
Replies: 163 (3518 views)
Last post by: thesameguy on 02-18-2015 06:10 PM
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock '88 rears with Greenstuff pads (they're awful, but the best that's available) and I don't know what rotors - they were on the car when I got it. Blazer MC. C6 calipers (don't spread as easily as C5). Stoptech C6 rotors. Stock C6 pads. Stainless lines. ATE fluid. Absolutely nothing special and nothing expensive. I've been thrashing on them for 18 months and enjoyed every minute. I wish I could replicate this setup on other cars I have as it's about the best bang for the buck I've encountered. Unfortunately, both my Saab and my XR4Ti are 4-lug wheels so redrilling 5-lug rotors won't work. My only options for them are very expensive Wilwood et al kits, or at least very expensive rotors. The XR already has what I think the biggest factory 4-lug rotor there is, the 12.1" from a Focus SVT. They're gripped by calipers from an SN95 Mustang GT, which are very similar (but quite bit stouter) to the Corvette caliper.

[This message has been edited by thesameguy (edited 02-17-2015).]

IP: Logged
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything equivalent available for the 85 GT?
JohnWPB

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2015 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnWPBClick Here to visit JohnWPB's HomePageSend a Private Message to JohnWPBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

Is there anything equivalent available for the 85 GT?

You can do all of that on an 85 GT, at far as I know. There are quite a few caliper choices, Corvette, Le Baron, Grand-AM ect. If doing all of that, with the Blazer Master Cylinder, I would also suggest adding the S-10 booster IF you want a softer feeling pedal. It will provide pretty much the same stopping / braking, just not having to press on the brake pedal as hard to do so.
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2015 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I like the extra effort/travel as it makes it easier to feel where the brakes are, but that's probably personal preference. I am, admittedly, probably losing a little stopping distance to reaction time as it takes a little more than optimal pedal travel to get good brake bite, but I'm not mad at it.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock